ROAMIO OTA REPLACEMENT FANS* (Jan 2020)

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by SOGLAD, Jan 12, 2020.

1. SOGLAD

SOGLAD Thank You ALL !

Aug 17, 2019
    California
    ROAMIO REPLACEMENT FANS OTA and BASIC

4 NEW FANS, $10.00

*NOT compatible with Roamio Plus or Roamio Pro!

Unwilling to pay Weeknees $39.26 for it's spiffy Roamio Fan, the hunt began for a reasonable ROAMIO Replacement fan. Even $12.99 seemed too high for a EVERCOOL 10mm fan. Also, of all the sellers I checked at eBay, I found none that offered "original" OEM fans, so each seller offered a 'replacement' and not the original fan.

After careful considerations I selected these:

4 Fans $10.00 shipped from Tulsa Oklahoma

eBay: 112488104175

fans.JPG
    4 Pcs 12v 3010 30mmx10mm (following specs found at aliexpress.com)
    PENGDA TECHNOLOGY
    3010 35mm x 35mm x 10mm
    Rated voltage: DC 12 V
    Current rating: 0.1 A
    Power consumption: .12 W
    Revolution: 8800 ± 10% RPM
    Noise: 22 dBA

EVERCOOL FAN SPECS added for reference:
    EVERCOOL EC3510H12E
    Everlube Bearing
    Dimension: 35mm x 35mm x 10mm
    Speed: 9000 rpm
    Air Flow: 5.53 CFM
    Noise Level: 34.9 dBA
    Amps: 0.12
    Connector: 2 Pin mini (7mm) / 10" cable

$10 is not a tremendous investment, but the specs are impressive enough to try a sample install. My Roamio original fan is still operational, but is starting to 'groan' now and then. Knowing 'things' would not get better I hunted for a fan replacement today.

To test, I will allow a overnight 'rest', then a cold start. After 1 hour of operation, remove the cover to quickly take a measurement. Using a digital thermometer I plan to measure the CPU 'cooling fin' temperature directly at the center and record. After the fan replacement I will repeat this test the next day.

Of course I will closely monitor the fan ambient noise levels too, but have no gear to measure same.

It's been awhile since the FAN topic was brought up and almost all of the 'links' offered on old posts no longer work. Seems these fans are failing after just a few years of service, but they've got a important job to accomplish 24/7 and this fan is so vital to the ROAMIO internals!

Fan installation requires: Torx T-8, T-10 and T-15

Please remember: *NOT compatible with Roamio Plus or Roamio Pro!

SOGLAD

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Please post your MBT before and after. Also, I prefer the 7-blade fan over a 5-blade fan (original is 5 blade). Evercool shows their airflow. The MBT is located in System Information. No need to remove the cover, and it is very dependent on room temperature.

3. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    ADG, dlfl, unclehonkey and 1 other person like this.
  4. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    The specs miss the most important part of a fan spec. Bearing type. Without that the specs are worthless, and so are probably the fans.

5. SOGLAD

SOGLAD Thank You ALL !

Aug 17, 2019
    California
    OK! Can do... shipment due soon.

SOGLAD

6. SOGLAD

SOGLAD Thank You ALL !

Aug 17, 2019
    California
    I just messaged the seller and I'll will relay what he/she says about bearing type.

SOGLAD

7. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    I have used the riffle bearing type fan with good success. They were about $1.00 with shipping from china included. There are also ball bearing ones for about $3.00. It did take some time for them to arrive, but they have worked well and are quiet. My roamio ota is in a cool place so the fan does not run at a high speed or for long periods of time. For the price if they only last a few years, they have well paid for themselves. Current one is on year 3+ now.

8. SOGLAD

SOGLAD Thank You ALL !

Aug 17, 2019
    California
    SELLER replies: "these are sleeve bearing"

SOGLAD

9. SOGLAD

SOGLAD Thank You ALL !

Aug 17, 2019
    California
    Gee, a 'riffle bearing fan' is a new type to me? Google has some great photos of them... and $1 is reasonable enough, for sure. I think I would have opted for the ball bearing fans if they were a option I found (which I did not). Like you, my criteria is form, function, fit and price! I want my TiVos whisper quiet and cool.

SOGLAD

10. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    I just took the fan out of my original Roamio OTA (the first ones that came out and allowed only a monthly fee) and put it in my Lifetime Roamio OTA on steroids (has the cable card adapter in it too) :)

11. SOGLAD

SOGLAD Thank You ALL !

Aug 17, 2019
    California
    'BONUS'! You got a practice run liberating your fan from the original.

12. CodeButcher

CodeButcher Member

Sep 14, 2018
    I bought a replacement on eBay a while back. Just when I was about to swap out my original fan, it started working fine again. I did remove the old fan first and cleaned it. Then tested it with a 12V wall wort PS. It did not make a sound so I put it back. Now I have a spare fan.

KENL likes this.
  13. nt40lanman

nt40lanman Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Dust buildup on the fan blades can unbalance it and make it wear bearings or bushings faster. And cleaning that unbalance can quiet them down.

14. clueless88

clueless88 New Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Hey Soglad--

Did you pull the trigger on the fans? I replaced my Roamio OTA fan in October--it was quiet for a few days then it got louder. I replaced the fan once more last week and the reduction in noise lasted less than a week. Was wondering if the fans you posted initially really did have a 12 dba difference in sound--if the numbers are actually true then the 22dba fans could possible sound half as loud as the 39 dba fans. I think I could live with a 50% reduction in fan noise.

Let us know if you procured them and the result.

15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Nice! And the linked Amazon page confirms what I hoped (the Roamio base model uses the same fan as the OTA model). I have a base model purchased reconditioned in 2015 with lifetime. It continues to work perfectly and silently but I might buy that fan just in case. I reconfigured it to OTA last November so (now that I’m immune from TA issues) it should be good for many years of service, since fan, HDD and power supply are cheap and easily replaceable.

Mikeguy likes this.
  16. Richard Esposito

Richard Esposito New Member

Dec 12, 2019
    Had really noisy fan. Did not remove it.
    o removed label from fan.
    o drilled tiny hole in center of fan
    o used needle point oiler to lubricate fan ( don't overdo it)
    >>> Noise free - going on 6 months ;-)

alooffool and Mikeguy like this.
  17. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    +1

Just replaced a noisy fan in my Roamio (basic model). Obtained the fan from Weaknees and followed their video. I agree there is nothing wrong with paying a few dollars more and supporting a company that has such great service and quality.