Roamio OTA - V53 error

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by darrellb, May 2, 2020.

1. darrellb

darrellb New Member

May 2, 2020
    All,
    Relative TiVo newbie here -- the Roamio OTA has been my first and only TiVo device. We went with it at the urging of my father in-law when we decided to cut the cable cord...and it's been an experience.

Recently (2-3 months ago) - we started getting V53 errors on a couple of channels, went through all the steps as directed and walked through everything with TiVo support. Their final statement was it was our antenna's fault (even though we were getting signal fine when plugged directly into a TV). We replaced the antenna and all was good again for a while until this past week. We've started getting the same errors (V53) on the same channels as before. I know it's not our antenna (again) -- and what makes this situation particularly strange -- we did a channel re-scan (our local Fox station did something and had let folks know that a rescan may be necessary) and for 12-18 hours our 2 "trouble stations" came in clearly again. Since that time -- during which I got cocky and canceled our antenna guy, who was coming out to confirm it wasn't an antenna issue -- we've lost our 2 "trouble stations" again.

I'm not overly well-versed in the TV world, but am moderately proficient in technology (ex: I've built my own PCs for years) -- can someone who is more capable offer any advice/assistance? Everything I've seen online and have tried has not helped.

Since it may be relevant -- we are located in the Greensboro/Winston-Salem (NC) market -- although we can occasionally get stations from Raleigh and/or Charlotte and the 2 problem channels are our local NBC channel (12-1) and CW channel (20-1). The callsigns are WXII (NBC station) and WCWG (CW station). From the research that I did, it looks like these channels share a tower/frequency (not sure of the appropriate name).

As I mentioned, I'm not the most TV-tech saavy, but I can follow directions like a champ! If anyone can be of assistance, it'd be greatly appreciated.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You may be experiencing similar issues due to stations changing frequencies. Ours did that on Apr 29th, and about 1/2 of the channels were not working and needed to re-scan. Now over 1/2 of those were fixed.

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I've had good success, on multiple systems, connecting 2 antennas 'backwards' through a splitter.

'Optimize' each antenna for the channels and Towers you need and then connect them to the splitter.

I think what happens is there some multi-path that the TiVo's are too sensitive to that gets cancelled out when connected like this.

Since you've already obtained a 2nd antenna, it might be pretty easy to try.

-KP

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  4. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    The FCC is required TV stations to move to new all-digital frequencies; something called Repack. Stations require different antennas (on high towers) for the new frequencies. Different cities (markets) are phased to change at different times. Typically, stations use temporary new antennas, mounted low on the towers, until they could shut down the old transmitters (on repack day). Then they needed to install new antennas at the top of the towers. This antenna swap process was constrained by the limited number of crews qualified to move antennas on thousand-foot towers. Then COVID 19 delayed things more. There are several online sites, like RabbitEars that try to track the status of all this. In the end, TV will use less of the frequency band (making room for more cell service) but this has been painful and expensive for the broadcast TV industry.

5. darrellb

darrellb New Member

May 2, 2020
    I have re-scanned at least half a dozen times since this issue started -- and have done TiVo's default suggestion of repeating guided setup, all with no success.

I no longer have the original antenna, so I don't think this is a viable option -- even if I did have the required skillset =D.

6. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I actually did it with 2 $20 Leaf Antennas and it worked fine.

Where these systems were in Houston though was only about 10 miles from the Tower Farm.

Even if 1 of your antennas was mounted outside or in the attic, you could try a Leaf on the line inside connected as described.

-KP