Roamio OTA vs. Edge

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ems_pilot, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Dec 7, 2020 #1 of 18
    ems_pilot

ems_pilot New Member

Jan 12, 2018

Advertisements

My Roamio OTA is making strange clicking noises from time to time... maybe even a squeaky bearing noise. I can replace the HDD, (WD Red 3TB), if that’s it. Don’t know if the fan is available if it’s the fan.

question: Is there an advantage to moving to the Edge? It seems like the Roamio might be better than the newer model?
    Thanks

2. Dec 7, 2020 #2 of 18
  3. Dec 7, 2020 #3 of 18
    brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    I haven't seen anything in the Edge that's compelling enough to dump the Roamio.

ems_pilot likes this.
  4. Dec 7, 2020 #4 of 18
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    A few PROs of the EDGE for ANTENNA, relative to a Roamio OTA:
    • Faster processor
    • 4K (marginal, given no 4K OTA content)
    • Built-in mobile streaming
    The drawbacks, depending on one's point-of-view, might include:
    • TE4-only
    • 2.5" HDD form factor
    • only 2 tuners in the "EDGE for ANTENNA" (unless you can find the discontinued 4-tuner model)
    • HDMI-only video output (vs composite option)

p.s. Neither model has built-in MoCA capabilities.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  5. Dec 7, 2020 #5 of 18
    MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island

Advertisements

I may be off, but I think The only difference is 4K capability in the Edge... very little 4K broadcasting at this time and Most of the 4K tv’s upconvert a 1080p signal quite well... If it were me I would try to keep the Roamio

6. Dec 7, 2020 #6 of 18
    ems_pilot

ems_pilot New Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Our HDTV is 4K capable (Samsung). I wonder if we will notice any difference with 4K. I’m old and remember when we had to rotate the antenna or we watched snow. Today’s HDTV are incredible....

7. Dec 7, 2020 #7 of 18
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As mentioned above, the recordings, themselves, won't be in 4K, since there isn't any 4K content broadcast via OTA ... nor will any current TiVo be able to record future 4K content broadcast using the ATSC 3.0 standard, at least not without some external adapter to handle the tuning.

* prior post updated w/ 4K disclaimer

8. Dec 7, 2020 #8 of 18
    MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I remember rotating the antenna also.. turning the dial and hearing the clicking noise:) I really don’t think that you’re going to notice a big difference.. most stations are broadcasting in HD, not 4k, so your tv will up convert the signal from either tivo.

9. Dec 7, 2020 #9 of 18
    just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    A better fan kit... https://www.amazon.com/WeaKnees-TiVo-Roamio-Replacement-Base/dp/B07CYKLRTW

Fan drops right in and comes with tools. Almost silent in operation and WeaKnees has a great video for install.

10. HoTatII

HoTatII Active Member

Sep 21, 2016
    And for my usual situation, another advantage of the Edge is that due to some strange multipath reception problem. Several key channels suffer moderate to severe picture and sound breakup on both my Roamios and a Bolt, making them all essentially handicapped boxes.

Only the tuners of the Edge has been able to deal with this multipath issue and is rock solid and stable on all channels. ...

TIVO cus. support has been useless of course offering me any help out of this dilemma which I can accept for the Roamios (one has lifetime ser. and the other is very old and my sister pays the $6.63/mo.). But what's especially irritating is making me continue to pay the ~$22 a month on the contract for the Bolt with the pix and sound breaking up like this on several important stations. ...

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Do you have the 2-tuner EDGE for ANTENNA, or 4-tuner? Do you know if there is a difference in the tuners between these models (aside from quantity)?

12. HoTatII

HoTatII Active Member

Sep 21, 2016
    The 4 tuner OTA one. ...

And apparently the tuners are different in the Edge since they're not affected by this multipath problem. ...

Whereas the Roamios and Bolt here experience breakup. ...

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

krkaufman likes this.
  13. ems_pilot

ems_pilot New Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ordered the fan from Weaknees. Good install video. Have been doing tech for many years and tempted to buy a cheaper fan but thought better of it after reading reviews.

Will the Roamio OTA upgrade to the voice remote if I can locate one?

thanks forum... great resource

14. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    1) You need a bluetooth dongle.
    2) Voice only works with TE4.

krkaufman likes this.
  15. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    yes, but that function only works with TE4, which apparently runs a tad sluggish on Roamios according to reports posted here.

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  17. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    That's a good question that I can't answer.

Edit: Excerpts of posts in Tivo vox Bluetooth dongle from Nov. 2017:

"Per a Ted_TiVo post here, it's not, and it uses a special <whatever>--a generic Bluetooth dongle will not substitute."
    "I think Ted had responded that a generic Bluetooth dongle won't work."
    "And TiVo_Ted already has said that it won't."

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    krkaufman likes this.
  18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That thread led me to another, slightly cheaper source, for the VOX remote + dongle: Weaknees. $45 for the VOX+dongle. (Though they're charging more than the TiVo Store for the dongle, alone.)