Roamio OTA to Tivo Mini MOCA Setup Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by danimal96, Apr 29, 2019.

1. danimal96

danimal96 New Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I have read a number of threads and can't find one that addresses my exact configuration. See attached diagrams for details:

Current Setup:
    • Rooftop OTA Digital Antenna
    • Dedicated Coax runs for OTA (Roof -> Basement -> Amplifier -> Splitter -> TVs in 2 rooms (FR, MBR)
    • DSL Modem and Wireless Router in FR w/ plenty of available ethernet ports

Future Setup:
    • Add Roamio OTA to FR, connect to OTA and Router via Ethernet
    • Add Tivo Mini in MBR, connect via MOCA (Tivo Bridge)

My Questions / Where I Need Help:
    • I am pretty sure I need a POE filter added to my OTA coax run, should it go before the splitter but after the amplifier?
    • I am unclear on how to connect the Tivo Bridge and if I need to split the OTA line to run it to both the Roamio OTA and the Tivo Bridge (see attached diagrams for details)

Current Setup (no Tivos)
    Tivo Moca Setup - Current.png

Potential Future Setup (need help)
    Tivo Moca Setup - Future.png

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    krkaufman likes this.
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you connect Roamio by Ethernet to router, you just need a MoCa Adapter (AKA Tivo Bridge) to the coax line (or separate coax) to another LAN port on the router. Minis have MoCa built-in.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, the “PoE” MoCA filter would optimally be installed directly on the input of that splitter (still putting it between the splitter and amp, wanting to keep the MoCA signals away from the amp).

You have it diagrammed correctly for the TiVo Bridge MoCA adapter. (well done)

If you had used a Motorola MM1000 or some other MoCA adapter with a RF pass-through port, you could have skipped that splitter and connected the Roamio OTA via the MoCA adapter’s pass-through port.

4. danimal96

danimal96 New Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Thanks, Lucidchart work experience pays off in this case! I actually have not purchased the Tivo Bridge yet, so if I purchase a different MoCA adapter it sounds like I can simplify the setup. Would something like this do the trick?

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200S02/dp/B013J7OBUU/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

If not, can someone suggest a specific "Splitter" that would work for my setup? I am a bit confused about the different options that are available.

If I understand your reply, I believe my revised setup would look like this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    fcfc2 likes this.
  6. danimal96

danimal96 New Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Thanks for the continued responses. I have updated my diagram with more details on my antenna preamplifier and existing splitter. A few other questions:

I have read some posts about OTA preamplifiers causing issues with MoCA networks. Is there a particular POE filter I should be looking for, and should I be concerned about any issues related to my existing preamp (RCA TVPRAMP1E)?

I believe my existing splitter (DIRECTV MSPLIT2R1-03) will be sufficient for MoCA (DC Power Pass, 2 - 2150 MHz range) but wanted to confirm that I won't have any issues.

Attached Files: