Roamio OTA Hard Drive Upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by gdoug, Feb 26, 2017.

1. gdoug

gdoug New Member

Feb 22, 2017
    I have seen some older threads about this, but I am looking for some current info. Our Roamio OTA (lifetime subscription version) has quickly filled up. I was reading that it comes with a 1TB from the factory and up to a 3TB could be installed. Is it really as easy as I have read to swap the hard drive out? What hard drive would be recommended to put in IE: Western Digital Green, Blue, other low power hard drive, etc? TIA

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It comes with a 500GB drive out of the box. You can upgrade but it voids the warranty (if they find out) up to 8 TB. It can take up to 3TB just swapping out the drive without any extra work, but to get to 8TB, you would need to use MSFR, a program designed by one of the forum members here.

Recommended drive is the WD Red (not the Red Pro), such as WD30EFRX (3TB).

chompythebeast and Mikeguy like this.
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What ThAbtO said, with the caveat that the drop-in install nor the MFSR prep method would result in your existing content being migrated to the new drive. You would either need to offload the content to a PC for later restoration, or use MFS Tools 3.2 to migrate your existing drive to a new 4TB or smaller drive. (I believe 4TB is the max size supported by MFS Tools 3.2 for a drive migration.)
    • More on mfsr (MFS Reformatter) >here<.
    • More on MFS Tools 3.2 >here<.
    • Simply for offloading and restoring your programs, you'd probably want to look into TiVo Desktop or pyTivo.
    If you're intrigued by the idea of 8TB, but are wary of the cost... >this post< may be of interest to you.

makysti, delgadobb and Mikeguy like this.
  4. gdoug

gdoug New Member

Feb 22, 2017
    We could get to the point where the existing content would not need to be transferred. We would just basically just over with a new drive. While it would be tempting to see how much storage I could get with the Roamio, I am not much into hacking and modding. Just the 3TB hard drive swap would probably be good enough for us.

5. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Roamio basic and OTA hard drive is a 500GB or about 75 HD hrs, a 3TB would yield about 6x that or 450 HD hrs.

I have a 4TB drive in mine which yields about 640 HD hrs.

6. gdoug

gdoug New Member

Feb 22, 2017
    We bought the lifetime/no monthly service fee version which is advertised as having a 1TB hard drive: Amazon.com: TiVo Roamio OTA 1 TB DVR - With No Monthly Service Fees - Digital Video Recorder and Streaming Media Player - Compatible only with HDTV Antennas (does not work with cable): Electronics

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Ok, that one has 150 HD hrs.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    MFS Reformatter is not something that I'd categorize as hacking or modding, really. The only "difficult" part for some people is having a Windows system on which to execute mfsr, or having a USB adapter that enables access to the 8TB drive. Beyond that it's run exe, select drive, click button, wait a bundle of seconds... done.

In case a 4TB drive upgrade were to interest you.

9. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    It was ridiculously easy to replace the hard drive in my Roamio Basic with a 3TB since I did Not care about keeping the content. There aren't any shows these days that it would bother me to miss. Most of the good ones are likely to show up on Netflix, without commercials, anyways.

10. sharpfork

sharpfork New Member

Nov 22, 2016
    I did the MLS boot cd on one of my hackintosh computers and easily copied my wife's hard drive full of Bravo shows to a new 3tb. The whole process was pretty easy. The physical drive swap was super easy. I got a 3tb WD red drive. I also added a cable card slot very easily with a Craigslist doner.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

11. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Upgrade to larger HDD and retain existing recordings:
    MFS Tools 3.2

12. JTHOJNICKI

JTHOJNICKI Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Chicago Suburbs
    I bought the Roamio OTA 1TB model and once I initialized it, I immediately swapped in a 6TB WD RED NAS drive. Once initialized on the OTA, I simply attached it to my Windows 10 computer and ran MSFR to reformat it properly to get access to all the space. The only issue was that MSFR (or my computer) wouldn't work with the 6TB drive in MY USB drive dock. I simply disconnected one of my internal drives & temporarily plugged in the 6TB drive. MSFR reformatted it quickly. The Roamio OTA works great with all that storage, but we still manage to fill it up. We just purge old stuff occasionally.

13. JTHOJNICKI

JTHOJNICKI Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Chicago Suburbs
    One suggestion - for possible warranty/repair service purposes - label the original TiVo HDD and keep it in a safe place in case you ever need to swap it back.

PCurry57 likes this.
  14. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Unless you default recordings to keep until you delete why bother purging? Just allow TiVo to expire the oldest content as needed for new recordings. Granted you won't get suggestions recorded this way, but I've got that turned off already anyhow.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (SM-T817P)

aaronwt likes this.
  15. AntiPC

AntiPC Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Chicago,...
    I just upgraded my 500 mB OTA to 3 TB with the WD red. I'm very happy with the results, and we went from flirting with 100% full to rarely seeing 20%.

Amazon.com: WD Red 3TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD30EFRX: Computers & Accessories

It is really easy. It resets the box, so you have to rerun guided setup afterwards. You will lose your season passes too, so it'd be a good idea to take a picture of the SP manager screen(s) beforehand so you can put them all back in.

16. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    KMTTG will backup/restore season/one passes, plus all the options set within.
    instead of just taking a picture.

krkaufman and Teeps like this.
  17. 19972000muskrat

19972000muskrat Active Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Is there stickers or anything you have to break to open the case and install the new drive that would show you installed a new drive and void the warranty?

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No, but they can detect it if you call for support. Please keep the old drive for a while.

Amazon.com: WD Red 3TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD30EFRX: Computers & Accessories

Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive Review [WD30EFRX] | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    ok, I'm confused, you first said your drive was full... so if you don't want the existing recordings, why not just delete them instead of replacing the drive?

But if at least the first page of the thread is still current, 4 TB is the limit for a single drive.. (You need Windows, and mfsr to go above that, unfortunately.)

20. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    4TB is still the limit for MFSTools 3.2 on Roamios and Bolts. It uses the standard 2 app partitions / 2 media partitions scheme, and no partition can exceed 2TB.