Roamio OTA lost Rosanne during recording

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by miketx, Mar 28, 2018.

1. miketx

miketx Active Member

Sep 22, 2005

Advertisements

I setup a OnePass on my Roamio OTA, and it started recording the new Rosanne show last night. About 30 mins into the show, I decided to watch the recording. Selected it to play, and screen went black and stayed there...wouldn't start playing. So I gave up and went to the Netflix app to watch something until the show was done recording. I go back.....and the recording is gone. No trace of it ever being there. WTH?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Does the History/Recording Activity folder have an entry?

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Sounds like 'no signal' to me.

Have you ever had trouble with reception on ABC before?

-KP

Mikeguy likes this.
  4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    This has tripped me up before when the box lists multiple stations for a show--it often (dumbly/rotely) chooses the "no signal" station to make the recording from.

kpeters59 likes this.
  5. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...

Advertisements

The problem described is exactly what happens when there is no signal on the selected channel. If the OP knows for a fact that the channel was really available and could display the desired program, then the issue is almost certainly caused by having another BOGUS channel selected in the channel list that the Guide says was also showing the scheduled program. If a station is checked in the channel list, then TiVo will actively use it to schedule recordings even if there is actually no signal available.

kpeters59 likes this.
  6. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I wish that TiVo had a signal-check functionality: if there are multiple stations for a show and if the channel the box chooses to record from (I'm not sure how the box chooses which station to employ) has a signal issue, the box then will revert to the other channel(s).

7. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    YOU decide to tell TiVo EXACTLY which stations to employ for recording by deciding which stations to check in the channel list. If you have stations in your guide that cannot be tuned in, un-check them and they will go away.

Also be aware that how you have the Guide set to display channels (All channels, My channels, or Favorite channels) has absolutely nothing to do with controlling what channels can be used for recording.

PSU_Sudzi and kpeters59 like this.
  8. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep--the quagmire has been when I hadn't realized that the TiVo channel scan had picked up bogey duplicates, without signal, of good stations. Over time, I've unchecked the bogeys. Well, at least the ones that I've seen cause an issue and that have been apparent to me--I can't guarantee that I've gotten them all (I couldn't figure out an easy way to absolutely identify all the possible bogeys in my long channel list).

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Channel list 420
    Pay for 200
    My Channels 51
    Favorites 20

Want some of my OCD? :)

Mikeguy likes this.
  10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Please, no (I have enough issues)!

11. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Obsessive Channel Disorder?

JoeKustra likes this.
  12. miketx

miketx Active Member

Sep 22, 2005
    OP here.......bingo....bogus channel problem.

The history shows Roamio recording Rosanne off of 7-1 (ABC affiliate....with no signal), and listing the real ABC (8-1) as a duplicate.

I knew I needed to cleanup the channel list.....lesson learned. But why the heck does Roamio pickup 7-1 on an antenna scan to begin with, if it has no signal?

Edit: Initial cleanup complete. I stepped through all 92 "channels" that Roamio picked up. I unchecked all the no signal channels, and a ton of other garbage program channels. I probably unchecked at least 75 channels.....wow.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Mikeguy likes this.
  13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You get a set of channels based on your zipcode (really DMA). You can add to that list with a channel scan.

Mikeguy likes this.
  14. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Well, you need to understand that the TiVo channel scan does NOT work like a simple OTA TV channel scan. I honestly do not understand what it really does, but it seems to have a little evil leprechaun in there who is high on meth and delights in just screwing things up. I have posted details of his process before, and they are long, so I'll just try to hit the high points here:

First, the TiVo must download a specific lineup of channels for your area. Prior to Bad_Rovi, TiVo lineups ere pretty clean and specific to a local zip code, so most of us never had problems with bogus channels. But when Bad_Rovi took over, they seem to have decided that this was all just too much work, and they are too STUPID to understand the large numbers of new customers that they are driving away out of frustration with their garbage. Here is how Bad_Rovi handles lineups now (as near as I can tell):
    Instead of tailoring a lineup to a specific zip code or viewing location, they now create just one single lineup for an ENTIRE DMA. Out in the rural west, this often covers the whole state, such as Utah or New Mexico. For example, my local zip code has a maximum of 15 channels available, but the asinine Bad_Rovi lineup includes over 200 channels, some of which are in Colorado, Texas, and Arizona about 400 miles away from our area.
    Now here is where that little crack-head leprechaun comes in. All of those bogus channels would not be a problem at all if the TiVo channel scan actually had any logic at all in how it worked - it should simply check for available signals, match them up with the real local channels included in the bloated lineup, and then make sure only those channels are checked in the channel list.

But NOOOOOooooo, it just is not that simple with TiVo. When I do a Guided Setup here, the stupid box eventually selects about 35 different random channels from that huge asinine Bad_Rovi lineup, and ONLY 3 of the ones it selects are actually REAL local channels - all the others are just problems! I have to manually edit the channel list and uncheck all that crap while I make sure that only the 15 REAL channels are checked before I can use a TiVo for anything.

Razzer, MikeBear and kpeters59 like this.
  15. miketx

miketx Active Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Thanks Joe and V7......too funny (or sad, can't decide). It would be so easy to write a few lines of code that would fix this.....but that's just it.....it's easy ;)

Thanks everyone for the help. I've actually had my Roamio OTA for a few years....but it was always a backup unit in a spare room. Now that it's my main unit (cutting the cord....my Roamio Plus will now be a brick), I'm learning more about it. Now what to do with the Plus....maybe sell it.

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Glad to help. I keep a Premiere and an OTA Roamio mainly for testing and storage. They only get power on weekends.

17. miketx

miketx Active Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Just remembered why I have to keep my Roamio Plus: it runs the MoCA network my Minis depend upon. Several of my Minis have no nearby ethernet connection, except for cable.

JoeKustra likes this.
  18. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Well...in my opinion only, you saved half hour of your life. They took the show in a different direction....

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It can also provide mobile streaming access to the shows on the Roamio OTA, as well as additional storage.

I assume you have Lifetime/All-In service on the Plus, since a few monthly payments would quickly pay for a MoCA adapter. If you have no intent to ever use mobile streaming, and won't be going back to cable, selling a Lifetime Plus should net ample spare change after buying a replacement MoCA adapter.

20. miketx

miketx Active Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Yeah, I have lifetime on all my Tivos (Roamio OTA and Plus, 4 Minis, and an ancient Humax DVD SD Tivo).

I haven't had much luck with mobile streaming....seems like everything I want to stream, I want to stream outside my house while I'm traveling. Then all the copyright crap kicks in. But maybe I need to revisit it.
    Extra storage? How? I haven't seen any way to move stuff from the OTA <-> Plus, unless I'm using something 3rd party.