Roamio OTA, new antenna, no guide data

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mjh, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Jul 7, 2017 #1 of 11
    mjh

mjh Re: Member

Dec 19, 2002

Advertisements

Hi,

I installed a new antenna for my Roamio OTA and now I'm receiving several more stations than I used to receive. Those new stations are all listed in the channel listing with an asterisk (*) next to them indicating that they were scanned. I added all of these channels and forced a connection to the tivo service.

After 4 days, I still had not received any guide data. So I contacted tivo and they told me to re-run guided setup. Which I did, and the scan it did promptly removed all of those channels from my channels list. I did a manual scan which added them back in, but after 2 more days, I'm still not getting any guide data for these channels.

Has anyone ever had experience with this? What did you do to solve it?

Thanks.

2. Jul 7, 2017 #2 of 11
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I read some story about using different zip codes during Guided Setup.

You might experiment with that. Maybe zip codes closer to those 'unlisted' towers?

-KP

3. Jul 7, 2017 #3 of 11
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    To avoid running guided setup, you can check with tv.com or tvguide.com since they use the same database as TiVo.

4. Jul 7, 2017 #4 of 11
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    To elaborate and clarify, you can check different zip codes on those web sites to find one that works for you. That's a lot faster than doing repeated guided setups.

5. mjh

Dec 19, 2002

Advertisements

Ah. Ok. Thanks.

6. mjh

Dec 19, 2002
    That worked fantastically! Found a zip on tvguide.com that contained gave both of the service areas that I wanted and now i'm getting guide data for all! Thanks so much.

UCLABB and JoeKustra like this.
  7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Great! Now, if you want more accurate guide data, use titantv.com or Screener (zap2it.com). Current example: Monday's late night on NBC for my zipcode. TiVo doesn't have the NBC data, but Screener does. Many bad data gets updated at the last minute however.

8. gtal98

gtal98 New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    I am in a similar situation, and I can't find a zip code that has the channels from the 2 markets I am able to pick up. What can I do?

I think my situation is a little odd because there is a market in between the two I pick up, so there don't appear to be any overlapping zip codes that will work.

9. Aug 1, 2017 #9 of 11
    gtal98

gtal98 New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    OK, well I found a solution on my own so I'll share it with everyone.

Working off of JoeKustra's comment that TVguide.com uses the same database I found a link on their site where you can report channels missing from their lineup, so I emailed them at tvgwebsitesupport@cbsinteractive.com. I said that I had a very strong antenna and told them the channels I could pickup from the other market and asked if they could add them into the guide so that I could see all the channels I can receive at once. They emailed me back a couple of times asking for clarifications over the next week and a half. They didn't do exactly what I wanted, they created a new separate lineup on their website that listed the distant channels I was getting, but at least those channels were associated with my zip code now. So I re-ran guided setup and it worked!!! I guess TV Guide either controls, or can work with whoever controls the database Tivo uses and getting them to associate channels with a zip on their website translated through to my Tivo too. I hope this info can help someone else out there. I'm very happy now!!!!

JoeKustra, osu1991 and kpeters59 like this.
  10. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    This is further evidence that if you have guide issues, getting tvguide involved really helps.

11. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Just don't mention 'TiVo' in your request. Make sure it is related to the site and it's listings.