Roamio OTA. What power supply look like? What specs does it have?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Johnny Danger, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016

Advertisements

I am trying to get my roamio OTA working. I am missing the power supply but I know it must be around my house somewhere.

Can anyone tell me the power specs this requires or give me a general description of what it looks like? I have boxes of power adapters for random things and not sure what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help.

2. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
  3. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    The views guide (manual) says the 6 tuner models use 1.0A power supply, and the 4 tuner models use 0.6A, but those numbers are for the Input (120V) current - it does not specify the 12V output current. I think the Roamios came with 1.0A power bricks, and the Bolts came with 2.5A.

TiVo sells new Roamio power cords for $6, and Bolt power cords are $2 more, so that tends to supports the idea that the Roamio bricks are lower power.

But the real information is on the power brick itself. I do not have a Roamio to look at, but I DO have a spare Bolt power adapter, and it shows the input is 1.0A, and the output is 12.0V, 3.0A

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...

Advertisements

Logic tells me that if you have a TiVo Roamio AND a TiVo branded power adapter that has 12V output, it MUST be the correct power adapter? I think that all earlier models of TiVos had internal power supplies, so what else have you owned that could have used a TiVo 12V power adapter?

5. JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018
    The Roamio OTA (and Roamio Basic) will need a 2.0A adapter. The A9200/A9300 Minis use a 1.0A adapter. I tried using the Mini power supply on a Roamio and it would not let the Roamio start.

It sounds like you found the power supply to a Mini and not the Roamio.

Johnny Danger and jrtroo like this.
  6. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    This you are right, its the Roamio OTA/basic. It required more amps to work. Once I got more amps in the power supply, it started working again.

7. SOGLAD

SOGLAD Thank You ALL !

Aug 17, 2019
    California

I agree... use a 2.5 A supply if you have one. The hard drive alone uses a LOT of current, PLUS there is your mambo CPU and more!... Better to have your supply cool(er), happy and calm. Also any extra current won't matter, it just won't be used.

BETTER to have your TiVo supply 'coasting' with current to spare ~ rather than a supply that is quite warm and perhaps slightly 'stressed' with a supply at just 1 amp. Although these supplies are 'regulated', when supply FAILS a whole LOT of things may happen, like a killer 'voltage spike' when a part or regulator fails! Even a short in your TiVo may be enough to push your supply over the edge?

And guess where that possible "spike" goes?

For those that panic or say 'no-way'; think of your car battery and all of the AMPS it has... your car radio (in example) uses just the current it needs... or a turn light bulb... same. They draw only the current they need.

I confess that recently I could not find my Roamio factory power supply, so currently (no pun intended) I am using a 12 Volt 5 Amp regulated supply instead... running SUPER cool!

SOGLAD

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019