Roamio OTA green power LED replacement?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Mike Lang, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    My Roamio had the right half of the green power light circle go out a while back and now the left half is mostly out but it sometimes flickers. Is there a replacement part for these?

2. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    If there are parts weaknees will be the most likely source.

If the tivo works... why the concern for the indicator lights?

Teavo likes this.
  3. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    The flickering is annoying and I'm just OCD enough to fix stuff like that even though it doesn't interfere with the functionality.

KENL and Teeps like this.
  4. Teavo

Teavo Active Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Black electrical tape or paint to cover should solve things nicely.

5. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Did you buy a refurb Roamio Basic w/Lifetime for $199 from TiVo around September 2015?

I bought one and the right half of the green power light circle flickered for a while, went out, came back and then went out for good. Within a few months, Woot had refurbed Roamio OTAs wo service for $25 so I bought some for spare parts. Over the years, I also bought three Roamio OTAs w/Lifetime from TiVo so along with five WD Red 3TB HDDs, I feel set until ATSC 3.0.

My recommendation is to buy a used Roamio Basic wo service from eBay. Just specify the LED displays must all light up, and there must be a cable card bracket (worth $$$). I bought one from eBay for the cable card bracket for ~$50 delivered last year. Folks wanted $35 just for the bracket and I got even more 'spare parts' for another $15. :cool:

Good Luck.

Mike Lang likes this.
  6. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Copy that; flickering lights would bother me too.
    And, yes I like a project, just for the sake of doing it.

Mike Lang likes this.
  7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    While I don't have black tape over the LED as I do for my UPS, I have a piece of scrap wood, cut to fit and painted flat black that covers the entire front. I don't like the amber LED either and it can't be disabled. The only LED I'm seeing right now is on my Roku and Mini VOX, and that is temporary. They are small enough to use card stock painted black.

Also, covering the entire front blocks IR.

8. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    As for me, I do put my Roamios into standby (or it goes into standby after 4 hours of no commands), and like the light as confirmation. Also, I've had the experience of seeing Roamios with the light ON when it should have been OFF most likely due to a self-reboot. It was nice to see the light and manually put it back into standby as sometimes the Roamio will NOT auto standby after 4 hours (usuall after a self-reboot)--the Dish Hopper 3 will at time NOT go into auto standby at least a few times a month. For me the light does have its importance and USE, just as I still use the S3 648's OLED display to see or verify what is recording (every DVR should have such a feature--but I know it is cheaper NOT to build such a feature). If I just left my TiVo on all the time, I guess I would not care, but it makes a difference to me the way I use the Roamios.

Hmm, I'll be keeping an eye on my Green light because I did get a refurb from TiVo in 2015.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020