Roamio Plus 6 Tuner Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by KennethW, Jan 25, 2015.

1. KennethW

KennethW Member

Dec 15, 2003

Advertisements

Hi All - I am considering upgrading one tivo premiere 2 tuner to a Roamio Plus 6 tuner and replacing a Series 2 with a Tivo Mini. Hoping I can get a decent 10 year loyalty customer price on lifetime service.

My questions are:

Are there any known issues with 6 tuners. I had loads of problems getting all my Motorola Tuning adapter channels to come thru after adding my Moca network in my new home. The Cox Omaha tech determined that I was not getting a strong enough signal to the TA. I am concerned that if I move to a 6 tuner, I will have problems again with signal strength. Does the Tivo amplify the signal internally ? Wondering if others have had any problems with the 6 tuners.

Next, Does the Mini perform well over a MOCA network? I wondered if there was any lag using a tuner on the Roamio for the Mini and if there was any or much of a delay. I imagine there could be some for live TV. Can anyone share their experience.

Also, Is the Roamio harddrive upgrade process pretty straightforward? I upgraded hard drives in all my previous series 1, 2 and premiere tivos. I would plan to replace the 1 TB drive in the Roamio Plus with a 4 TB drive immediately.

I appreciate any feedback,
    Thanks
    Ken

2. davidg716

davidg716 Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Do you have a moca filter before the tuning adapter? (split the signal going to the tuning adapter plug one into the tivo, and the other to the filter then into the tuning adapter) If not that would probably solve that problem. The mini works very well over moca, better than it would over ethernet as it only has a 10/100 port and it gets about 250mbps over moca.

There is little of any delay, I am very pleased with how well the mini works.

3. joewom

joewom Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Hard drive has been over covered on the forums. But 3tb and under plug and play. 4tb over requires some knowledge or people like weakness or dvrdaddy too get them to work.

4. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    The Roamio does have an internal amp to compensate for signal loss due to having 6 tuners. Because of this, many people tend to have a problem with the signal being too strong rather than too weak, and have to add extra splitters before the Roamio to get it to behave correctly.

Upgrading the hard drive on the Roamio is super easy (up to 3TB drives). Just drop in the drive and it formats automatically.

For the tuning adapter, follow the advice above. Don't use the coax passthrough on the tuning adapter, especially if you are using a MoCA network. Use a splitter and have one coax cable go to the TA and the other to the Roamio, and use a MoCA filter in front of the TA. This is exactly what the Cox TA installation instructions recommend:

http://media.cox.com/support/print_media/tv/equipment/user_guides/cable_box/InstallingYourMotoTA.pdf

5. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...

Advertisements

There is a thread to do a 4 TB drive in the Tivo Upgrade Center forum.

6. KennethW

KennethW Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Thanks everyone, I found the 4TB drive upgrade thread.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=517860

It looks like Telemark has made it pretty easy on all of us (I hope). I went ahead and ordered the 4 TB drive (WD40EURX) drive from Newegg.

Thanks again for all the advice and support. Wish me luck.

Thanks - Ken

7. evanborkow

evanborkow Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Good luck! May you live long enough to watch all that programming.

8. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    What kind of wish is that? 4 TB is 637 hours of HD programming. The average person watches 4 hours of TV a night (let's kindly ignore the fact that a TCF denizen is likely to be more enthusiastic about TV and less likely to actually have a life) so your projecting about six months of life for this chap? :eek:

9. KennethW

KennethW Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Hi Guys - Got my Roamio, Got the drive upgraded to 4 TB and I am up and running except for a not authorized channel problem posted below. I wanted to keep these threads separate.

The reason for this reply is that I have a question on the Mini which I also purchased to replace Series 2 attached to a cox cable box. I read that the Mini will not be able to tune encrypted live TV. Does that mean? Can I watch live HD channels and HD Premium channels with the Mini? If that is the case I might just decide to keep my premiere with the $2 a month cable card charge. Although I do really hate these cable cards and tuning adapters. I have not opened the mini and plugged it in yet.

Please advise.

V58 Channel Not Authorized Issue:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=525245

Thanks
    Ken

10. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    The Mini absolutely does tune any channel you can get on your Roamio...it is the Roamio that actually tunes the channel, not the Mini!

The person in the thread you linked can't get those channels on their Premiere DVR. That is most likely a cablecard pairing issue.

11. KennethW

KennethW Member

Dec 15, 2003
    One more question on the Roamio networking.

I may be splitting hairs here but does anyone have a compelling reason to use one method over the other for networking the Romaio :

1. using MOCA
    2. or Ethernet (supplied via a MOCA adapter to a Gigibit switch to Tivo)
    3. or both ethernet and moca (it was an option)

I am currently using the ethernet option as that i what I had rigged up to my premiere.

FYI - I plan to use the MOCA method to network the Mini as it only has a 10/100 fast ethernet port on it (from what I understand). MOCA in this case would be faster.

Thanks
    Ken

12. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    If available, I would use MoCA directly on the TiVo.

If you have ethernet at the location, you can use it. There is no reason to use a MoCA adapter and then plug ethernet into the TiVo if the TiVo has MoCA built-in (and most MoCA adapters have 10/100 ethernet.)

You only use MoCA + ethernet if you are using that TiVo to bridge your ethernet network to the MoCA network (instead of using a MoCA adapter.)

If you have more than one TiVo on MoCA, all the streaming traffic will be contained to the MoCA network and not eat up ethernet bandwidth for use on other devices.

13. KennethW

KennethW Member

Dec 15, 2003
    OK - Thanks, that makes sense. I will try the MOCA connection to the Tivo.

The reason for the MOCA adapter to ethernet gigaibit switch was to wire other ethernet enabled devices such as the smart tv , slingbox, and another basement tivo premiere directly below this one wired by ethernet fished from this cabinet to the basement.

Thanks again for the reply.

14. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    If you still want to use the gigabit switch, you can plug coax into the TiVo, plug the switch into the TiVo (via ethernet), and then use MoCA + ethernet to use the TiVo as a bridge. You will no longer need a MoCA adapter in that cabinet at all.

15. KennethW

KennethW Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Nice - Does the mini work that way too ? If so I could get rid of my moca adapters

16. joewom

joewom Member

Dec 10, 2013
    the plus and pro or prem 4 and XL4 can only bridge moca. Not a mini.

17. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    That's my only gripe with the Mini. I wouldn't need any MoCA adapters at all if the Mini could bridge.

18. h2oskierc

h2oskierc I'm a 2-Tuner

Dec 16, 2010
    Minnesnowta
    The mini can use moca, though. Why do to want the mini to be the bridge?

19. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    In one room I have a Mini and a Blu-Ray player. If the Mini could act as a bridge, I could plug the BD player into the Mini's ethernet port and get it online without any additional parts. As it is now, I either have to split the coax and use a MoCA adapter, or put the BD player on WiFi, or run ethernet to the room.

In another room I have a Premiere Elite/XL4 and a BD player. Coax runs into the Premiere, ethernet runs from the Premiere to the BD player. Simple, fast and easy.

Hopefully the next version of the Mini will contain a bridge chip.

20. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN

Your math is pretty wonky. You're not taking into account the fact that he continues to record shows during that period of time. You assume he records nothing during that time until he runs out of previously recorded shows to watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk