Roamio OTA, buffering live TV while in standby mode

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by GHender5, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Aug 9, 2019 #1 of 18
    GHender5

GHender5 New Member

Jul 9, 2019
    I just purchased a Roamio OTA directly from Tivo, and am shocked that I cannot get it to show me the previous 30 minutes of whatever channel it was tuned to before it was put into standby. My Premiere, which is what I’m “upgrading” from always has 30 minutes waiting on both tuned channels. I have made 4 calls to Tivo tech support, and 3 out of 4 techs said “just do this”, call back if it doesn’t work. It never did. 4th tech told me it’s not something that any Tivo can do, including Premiere. Any Roamio owners who have had any luck?

2. Aug 9, 2019 #2 of 18
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Your description of how your Premiere functions is at odds with everything I've seen/read Re: TiVos and Standby mode. The Roamio OTA is performing as expected.

3. Aug 9, 2019 #3 of 18
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    My Premiere doesn't stop buffering either...of course it's never in Standby Mode...

Proposed solution:

Don't put the Roamio in Standby Mode.

-KP

mdavej and Mikeguy like this.
  4. Aug 9, 2019 #4 of 18
    hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Perhaps you're confusing standby with the power saver settings?

5. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Umm, the power saving settings all place the TiVo in standby, after a delay that varies depending on which power saving mode is used.

6. hapster85

Sep 7, 2016
    Doesn't the lowest setting continue to buffer, though? It's been a while since I've messed with it, so I'm probably remembering wrong.

7. GHender5

GHender5 New Member

Jul 9, 2019
    I was told by a Tivo tech support rep that all I needed to do was put power savings on low to allow me to still see buffering at all times, as it was with my Premiere. It didn’t fix the problem. Going into Standby (green light off) kills buffering on the new unit. Another rep told me that every Tivo ever made does buffering to flash memory- not the HD while while in Standby, and that they will replace my unit if it isn’t resolved

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Wow! Two lines of BS from one TiVo rep. Standby always stops the tuners from buffering. The level of power saving does not affect anything except the 2 hour mode blocks suggestions. Flash memory is not used. In Diagnostics, the item "Time Since Tune Lock" is the time (in seconds) that a tuner has been active on a channel. When leaving Standby, all counters start at zero.

kpeters59 and krkaufman like this.
  9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The TiVo rep was confusing buffering live TV and Suggestions recordings.

And I remain skeptical that your Premiere has a full 30-minute buffer coming out of Standby.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    We each get a demerit. A two-tuner Premiere buffers during Standby. Counter also keeps counting. I thought we knew everything. :oops:

krkaufman likes this.
  11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Very cool; I’m quite OK with being wrong. It does make me wonder what the value of Standby is, at that point; just powering down AV outputs? Did the buffering follow the Suggestions power saving levels paradigm, or does it always buffer?

Did all previous boxes behave that way, and it changed with the 4-tuner Premieres?

p.s. Thanks for researching/testing/whatever to verify the behavior. I *am* a little surprised I’d never heard of this behavior before, prior to the OP.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    On Saturday I plug in my Premiere and spare Roamio, so this was just good timing. There's no power saving on a Premiere so it always buffers. My weekly connection takes 2.5 hours to populate the guide. It's funny how different h/w, using the same software acts sometimes. If I power down a Roamio in Standby, it wakes up to TiVo Central. A Premiere wakes up and goes back to sleep.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    So in both cases, buffering Live TV. ;)

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No, sorry to confuse things. A Roamio in Standby stops all the buffers.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    But you said the Roamio “wakes up to TiVo Central.” So both boxes should be buffering Live TV after a power cycle.

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I should have made that power cycle stuff in its own paragraph since it's not related to Standby. I'll try again:
    Premiere buffers in Standby, a Roamio does not.
    Power up a Premiere that was in Standby, it goes back to Standby and buffers.
    Power up a Roamio that was shut down in Standby, it powers up to TiVo Central/Home, and buffers.

To be complete: when a TiVo powers up it sets all tuners to the active tuner when it was powered off.

aaronwt and krkaufman like this.
  17. rpiotro

rpiotro Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Greenfield, WI
    Don't use standby! I have a Kill-a-watt device and I discovered the difference is about two (yes 2) watts of power consumption. I know it will pi$$ off Al Gore that I am using an additional two watts but tough.

Or unplug it when not in use if you are really concerned with energy savings.

Mikeguy likes this.
  18. hapster85

Sep 7, 2016
    I'd read previously somewhere that the power savings was pretty insignificant, which is why I don't bother. Unplugging it would only be an option on a unit that's pretty much never used for me. I'm not going to wait 5 - 10 minutes for it to power up every time I want to use it.

mdavej likes this.