1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio OTA fan noisy, then quiet, why

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by antonine, Mar 27, 2018.

1. antonine

antonine New Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I bought a Roamio OTA in September 2017, and it ran quiet until February 2018, when it started to make a loud buzzing sound after I'd unplugged it for a hard reset. From everything I read online it appeared to be the fan. In trying to figure out how to open it to either lube the fan or replace it, I unplugged the Roamio and then plugged it back it about about 2-3 times, with the higher pitched and noisier howling on start up seeming to confirm it was the fan.

Until last time it would settle back into its regular noise after startup. However, last Saturday once it went through startup, it became quiet again. I can still hear the fan running when I put my ear close to the Roamio, and its temp is staying around 33 C, so I'm guessing the fan is running right and doing its job. So, what has happened for it to first be noisy then go quiet again?

Needless to say, I'm not touching a thing, it's wonderful to have a quiet living room again.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you have a Torx 8mm screwdriver, you can just take out the center screw from the rear and flip up the cover. Dust off the insides with compressed air, the fan also. Its in the middle between the MB and the hard drive.
    To replace the cover, the front is like a hinge and can be a bit tricky.

3. antonine

antonine New Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Thanks!

4. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    As your room gets warmer and the fan lubrication does the same the fan can get quieter, sometimes for months.

5. antonine

antonine New Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Thanks!

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Mikeguy likes this.
  7. Barnstormer

Barnstormer Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Same thing happened to me. I bought a refurbished Roamio with a somewhat nosier than normal fan. After a few months the fan suddenly became very noisy after it had been unplugged and restarted. I opened the unit up and sprayed a bit of a teflon lubricant on the fan. I closed things up and turned it on. The fan was still noisy.

I got distracted and left the room. When I returned a few hours later the fan was quiet, very quiet. It has remained so for the past 8 months. I figure that something might have been causing an imbalance in the mechanism. The lubricant may have helped the fan to spin it out and away. Just a guess, of course.

Mikeguy likes this.
  8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I would lube or replace. Much better to avoid a failure than to trust that it fixed itself. I would expect the friction of the fan would have more heat than a few degree rise due to outside temperatures.

9. antonine

antonine New Member

Sep 24, 2017
  10. antonine

antonine New Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Interesting, thanks. I was about ready to at least try to lube it, but I'm going to leave well enough alone for now until it gets noisy again.

11. antonine

antonine New Member

Sep 24, 2017
    jrtoo, I hear what you're saying, but I find it intimidating enough to just get into the unit that I'm going to wait until I really need to repair it. I'm hoping my earlier unplugging of the TiVo to reboot caused the fan or the fan circuitry to get off, but that the latest unplugging reset things to normal, where they'll stay.

12. josim

josim New Member

May 21, 2016
    South Carolina
    antonine,
    I wish you the best of luck. My experience w/my OTA purchased in Nov. and it's replacement received in Jan. is that after power failure, they both started howling. I tried lubing the second one and it failed in 3 weeks. I would just buy a fan to have on hand and just replace it when the noise starts again. I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07937JGRQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think it is a good fan that should last so, I think the silicone mounts are optional.
    Good luck!

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  14. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    They are super easy to open, one screw. I don't remember how many are in the fan, but replacing it is also straightforward. If you are not comfortable with it, I would think someone else in your circle could handle it.

15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    When I bought my OTA during the BF sale, I let it run for six weeks. Then one day I pulled power for a day. When I applied power is when it got noisy. While replacing the hard drive is much easier than the fan, it isn't that hard. I can post fairly detailed steps if it will help you. You must have the three Torx drivers.

16. Tiger75

Tiger75 New Member

Sep 24, 2018
    My Roamio fan became very loud. I decided to open up my unit and oil the fan - it worked. The loud noise went away.
    I am definitely not a tech wizard yet it was pretty easy. You need a #9 torx screwdriver (has a star shaped end) - I bought a torx set at Home Depot for less than ten bucks. You only need to remove one screw on the back above the External Storage slot in the middle, after which you coax/pry off the cover. There was a lot of dust inside, especially on the fan which I blew off.
    I then dropped a few drops of light oil in the fan bearings. I used valve oil for a trumpet but any light oil should work. When putting cover back on, start with the tab in the front, then push down on sides and back until they snap in, and put back screw. Note: when you re-power the unit the hard drive will make loud whirling noise for a short time

17. byron.smith

byron.smith BSmith08

Nov 22, 2009
    My TiVo Roamio started the terrible fan noise several weeks ago and I unplugged it. Now reading this thread, it would appear this is a well known issue with this TiVo unit. Has TiVo stepped up to offer replacement units or extending the warranty?

18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Having TiVo replace your unit is one solution. Many others have decided to perform the process on their own. It is not rocket science or brain surgery, but not trivial either. This is a post in the thread that can give you an idea of the process. Where to get roamio basic or OTA cooling fan replacement