Roamio OTA with Cablecard V53

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by GR3, Jan 2, 2018.

1. GR3

GR3 New Member

Jan 2, 2018

Advertisements

I bought one of the Roamio OTA models and picked up the cablecard bracket on Ebay, but am having no success in getting started. Every channel is coming up with a V53 error.

I have a FIOS motorola cablecard (have gone through a few) that I can see the parameters for in the cablecard info section. All of the indicators appear that it correctly activated and paired, but I'm still not seeing any channels. Signal strength looks pretty good (88-90) as well as SNR (35-35dB). I didn't have any luck with re-running the guided setup. I also went ahead and reloaded using some old rabbit ears I had around and that worked. I pulled the cablecard bracket, checked the pins (good continuity through each pin), and re-installed the card, but had no luck.

The FIOS tech that came out today indicated that all the signal levels looked good and thought that it was likely an issue with the box. Everything I've read online implies that a Roamio OTA should work fine with the cablecard bracket, but have I missed something? Any ideas what I can do at this point?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Re-Run Guided setup to reflect the source (OTA Vs. cable)?

3. GR3

GR3 New Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Yes, I went cable > OTA > cable, re-running the guided setup in between each.

4. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    The last time this problem was reported, there was a pin problem. Take a hard look.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

In Diagnostics, cable card section, does it show a channel list received and a number for the VCT? Ignore the "Paired=" parameter. Since you have good signals, it sounds like bad mapping. Hydra or classic UI? I never tried my OTA with no card and Hydra on cable.

6. GR3

GR3 New Member

Jan 2, 2018
    So, in going to check out what these settings were, I re-attached the cable that had been connected to the other cable box I'm using in the interim while fighting with this. Suddenly though, things started working! I was able to view a number of different cable channels I expected to see including ones like ESPN that I know are encrypted. While excited and confused (since nothing had changed) by something actually working, I do get intermittent V53 errors about every 5-10 minutes where it all stops again. It seems like perhaps changing the channel gets things working again (not solid on that).

Power cycling the box to see if that cleared anything up, everything came back as V53 across all channels. After futzing around, I went ahead and disconnected, waited about a minute, and re-connected the cable - and V53 went away and the picture came back. I still saw the periodic break back to V53.

Now I find myself hopeful but even more puzzled. I'm not sure why booting up with the cable attached would cause issues that would work if the cable were "cycled".

7. GR3

GR3 New Member

Jan 2, 2018
    I forgot to mention - once it was working, I saw channel list received and # for VCT.

8. GR3

GR3 New Member

Jan 2, 2018
    To close this out - it wound up being the cablecard bracket. After swapping it out, everything worked. Thanks all for the suggestions here!

9. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Told ya!