1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio OTA/Mini set up help please

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by soulcougher73, Jan 11, 2018.

1. soulcougher73

soulcougher73 New Member

Jan 9, 2018
    I am looking for help on the best possible way to set up my components. I have the Roamio OTA and Tivo Mini. I am planning on putting an antenna on my house and having the line run down to where cable TV/Internet would come into box on the side of the house.

I would like the Roamio OTA in my living room and the Tivo Mini in my man cave. Currently my combo router/modem all in one unit is in my living room on cable internet from the wall outlet (it doesnt have to be here, that is just where it is at the moment, i could put it in a spare bedroom if that helps). Each room has a cable wall outlet that run to the box outside.

I do own 1 of the Tivo Bridges and 1 of the POE Filters, and i probably have a splitter in the garage somewhere i can rustle up.

What would be the optimal way to make this wall work nice and neat with the MOCA network bridge thing to the Mini? Can i run internet and OTA signal on same cable run?

Thanks in advance :)
    New here :)

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Just to confirm, you don't have any wired Ethernet connectivity beyond the devices in the same room as your router, correct?

First thing to understand is that both the Mini and DVR need wired network connections, Ethernet or MoCA, and that the Roamio OTA lacks any built-in MoCA functionality. Therefore, if the Roamio OTA cannot be connected via Ethernet, it, too, would need to be connected as a MoCA client and would require a co-located MoCA adapter to provide this connectivity. That is, you'd need two MoCA adapters: one at the modem/router location to establish the MoCA network and one to connect the Roamio, with the Mini using its built-in MoCA client capability.

That said, if your combo modem/router has MoCA functionality, it may be able to assume the role of the main bridging MoCA adapter. What brand & model # is your cable gateway (combo modem/router)? Is it owned or are you leasing it from your provider? And who's your provider? (Some providers don't allow enabling MoCA functionality in their gateway, even if the device supports it.)

No, if by "internet" you mean the raw cable TV/Broadband signal. As you can see reviewing the associated frequencies used for each technology:

OTA: 54-806 MHz
    cable (TV/Internet): 5-1002 MHz
    MoCA (D band): 1125-1675 MHz​

... OTA and CATV/BB use the same range and so conflict, while MoCA can coexist with either.

'gist: With a single coax run to each room, the Roamio OTA could not be in the same room as the cable gateway, since the Roamio would require the OTA signal and the gateway the cable signal.

So, is a second coax run to the Living Room possible? If so, it could be used as a dedicated run for the antenna or the modem, leaving the rest of the house's coax plant for the competing signal and MoCA. And you'd only need a single MoCA adapter, since the gateway and Roamio could both be located in the Living Room, and the Roamio networked via Ethernet.

If a second coax run to the Living Room is NOT possible, then you'll need two MoCA adapters (depending on your gateway's capabilities), and could employ an antenna/satellite diplexer on the run to the Roamio's room/location to replace the cable signal with your OTA antenna signal on just this one coax run. See this post for background on this use of a diplexer, and the attached diagram for an example configuration that may be close to what you'd be looking to do.

cable-antenna MoCA mix.jpg

NOTE[1]: If using the TiVo Bridge as a MoCA adapter, a splitter would be required at the modem/router location to connect the adapter and modem separately to the coax (since the TiVo Bridge lacks a RF pass-through port); similarly, a splitter would be required at the Roamio OTA location, though an antenna/satellite diplexer could be used, instead, in this case, to conserve antenna signal strength.

e.g.
    MoCA adapter pass-through.jpg

NOTE[2]: If multiple devices at the Roamio OTA location could benefit from a wired Ethernet connection, a network switch could be used, connecting the MoCA adapter, Roamio and any such devices to the network switch.

e.g.
    MoCA_adapter_at_Roamio.png

p.s. FYI... see here for preferred parts.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  3. soulcougher73

soulcougher73 New Member

Jan 9, 2018
    I do not. Everything in the house is connected via wifi at the moment.

I have a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 which i guess now is called Arris and not Motorola? I own it. Ive had it about 4 years now. My cable internet provider is Suddenlink (only real option i have in this smaller town lol)

Technically i'm sure it is, but id rather not id imagine.

Answering a few of the questions you asked for more information. Thanks for the help so far.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Per the Arris support page, the SBG6580 doesn't have MoCA capabilities, so you *would* need 2 MoCA adapters total.

And given your replies re: Ethernet and a 2nd coax run to the Living Room, you'll want to follow the "not possible" branch of my previous post.

5. soulcougher73

soulcougher73 New Member

Jan 9, 2018
    So it looks like it total I would need one three way splitter and 3 two way splitters and/or diplexers? Can these be used interchangeably? Or does the splitter at the POE filter have to be a splitter and not a diplexer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Splitters and diplexers are not interchangeable, except where explicitly stated, above -- and only when connected as detailed.

As for exactly what components you'd need, you'd need to detail how many rooms you're looking to connect. Going strictly off the OP, you've stated you're looking to connect:
    • Room1: modem, router, MoCA adapter
    • Room2: Roamio OTA, MoCA adapter, network switch (optional)
    • Room3: Mini
    In this case, with just 3 runs total, you could simplify the setup and use an unbalanced 3-way splitter as your main splitter (connecting the modem run to the low-loss port). With this simple setup, you'd need:
    • (1x) MoCA filter
    • (1x) 3-way unbalanced splitter
    • (1x) 2-way splitter
    • (2x) ant/sat diplexer
    + (1x) 2-way splitter​

... ordering an extra 2-way splitter to allow flexibility in how you ultimately connect the Roamio OTA and its MoCA adapter.

See here for preferred parts.

Later, if you want to add MoCA connectivity to additional rooms, you could connect an appropriately sized splitter to an output of the main 3-way and then hang all the Minis and/or MoCA-only* runs off this secondary splitter.

* These runs would also carry the cable signal, so they're not actually MoCA-only, but only the MoCA signal would be needed by any endpoints in this hypothetical setup.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  8. soulcougher73

soulcougher73 New Member

Jan 9, 2018
    OK I think I have the mental picture in my head what needs to be done. Few side questions perhaps.

Is it possible to hook up my router/modem combo and Roamio OTA and adapter all in the same location in room 1? Thus only needing 1 tivo bridge?

If my antenna a has a power inserter/amplifier where in all the above would one insert that inside the house?

Thanks again. So knowledgeable :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I recommend a physical picture, to allow verification of the mental pic.

See earlier post addressing exactly this question.

Good question; not sure, so will have to ponder it. (Upstream of the diplexer on the line to the antenna would be ideal, but that location may not be inside.)

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Do you have a brand & model/part # for your power inserter? And same for your antenna?

11. soulcougher73

soulcougher73 New Member

Jan 9, 2018
  12. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Those small round and square antennas with massive amps are gimmicks. The physics of electromagnetic waves at TV frequencies dictate certain physical sizes and shapes due to the wavelengths and surface area required to receive weak signals. Get a normally sized and shaped antenna appropriate for UHF and VHF and stick it in your attic. If you get the tiny one and it works, I'd wager a coat hanger with an amp would also work.

13. soulcougher73

soulcougher73 New Member

Jan 9, 2018
    More like this?
    https://smile.amazon.com/RCA-Compac...F8&qid=1516037534&sr=1-29&keywords=tv+antenna

14. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
  15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd think the starting point would be one of the following sites, or similar: