Roamio Plus 1TB to 2TB swap - Should I .....

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by kebmod, Oct 18, 2019.

1. kebmod

kebmod New Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Upstate NY

Advertisements

Hi,

When swapping out 1TB to 2TB on Roamio Plus, can I keep cable card pairing information?

I do not care about the recordings, only pairing, the season pass is already backed up using kmttg.

I understand the cable card info is on the drive and if I remove old HD and insert new HD (swap) I likely need to pair up again. These days that process is painfully long.

Might I instead be able to use DVRBARs and not select root, use MFSTools 3.3?

Thanks

2. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Don't know about DVRBARs, but MFSTools 3.3 should be helpful. You should be able to keep everything that is currently on the 1TB drive. I'd suggest starting with post #2 of the DIY 10TB Roamio thread.

3. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    If you use MFSTools (specifically the MFSCopy function, followed by MFSAdd and MFSAddfix to expand the space to fit the new bigger drive) you will have an effective copy of the existing drive - so you won't have to redo GS or cablecard pairing (and also keep your recordings).

Just a warning, depending on how much is on the old drive it can take quite some time.

Edit: Snerd and I wrote our comments at the same time - use his link for more information, very useful.

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Up to 4TB you don't even need to expand the drive afterwards. The mfscopy function in MFS Tools will take care of that in one step. You can skip the 'a' in the '-ai' mfscopy command line if you don't care about the actual recordings, but if your 1TB drive still works I would just copy the whole thing.

DvrBARS does NOT expand into additional space during a restore and it wasn't written for Roamios or later. Its Full Backup/Restore mode would work, but it wouldn't save any time and you would need at least 1TB of space on your computer to hold the temporary image.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Any hardware change will lose pairing. But you may not notice unless you have premium channels. I swapped a hard drive and waited a year before getting it paired again. Sorry your feed is so slow. Mine does it in five minutes.

6. kebmod

kebmod New Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Thank You, everyone!

To keep cable card pairing info, by consensus, I should and will use MFS Tools.

Just now I made the usb boot disk fromv3.3. Another thought. I used DVRBARs a long time ago and was so tickled or impressed with its cleanliness simplicity speed and features - had to ask about that too.

After I swap 1TB for 2TB and finish, I will post success for the next to review.

In the moment, just tonight, I was rerouted to help a friend who's down-hard with a broken carver tfm 55, keep telling him dont run at 2-ohm continous high vol, without magic smoke will appear. I have one can loan so that now makes me his *best* friend tonight! ;-)

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    In the cable card Conditional Access screen there is an item: "VAL:" which will be "V" when the card is paired. Let us know what yours is after the HDD swap.
    ccCA.JPG
    Good luck.

8. kebmod

kebmod New Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Upstate NY
    One more thing ...

JoeKustra : Hey, I will also (first) swap in a "bare" 2TB to see if pairing will remain as I do not have premium channels. Very curious...

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Pairing and "Channel List" are not the same thing. But compare the Pairing screen numbers after the drive swap:
    ccPair.JPG

10. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I had no idea one was supposed to re-pair the cable card. I put a 3TB drive in my Roamio Plus about three years ago. Just swapped drives, no PC-based tools used. I don't have any premium channels, just expanded basic cable. Still got all my channels.

I checked the cable card Conditional Access screen and it shows Val: ? 0x45
    So I guess that means it isn't paired. Oh well. Is there any reason to do it at this point? Just for the unlikely event I add premium channel?

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Like I said, I waited a year. But if you get free time.... BTW, that 0x45 means that card has been paired 45 times.

12. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    If I have to reboot my TiVo, I get a CableCard screen for each tuner within a short period after coming back online.

-KP

13. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    That might prevent the copy of your original 1T2 to 2TB from working. I believe the point of the copy/clone is to make the larger drive match an info stored in the TiVo flash memory so that it won't automatically format the drive.

14. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Yeah, that's what I thought too, but the "DIY 10TB Roamio" thread clearly says otherwise.

15. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Wow, I haven't thought of Carver amps in years! I remember wanting one way back when. I think it was the cube one (M400?). :)

Scott

16. sliderbob

sliderbob Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ogden, UT
    When I rolled back my Tivo Roamio 8tb Hydra to the TE3 I lost cablecard pairing-didn't even remove the drive and it lost pairing. BOY! was I mad. Started using OTA instead.

17. kebmod

kebmod New Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Hi everyone, All went well.
    Thank you ALL for all the comments for Roamio Plus hard drive swap from 1TB to 2TB HD.

I received a bad 2TB WD purple drive from Amazon, that caused several days of anguish, no fault to Amazon.

By the time I received a functional 2TB drive, Roamio, true to legend, broke in fair mutiny; seems the family relation between motherboard and hard drive swore unclean.

As I held Tivo suddenly went really noisy (sounds like front end wheel bearings on a 4x4, complete with sloppy steering aka comparable to - Tivo freeze frame and lock/reboot etc...flickiering lights on Roamio front). Scary.

18. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Vintage audio is fascinating. Carver had great stuff as well as the Sunfire line of equipment.