1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio OTA & No HDMI

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jdherbach, Nov 8, 2018 at 5:11 PM.

1. jdherbach

jdherbach New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Our setup since mid-2015 has been a lifetime service Tivo Roamio OTA (upgraded to 3GB drive) and a Mini in our bedroom. (And a Stream.)

About two weeks ago we noticed the Roamio wasn't outputting and HDMI signal. (It's still happily recording and working with our Mini.)

The TV and Receiver happily receive HDMI content from other devices. A different HDMI cable didn't seem to fix it. I've rebooted (unplugged power) several times. Once for a split second I saw a signal on the TV from the Tivo, but otherwise the TV is reporting no signal.

The warranty is long-gone and I'm trying to figure out our options. Any thoughts on further debugging or simple things to do with the Roamio to try to fix it?

If we need to acquire something new, I'm inclined to go the refurbished Roamio OTA + new 3GB drive (so we can transfer our recordings en masse from the old box) route -- it looks like there's a wider variety of 3.5inch drives in market, the Tivo box with lifetime service is less expensive, etc. Are there other features or issues I'm likely not considering?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Perhaps using a component cable for video and the composite or optical for audio? You will be limited to PCM stereo audio, and 1080i video, but shortly there will be a BF sale. A new unit would be nice. If you rollback the new unit to TE3, file transfer will be easy.

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    If he uses optical for audio he won't be limited to PCM stereo audio.

Scott

4. jdherbach

jdherbach New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think the OTA model I have only has a composite out (via a special 3.5mm yellow jack). Can composite be 1080i?

5. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    No. But it is possible to solder in a component jack which would provide 1080i.
    Will Roamio OTA do Component Video?

6. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think I would just buy another MINI. The apps will load faster and be more responsive. The MINI may not become redundant if ATSC 3.0 makes the Roamio redundant.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    :oops: Sorry, I tried to think of two answers at once. My OTA doesn't have component.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 9:46 AM