1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio OTA - MOCA - MINI

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by MOVIT, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Dec 1, 2018 #1 of 12
    MOVIT

MOVIT New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    Currently I only have OTA/Antenna TV. Antenna coax in to a splitter, with one coax line running to the back of the house, while the other line attaches to the Roamio OTA. The Roamio OTA is close to my internet router and is connected to the router by an Ethernet cable.

I want to add a mini at the back of the house using a Moca network.

It would be difficult (not impossible) to run an Ethernet cable to the location but it currently has a coax connection.

I think what I need to do is: (I have attached a sketch of current and proposed connections in a PDF.)

I am considering using 2 Actiontec ECB6200's (other recommendations?) Moca devices to establish the Moca network.

I think what I need to do is remove the current Ethernet and coax connections from the Roamio OTA.

I would add a splitter on the coax that was running to the Roamio and off of one leg I would add an Actiontec and from the Actiontec I would have a coax connect to the Roamio and an Ethernet connection to the Roamio.

From the second leg I would attach it to the second Actiontec and then attach the Actiontec via Ethernet to the router.

Then the mini will have the required access to the Roamio?

Am I on the right track?
    Any better ways?

Attached Files:

2. Dec 1, 2018 #2 of 12
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Tips:
    • You can have a mix of Ethernet- and MoCA-connected devices;
    • So, the Roamio OTA could remain connected via Cat6 to a LAN port on the router;
    • And you’d only need a single MoCA adapter at the modem/router location, to which the Mini could connect;
    • Both the MoCA adapter and Roamio OTA would connect separately to LAN ports on the router;
    • If you use a MoCA adapter with a RF pass-through port, the Roamio OTA can connect via coax to this port rather than using a splitter (or diplexer) to connect the two devices separately to the coax; however, if you go with a MoCA adapter lacking a RF pass-through port, a splitter or diplexer would be needed to connect the DVR and MoCA adapter to the coax line.
    • You’d need to install a “PoE” MoCA filter on the input of the top-level 2-way splitter (the splitter connected to the antenna coax line);
    • A Roamio OTA is limited by its Fast Ethernet port (max 100 Mbps); a MoCA-connected Mini is limited by MoCA 1.1 (max 170 Mbps). So if you won’t be using MoCA for anything other than the Mini connection, a bonded MoCA 2.0 ECB6200 adapter is overkill. (A WCB3000N, just $13 via Amazon, is the current budget favorite for MoCA 1.1 connectivity, for those willing to do a bit of manual configuration.)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  3. Dec 1, 2018 #3 of 12
    MOVIT

MOVIT New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    Thanks Krkaufman for your answer.
    To make sure I understand. If I order the WCB3000N (12.90, like the price) I would install a splitter and one leg would run to the Roamio and the Roamio would be ethernet connected to the router.
    The other leg would run to the WCB3000N and the WCB3000N would be ethernet connected to the router.
    I do a Moca POE filter I forgot to include it.
    The above configuration would allow the mini to access the Roamio?
    OR
    I could use an RF pass-through like the ECB2500C or ECB6200.
    Coax in to the RF Pass-through the RF pass-through coax out to the Roamio. The Roamio ethernet to the router and the RF pass-through would also ethernet to the router.
    Then this configuration would allow the mini to access the Roamio?

Thanks for your response!

4. Dec 1, 2018 #4 of 12
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Either of those configurations should enable Mini connectivity. And you could also use an antenna/satellite diplexer, in place of a splitter, to connect the MoCA adapter and DVR to the coax line, to save a couple dBs. (The diplexer would have about the same attenuation as a MoCA adapter with an RF pass-through.) For example:

MoCA adapter pass-through.png

Oh, also, one side benefit of the WCB3000N in your setup would be that the Roamio could be connected to the WCB3000N’s 2nd Ethernet port, which should allow the Mini to communicate with the Roamio OTA even through a router reboot. In this case, only the WCB3000N would be directly connected to a router LAN port.

5. Dec 1, 2018 #5 of 12
    MOVIT

MOVIT New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    I like the fact that you can use the WCB3000N to connect the Roamio to the network and keep the Mini to Roamio connection active if the network router crashes. Krkaufam, I appreciate you taking your time to help me define and clarify the Moca network and prevent me spending over ten times the $13 to set up my Moca network and connect the mini.
    Placed my order for 2 (1 backup) WCB300n's.
    Thanks

krkaufman likes this.
  6. Dec 1, 2018 #6 of 12
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, if you have any Wi-Fi dead zones the extra WCB3000N may be able to help.

p.s. But if looking to disable the wireless function of the WCN3000N, see this post for special instructions (pulled from an Amazon review):

7. MOVIT

MOVIT New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    OK I finally received received my ActionTec WCN3000.
    Installed my MOCA and I lose my OTA signal. My setup is Antenna to splitter. One side splitter to the Tivo Roamio and the other leg goes to the back of the house where the mini will be if I get this to work I installed the MOCA filter on the input side of the splitter. I do have a Channel Master AMPLIFY, model CM7777HD installed, This is all before I install the mini or the WCN3000.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Does "Installed my MOCA" just mean you installed the "PoE" MoCA filter on the input of the top level 2-way splitter?

Where is your "AMPLIFY" and its power source installed? It's not reflected in your diagrams.

MOVIT proposed.png

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018 at 10:31 PM
  9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  10. MOVIT

MOVIT New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    I updated the drawing to show the amp location and power source. But the amp in installed 2 foot below the antenna on the pole and the power source is on the Roamio leg. As FYI the top/first splitter is physically out side the house the leg to the Roamio is through the family room wall and the other leg is through the wall into the crawl space to back of the house. (One article I read showed that the power source needs to be on the input side of the first splitter or outside and with the power source I have it is not weather proofed.) Also if I need a different amp what would be the best for my situation? Thanks for your reply.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018 at 8:55 AM
  11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Did you review the CM link I posted? Its suggested solution is a power-passing splitter — though you would need 2 based on where the power inserter is located.

edit: Scratch the diplexer talk. KISS. Just get 2 power-passing splitters.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018 at 9:59 AM
  12. MOVIT

MOVIT New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    I did see the link but I missed the intent.
    From your update and the drawings I need to eliminate the splitter and diplexer and install 2 POWER PASSING RF SPLITTERS, like (Channel Master CM-3212HD). And I assume at that time I can reinstall my MOCA POA and all will finally work?
    I went out and checked, the outside or top/first splitter is a (SWM 2-2150MHZ,MSPLIT2R1-03 DC power pass installed by DirectTV). There is another splitter in the basement that was installed by DirectTV (2-2150 MHZ, Power Split MSPLIT4R1-03). SO I am more confused.
    As a test I installed the MOCA POA on the input to the AMP power supply and I do not get a signal, but if I install on the output (between Power and Roamio) of the power supply I seem to get a good TV signal. Is it that the channel master is not compatible with the MOCA POA? If thats the case what the best solution?

I am probably making this harder then it should be. Sorry!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018 at 1:37 PM