1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio OTA and slow-tuning issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by CJLinst, Sep 9, 2018.

1. CJLinst

CJLinst New Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Out here for a week and am setting up a new Bolt Mini VOX paired to an existing, working Roamio OTA (older-style, not VOX).

Besides some channel guide problems and having to manually tune a bunch of channels last summer (she's in the boonies with nothing but translators from about three metro regions) the Roamio OTA has been working fine. Decent-to-marginal signal but that's about what we can get out here.

When the Bolt Mini asked if I wanted to downgrade its OS or upgrade the master Roamio OTA to "New Experience" I decided, while I'm out here, I'd get her current.

It works, except now when the OTA tunes a channel that is not already tuned, it takes about 30 seconds.

• First the content is black
    • Then after roughly 15 seconds I get a "Problem with the signal on this channel. Trying again V53.
    • Then if I let that sit, the channel will come in and be fine.

These timings vary somewhat but the cycle is always the same and the total time is always close to 30 seconds.

This did not occur before the upgrade to "New Experience."

Signal strength should be better since I was able to eliminate a splitter since we used to be splitting the signal over the coax to the TV in the bedroom where the hardwire ethernet Bolt Mini VOX now lives.

I have tried getting all 4 channels going and they can be cycled through with Live TV no problem.

Change any one and it takes tens of seconds as described above.

Not looking forward to the neanderthal level 1 support run around I will get from TiVo so posting here first.

Any input solicited.

Thanks.

2. CJLinst

CJLinst New Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Of course they blamed signal strength. The "New Experience" signal strength checker (which looks like the old-style menus) shows 67-72 with SNR of 27. Seems to lock up just fine. Nice channel master pointed direct LOS to a mountaintop about 18 miles away. Amplifier or no amplifier, it tops out at 72. It's not going to get any better.

I am downgrading off "New Experience". Like the new menus but I think they buggered up OTA somehow. I knew she'd end up having to delete all recordings and season passes. Now we get to try to get the channel list sorted out again too. Thanks, TiVo.

3. CJLinst

CJLinst New Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Old Experience is now doing the same sort of thing. Completely at a loss.

When the channels eventually tune there is no pixelation or artifacting. Looks great. Unless I can fix it by next week I'll return the mini vox and start looking at alternatives like a channelmaster or something.

Calling a signal strength of 72 too low seems ludicrous to me. If that's the case the bar should be yellow or red, not green.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  4. CJLinst

CJLinst New Member

Mar 13, 2005
    More digging. This looks like a problem with program lock, not signal lock. I would think that points to the guide data being incorrect. Anyone have any suggestions besides re-running guided setup? This is a ton of translators, no "real" channels.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm not sure I can solve the problem, but perhaps I can add to your knowledge. The signal of 72% is ideal. The AGC circuit of a basic Roamio or Bolt will try to achieve that number for OTA. A low SNR of 27dB is not so good, but not bad either. Something like mid 30s would be better. The Diagnostics for a tuner show its frequency and Program Number. You haven specified a channel or call letters. That makes it impossible for me to check if those are correct. A TiVo doesn't use the PSIP, so while a TV can find your channel using a scan, TiVo depends on a database of channels and their characteristics. I always use Wiki to look up the station by its call letters. But remember that some stations are moving around dues to the FCC repack. I'm lucky to have a Sony TV that shows the frequency, SNR and signal% for channels. Honestly, I don't know the difference between Signal and Program Lock except that all mine are both yes. When I tune to a "dead" channel both are "-". Hope this helps.

6. CJLinst

CJLinst New Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Thanks for the info. Sometimes the SNR is 29. I don't know what the noise might be. Pretty much in the boondocks here but I really don't think I'm looking at a signal strength issue.

It could very well be that the guide data is just all wrong.

Even if the TV out here showed more information (it doesn't) Not sure how I would parlay that into fixing the TiVo.

I have several channels that are Signal Lock: Yes, Program Lock: No. They will not tune on the TiVo but will tune on the TV, so that fits.

All of the channels are translators. Examples that are exhibiting the 30-second tune issue include:

K46AF-D 2-1 CBS (Real 46)
    K44AG-D 4-1 ABC (44)
    K42AD-D 5-1 NBC (42)
    K40AF-D 7-1 PBS (40)

Again, any info graciously solicited.

Thanks.