Roamio OTA - Stuck Screen Loop. Help!

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by FearlessV, Mar 24, 2018.

1. FearlessV

FearlessV New Member

Mar 24, 2018

Advertisements

Dear TIVO Masters,
    I had a successful set-up of the TIVO Roamio OTA, 500 GB model that Best Buy sold for $49 about two years ago. Setup went fine, Channel Scan went fine. However, scheduled test recording showed that recording WAS taking place. When I went to playback the recording, I got the Kettle Drum sound. Obviously, no recording.
    After several more unsuccessful tries, I attempted a manual recording. Same result, with the added frustration of placing the TIVO OTA into a "endless loop" of - Black Screen - Home Menu - Kettle Drum sound. Remote no longer works. Tried unplugging power for hard reboot (as indicated on web). Same loop (as described) returns after power up. Tried several times. No luck.
    Any way to reboot this thing . . . or is it that Best Buy's $49 promotion TIVO OTA version was a piece of junk out of the box!? This is a NEW unit, just got around to installing it with my antenna (which went fine). Any "secret" way to re-set unit via remote (or otherwise)?
    Help!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  2. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    You don't mention activation of the TiVo service, but assuming the box is activated, I am at a loss. It sounds like corrupted recordings, but on an otherwise new box I'd expect to see other symptoms if the drive was bad.

3. FearlessV

FearlessV New Member

Mar 24, 2018
    Thank you for your reply. The Roamio OTA allows you to connect to the web, update an OTA schedule, and record via DVR via OTA antenna. Not necessary to actually sign up for the service, thus the OTA DVR units for those (who more or less) are cord cutters. Install went OK, channel OTA search went fine. Ready to record. . . NADA. Showed it was recording via scheduled and manual tests. Attempts to play back eventually led to loop described. New unit, should not happen. Since I am new to TIVO, do you have the best toll free TIVO tech support Ph#? Perhaps there is a good TIVO Tech Support Chat. Couldn't find one.
    Thanks!

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Using "good" and "TiVo Tech Support" in the same sentence is not logical. So no service?

TiVo - Customer Help Forums

5. FearlessV

FearlessV New Member

Mar 24, 2018

Advertisements

About ready to chuck it in the garbage unless I can find a good help Ph#.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  7. FearlessV

FearlessV New Member

Mar 24, 2018
  8. FearlessV

FearlessV New Member

Mar 24, 2018
    Thanks for the link.

JoeKustra likes this.
  9. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If you bought a 500G Roamio OTA from Best Buy two years ago for $49, then it doesn't have lifetime service. You must open an account with Tivo and pay a monthly, yearly or all-in subscription fee. Navigate to the System Information screen and verify the account service on the Roamio.

10. FearlessV

FearlessV New Member

Mar 24, 2018
    Thanks for the info. Just found out the info you described. Looks like TIVO OTA is not the platform I was led to believe. Too bad. I was just looking for a DVR to record OTA broadcasts. Paying for FREE OTA signals isn't in the cards.

11. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You could buy the current Roamio OTA which has a 1TB drive and comes with the all-in subscription for $400.

Scott

Mikeguy likes this.
  12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And less than that when Amazon.com goes below suggested retail (which it used to do pretty frequently--although the price now seems to have become more stabilized).