Roamio OTA - Tuner Failing

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by filovirus, Jun 20, 2016.

1. filovirus

filovirus Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Colorado

Advertisements

Tonight my OTA tuner can no longer tune my local nbc and cw affiliate. I have rescanned channels twice and it still doesn't tune all of my local channels that it has been tuning successfully for the past six months.

I moved the antenna cable to the tv and all of my channels are coming in fine. I have a decent 75 mile arial antenna on my roof and only live 30-40 miles from the transmitters on a local mountain. My in laws 40 miles further away are able to get the channels I stopped recieving.

Guess I will give Tivo a call in the morning for a refurb under warranty.

2. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Seems like we have a lot of people with OTA reception issues of late. Did you buy yours recently, or did you purchase the extended warranty?

3. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    I'm starting to wonder if maybe a FW update messed up the OTA tuner's abilities?

4. filovirus

filovirus Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Colorado
    I purchased my during the last amazon lifetime sale, say around January 20th. It worked really well during the first few months then I just set it to record and hardly watched it live.

Called Tivo and their assertion is it is a low signal issue on a KOAA 5-1 channel. No replacement unit per Tivo. I checked my roof antenna, even tried new cable and got the same signal strength for NBC which is 34. I am getting 50-60 on other channels and all the transmitters are on Cheyenne Mountain in the relative same direction of 322 degrees.

When I am up on the roof, I noticed lots of new tree leaves in the path that were not there when I bought it in January. Wondering if this wasn't an issue of having a marginal signal on 5-1 then losing just enough when the trees grew leaves.

But, my Vizio TV, connected to the same wire, pulls 5-1 in just fine. I hear Vizio has a crap tuner, so that must mean Tivo is using super crap tuners. Tempted to buy a bolt just to test it, but I hear their tuners are weak too.

I have never had an issue pulling in my locals channels, even going back to 2007 when they were just coming in. Antenna in the same spot, picture it several models of DISH receiver, OTA tuner addon for MacMini, Tivo Premiere, and some months with Tivo Roamio OTA.

When I get a chance, I will grab my inlaws OTA and try it in the same spot. It is a secondary unit to my Plus/Pro.

5. filovirus

filovirus Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Colorado

Advertisements

Oh, and I did purchase the extended warranty but Tivo is refusing to give me a replacement saying that it would fail completely if it were to fail. Tempted to run to best buy and pick up a Bolt just to test their theory.

6. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Mine is still working great on the latest code.

7. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    I'm surprised they aren't blaming NORAD. ;)

8. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Tree leaves certainly can block and scatter OTA signals, and I suppose they can affect certain frequencies more than others. I have a similar issue with one TiVo, and I'm trying to find a better location for the antenna feeding that unit.

Various tuners differ in their ability to handle various types of signal problems, especially relating to multipath, and it's not as simple as good vs bad. Different tuners can just have different strengths and weaknesses.

9. filovirus

filovirus Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Colorado
    My issue with the leaves is all my other channels are coming in fine, that and my tv is able to tune the missing channel in. Maybe leaves are tuned to block a specific frequency.

10. COA3TDi

COA3TDi New Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Falcon, CO
    I live out here in Falcon and had channel 5.1 outage with pixelation issues earlier this week on the Roamio as well. I thought it was the heat and the OTA antenna being in the attic. Ran the channel tuner then checked again and 5.1, 5.2 and the new 5.3 Grit channel were on the list.

11. filovirus

filovirus Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Colorado
    Maybe the issue lies with the affiliate.

12. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    I believe that leaves are more likely to cause problems such as multipath interference with UHF stations than VHF stations and it's worse the higher you go up the spectrum. Are you seeing any reception problems at all with the missing channel when you tune it in via your TV tuner?

13. filovirus

filovirus Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Colorado
    Since I still considered my OTA defective, I went to Best Buy and picked up a Bolt. Brought it home, updated, and 5-1 came in bright and clear with a 67 signal level.

TiVo initially refused me a replacement when I requested one, but I have one on the way now. Very disappointed and let them know. I wonder how many people are out there with missing channels that TiVo says are signal issues when it's really a hardware issue.

This is the second OTA I have had exchanged and I think I will sell the new refurb on eBay and cut my losses.

And now to box the bolt back up....

14. filovirus

filovirus Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Colorado
    No, TV tuned in fine and I told the tech rep this. He didn't seem to care that it worked with the TV tuner.

15. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Try rerunning Guided Setup. I had to do that when all my channels suddenly were not tuning in, and only 1 or 2 were causing problems. Didn't have any before v20.6.1.

16. filovirus

filovirus Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Colorado
    I reran guided setup last night and this morning along with rescanning channels. The OTA went bad on me. Just one channel not coming in. So a partial tuner failure, something my first TiVo rep said was not possible, that the unit would fail completely.

17. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I've been following the OTA issue for a while even though I'll never receive anything OTA. What I never see is someone checking all tuners. When I received my first Roamio, two tuners were fine, two were dead. I learned a lot about dynamic tuner allocation. You obviously have a problem and I'm not trying to deny that. I'm just curious if all tuners behave the same. From your description there's no doubt your box is bad. But I wonder if others have tested all four tuners on the same channel.

18. filovirus

filovirus Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Colorado
    I did test it on two of the four tuners on my own. Tech Support did not run me through any testing other than to confirm one tuner has low signal, thus not a TiVo problem. So bye now and have a nice day with your TiVo!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  19. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I have a couple of stations that will not tune, but if you look at the signal strength they are OK on my Roamio OTA.

My S3 HDTiVo picked up those stations.

It was like there was something in the stream the Roamio OTA does not like.

On the other hand LAFF TV would lock up the S3 HDTiVo if we watched it much, the Roamio is fine.

BTW one of the oddball stations, 16.1 thru 16.7, in Denver doesn't work on the S3 anymore. IIRC 28.1 thru 28.6 still work on S3, but not Roamio (haven't checked this on S3 lately).