Roamio OTA: Dreaded V53 & Mixed up sub-channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by trishymouse, Aug 14, 2016.

1. trishymouse

trishymouse New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    North...

Advertisements

I am not a technical person, so bear with me - I really need your help!!

I have a Roamio OTA. I ONLY get channels OTA via a roof long-range antenna.

For the last 10 days or so (estimate) I am getting the dreaded V53 error on many channels (all, really, at one time or another). I have had my Roamio for over a year and never had this problem before, so I ask, why now?

Was there a software update to my Roamio recently that might be causing this problem?

Signal strength on majority of channels is 72 tonight (those are working, for now)

Signal strength on two channels that normally work but are showing V53 tonight, is 31.

ALSO: 4.1 to 4.10 sub-channels are mixed up now for approximately the same time period as referenced above for the V53 problem. The TiVO guide remains the same as always, the way the channels are supposed to be, but the channels are not where they are supposed to be. For example, 4.8 (Laff) is now showing up on 4.6 (Grit). 4.7 (Escape) is broadcasting on 4.4 (normally Decades. 4.3 (Comet) is broadcasting on 4.7 (Escape).

Can anyone help me figure this out? Point me in the right direction? HELP!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The last update (20.6.1) caused me a problem on a couple of channels, which I think spread to the other channels. What I finally did was re-run Guided Setup and since then, no more channel problems.

Guided Setup will not delete your passes or recorded shows (Only Clear & Delete Everything does.)

BTW, Why did you post this on the Premiere forum instead of Roamio forum (and crossposted here)

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    May I ask your zipcode?

4. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Does your TV have a tuner ? Have you tried watching the problem channels with the TV ?

If you have a coax splitter, try connecting both the TV and the TiVo to the splitter. Then when there is a problem on the TiVo, use the TV's remote to quick switch between the two. If they both show the problem, then it is probably the antenna or the wiring to the antenna. Try the easiest first.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

One caveat here however is the loss (minimum of 3 dB for a perfect 2-way splitter). If your signal strengths are marginal (as they appear to be) this additional loss will queer up your results in this A-B comparison test.

An A-B cable TV switch would be preferable. If you search "cable TV switch" on Amazon you will find a number of them starting as low as $5 and they have Prime shipping.

6. tivoyahoo

tivoyahoo New Member

Sep 4, 2003
    or you could first just direct connect the coax to the tv tuner as prior poster suggested and not lose any signal and see how the 2 problem channels look before attaching an a/b switch. and let us know what you're seeing on the tv.

( btw, anyone reading this have a suggestion on a high quality a/b switch preferrably remote controlled to use to feed ota & cable to a bolt? discussed at this thread - http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10941978#post10941978 )

Is channel 4 one of the weak signal signal channels? Or are they 2 other channels? and what channels are they? those 2 channels may be coming from a different transmitter tower. sounds like you are getting good reception on the others, but not on 2 channels so those could be coming from a different direction and / or farther away. which is why prior poster asked about zip code or at least the city to try to sort that out. have you looked at http://antennaweb.org/Address? that will give you details on the towers in the area for your address. that would help shed some light. also since the subchannels moved around on channel 4, maybe there is some transmitter work going on at tower. again, connecting direct to tv would help see if you are receiving those channels properly. but sounds like channel 4 is just that the tivo channel directory and guide data doesn't match what you're actually receiving - decades is on 4.7 not 4.4. so try connecting to the tv and see what subchannel is where in that scenario. could be a guide data mixup on tivo's end.

the helpers need more info to try to diagnose and solve. btw, helpers there is more info in other threads - see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10967253#post10967253 which will also then point you to 3rd thread where this also getting discussed. and I believe OP reran guided setup as ThAbtO suggested in this thread and others suggested in other threads.

7. tivoyahoo

tivoyahoo New Member

Sep 4, 2003
    I believe the 2 tallest structures in the western hemisphere are both in eastern ND and you're likely receiving from both - kvly and krdk masts. why would 2 so tall be built so close together?? interesting question - maybe somebody knows the answer. and I wonder over flat terrain how far the signal can be received. anyway, I am guessing your problem channels are on other towers in the area, but you haven't told us the problem channels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_structures

some quick googling sheds some light on your channel 4 situation:

this info appears to be out of date - see below, but am guessing krdk is the channel with sub issues (but not signal strength):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRDK-TV
    Subchannels
    4.1 Cozi TV
    4.2 BEK Sports
    4.3 Comet
    4.4 Decades
    4.5 Movies!
    4.6 Grit
    4.7 Escape
    4.8 Laff
    4.9 Heroes & Icons
    4.10 Buzzr

looks like the station was sold or something is going on:

https://www.facebook.com/KRDKTV/

"The decision to remove H&I, Decades and Movies! was not ours alone."

but if you read the posts you should be able to sort out what is going on. and tivo and the guide data just hasn't caught up to the recent changes.

8. MacBrian

MacBrian Active Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Kansas
    OMG THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS COMMENT!! :D

I've got a Premiere AND a Roamio, both of which had accumulated a whole mess of duplicated channels and sub-channels in the channel line-up. Some had three and even four duplicates!

I reran the Guided Setup on the Premiere and it totally cleaned up all the duplicates -- and what's even better, the tuner is NOW able to lock on to my weakest channel and it's subchannels! (That channel had started breaking up too much to watch several months ago.)

I don't understand why rerunning Guided Setup improved the reception performance for a particular channel, but it did and it's back and stable after the new guided setup.

My Roamio had also been having signal issues on a particular channel where the picture would pixelize and freeze, then start up again after 10-15 seconds. (This happened to be on NBC -- made for frustrating Olympics watching!) That problem also went away after Guided Setup got rid of all the duplicated channels.

I don't know how or why the duplicates showed up, but I had just been unchecking them in the channel list when they showed up. A re-scan of the channels never got rid of the extras, so they've just been building up. No I know repeating the Guided Setup will fix them if they show up again!

9. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    My theory is Guided Setup repaired and precisely tuned to the proper frequencies.