Roamio OTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rjcataniajr, Dec 19, 2017.

1. rjcataniajr

rjcataniajr roscoe

May 4, 2015

Advertisements

OK, trying to narrow down my problem. Having a problem receiving a local channel using OTA through TIVO ROAMIO OTA. Use to come in just fine. Not now. If I disconnect Roamio and feed antenna cable directly to TV. It works. The channel also comes in OK on other TV's not connected to Roamio. Could the tuners in the Tivo box be the issue?
    thanks!

2. PSU77

PSU77 Member

Nov 3, 2017
    What's the signal strength showing in the Roamio for that channel?

3. rjcataniajr

rjcataniajr roscoe

May 4, 2015
    just checked, it's 42

4. PSU77

PSU77 Member

Nov 3, 2017
    That's pretty low. Normally the signal strength is a little lower going through the Tivo than directly into a TV. Can you place the antenna at a better location (e.g. attic or outside) or get a better antenna

5. 19972000muskrat

19972000muskrat Active Member

Jan 2, 2008

Advertisements

Did it start working?

6. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    rjcataniajr, I've found that on my Roamio OTA that if a signal level is 40 or below then forget watching that channel. If the signal is in the low-40s then depending on "quality" and whether it's high tide or low tide then you may get good reception.

In comparing other channels to the problematical one...do they all have higher signal strengths? It does sound as though there's something goofy going on with your Roamio, though.

Signal readings are relative to the electronics measuring them. The Roamio OTA will level down to around a 72 signal strength at the maximum via automatic-gain-control (AGC)....this keeps the receiver happy with strong signals without having overload problems from too strong of a signal.

I'm no electronic genius so the above is subject to correction by someone smarter than me. ;):D

And like muskrat above asked....did it start working?