Roamio OTA hard drive questions...

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by just4tivo, Nov 23, 2020.

1. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015

Advertisements

Roamio OTA hard drive questions...

1. is a WD30EFRX a good choice for a Roamio OTA running TE3?

2. Will a Roamio OTA running TE3 erase and initialize a used hard drive from a Mac or PC OR do I have to erase and partition the used drive?

3. If I have to erase and partition a used hard drive from a Mac or PC what format will a Roamio OTA initialize?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It is one of the recommended drives. The drive has to be blank, no formats or partitions.

3. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    So, for the technically challenged, a used drive that has been partitioned in a Mac or PC needs to be erased and partitions deleted. Can that be done on a Mac thorough the Disk Utility?

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have replaced drives in all my TiVo boxes. On each I used windows 10 to format the drives as NTFS. One 1TB and three 3TB. I did not create any partitions and did not use quick format. It takes about 16 hours for 3TB. I have a USB 3 external enclosure.

5. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015

Advertisements

No Windows... Macs.

6. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I always use WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics to erase (and test) drives. It's available for Windows, Mac & DOS. Your TE3 Roamio will format almost any drive up to 3TB automatically even with existing partitions or file systems, but it's always a good idea to test it thoroughly first.

7. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Appreciate the reply... thanks.