1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio OTA signal loss

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Adam C., Dec 2, 2018.

1. Adam C.

Adam C. New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    I'm using a Roamio OTA connected to an outdoor antenna. What I would like to know is how much signal loss is introduced when the Roamio splits the incoming signal between the 4 tuners. The reason I ask is that I have 2 weaker stations in my area that only pull in about 35-40% signal strength on my Roamio, so the channels are unwatchable. But if I plug my antenna directly into the TV I get around 50-60% signal and I can watch the channels no problem. Is this a common problem with the Roamio or is my device going bad?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Still bad? Roamio OTA problem

What are the call letters of the two offenders? Maybe they have something in common. But to answer your question: nobody has a schematic so everybody just makes a guess. Funny how users with the Pro or Plus units never ask that question. My two-tuner Premiere has a 82% signal on the same channel my basic Roamio gets 90%. Both are 36dB SNR. The TV get 80% and 36dB SNR also.

3. Adam C.

Adam C. New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    One of the channels I'm trying to get is WNET (RF13). This channel is known to be broadcasting at reduced power and there are lots of complaints from people in the NYC area having trouble with this station. However, what I'm trying to determine is why my TV can pull this in with no problem but the Tivo can't. My guess is that there is some signal loss going on since the Tivo splits the signal to 4 different tuners. Either that or the Tivo processor is simply not built to decode weaker signals as well as my TV can.

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Well, since Pro & Plus units are cable only it makes sense that they rarely post about antenna reception. ;)

OTA reception is as much of an art form as a science, but the most common problem that I see these days is the lack of VHF elements on "digital" antennas that were designed for UHF only. Even the best 8-bay UHF antenna that you can buy won't pick up VHF channels worth a darn. All of the lower VHF channels in Houston switched to UHF with the digital conversion, but I still have two channels in the upper VHF band and the only solution was an antenna with a few long 3-4 foot elements on each side. That much IS science.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    WNET has quite an interesting history: WNET - Wikipedia

There are many threads that conclude that a TV has a better tuner than a TiVo. Nobody publishes specs anymore.

6. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Can you use an amp after the antenna before you run the cable to your Roamio?