Roamio OTA Vs. Premier OTA and PyTivo / PlayOn

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by JerryAC, Jul 22, 2015.

1. JerryAC

JerryAC Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Harrison, AR

Advertisements

I am a past Tivo subscriber with a 2 tuner Premier OTA and a Series 3 HD Tivo. It has been about 3 years since they were active. To reactivate the Premiere would require a 1 yr contract @$14.99 / mo.

Now that I can buy a Roamio OTA with 4 tuners for $49.99 and a 1 year commitment @ $14.99 / mo., is there any argument to be made to activate the Premiere, outside of the $49.99 savings up-front? (I am also aware of the higher up-front charge of $99.99 / $149.99 for the Roamio equipment to gain the lower monthly fee(s) of $9.99 / $6.95, respectively.)

I also have PlayOn / PlayLater HD installed on my laptop. In the past I have used PyTivo with my existing Tivo's to record on-demand content through PlayOn on the Tivo. Is this still possible with the new Roamio?

Thanks

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Go with the Roamio... It has better OTA tuners, has 4 tuners instead of 2, and it can be paired with a Mini(s) if you want to watch in other rooms. The only advantage of a 2 tuner Premier is that it can also be used to record cable, where a Roamio OTA is OTA only.

If you think you might want cable support at some point you can get a refurb Roamio Basic, which is essentially the same as the OTA but with a CableCARD slot too, for the same $50 right now...

https://www.tivo.com/roamiopma15