Roamio OTA noisy and running hot to the touch.

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rhoops, Dec 22, 2016.

1. rhoops

rhoops New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I bought a refurbished Roamio OTA for my daughter and son-in-law. When he set it up, it was noisy and ran hot to the touch. I've had 3 Tivos, a series 2 (now retired), a Premiere, and a Premiere XL. None of them have run hot or been noisy.

I've noted that the Roamio has a fan between the hard drive and the circuit board, near the middle of the machine, and, of course, a plastic case.

They called TiVo and received an advance exchange for another refurbished TiVo OTA, but when they set it up, it too was noisy and hot. I think they are going to return both TiVos for a refund.

Is this an inherent design flaw? Do all Roamios run hot and noisy? It is loud enough to be heard 20 feet away. Is there any use in requesting a third refurbished Roamio?

2. mickinct

mickinct Member

Sep 14, 2015
    NUTMEG STATE
    NO i've got 5 OTA units and the only issue I had is that the hdd does not spin down on my latest refurb unit tivo is send another one out, they are very quiet.

3. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    Is there a cooling fan going/gone bad, making the noise and not turning properly and not cooling the tivo?

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    In System Info there is a reading: MBT. Normal value is about 40C. I have two and they are almost silent.

5. miadlor

miadlor Member

Sep 4, 2003
    Rhode Island
    I sent one back that had a noisy grinding sound when plugged in. Within a week it was showing up owned by someone else. I can see their recordings.

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And so it sounds like TiVo never "de-registered" you? Very odd, because the unit then has 2 simultaneous activations.

7. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Or maybe the unit has only one activation: miadlor's original one. If the new owner tried it and it just worked, he may have figured he didn't need to activate anything. So if miadlor can see his recordings, maybe he can see miadlor's recordings too. But I didn't think that sort of thing could work without the use of a VPN. Could it?

So, miadlor: Do you mean you can actually view the new owner's recordings?

8. miadlor

miadlor Member

Sep 4, 2003
    Rhode Island
    Sorry, no. I can't view the recordings but can see what's listed on TiVo Online and phone app. I can change the name of the device of the TiVo and add, delete recordings and one passes.