1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio OTA and Mini Vox Setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by C T, Jul 13, 2018 at 1:15 PM.

1. C T

C T New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I'm trying to ditch cable and move to OTA. I currently have internet my office, Roamio OTA in my upstairs bedroom (better reception on the OTA antenna), and just ordered the Mini VOX for my living room. If I've read all the instructions correctly, I've attached the following block diagram for my setup. I'm just looking for input on whether or not this is going to work...Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Each room looks correct, in theory, but how the rooms’ coax outlets connect to each other and the incoming cable signal would need to be known to give an overall thumbs-up. And aside from the basic connectivity between rooms, the absence of detail Re: the central connections results in omission of the required “PoE” MoCA filter to keep MoCA signals off the cable provider premise.

Questions:

How do the coax runs, and incoming cable line, interconnect? Through what components?

Are there any other additional unused coax runs, not depicted, to any of the rooms from the (assumed) central junction location?

Would you prefer the DVR to be located in the Living Room if the received antenna signal were strong enough? (Many prefer the silent Mini’s for Bedroom deployment.)

Do you have any other devices in the Living Room or Bedroom that would benefit from a wired Ethernet connection?

Do you have any PCs or Ethernet-capable devices in other rooms that would benefit from a wired network connection (or could indirectly benefit your wireless-only devices by displacing some wireless traffic to wired)?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 2:09 PM
  3. C T

C T New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Cable enters the house to a junction box in a closet where it spiders out to 4 rooms in the house via 1 to 4 splitter. The antenna reception isn't good enough in the first floor living room, therefore it's currently connected to the Roamio in the master bedroom. My TV in the living room is currently connected via wifi, just trying to get in access to the Roamio.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Then, in that simple case, the "PoE" MoCA filter (see here) would need to be installed on the input of the 4-way splitter, and you'd be good-to-go with everything connected as diagrammed. (Best practices would also have you right-size the splitter to a 3-way if the fourth coax run is unused, or terminate the unused connection.)

Understood, but my question remains ... Would you prefer the DVR, rather than the Mini VOX, in the Living Room? If so, your central coax connections could be altered to support a remote connection to the antenna up in the bedroom.

The questions Re: other Ethernet devices remain, as well. Multiple devices can piggyback on a MoCA adapter's connection via a standalone network switch.

5. C T

C T New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    ok, you have peaked my curiosity...if I place the Roamio i the living room, how can I keep the antenna upstairs?

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Gimme a few; I need to dig through my archives to find an example. An antenna/satellite diplexer will be involved (more background >here<, whilst I search).

edit: p.s. A bit like the following, but tweaked to address the central cable connection and modem/router in, critically, a different room than the Roamio or antenna.

davrollins Tivo setup annotated.gif

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 5:16 PM
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The following should work for strategically routing your antenna signal from the Bedroom down to the Living Room, with MoCA passing to each location while keeping your OTA and cable signals segmented (to the degree needed).

diplexer workaround.png

The setup in the Living Room and Office can be simplified (eliminating the diplexer and splitter, respectively) if the MoCA adapter chosen for the project includes a RF pass-through port.

edit: p.s. Note that the OTA signal will definitely be diminished relative to its direct connection in the Bedroom (both due to the diplexers and the greater coax run length), but the diplexers will hopefully keep the loss to a minimum.

See here for a list of MoCA-related parts.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 9:50 PM
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Reviewing the options, you'd probably be well-served by simply getting things working per your original plan, first, and then try the diplexer workaround, when you have some spare time and no one needs the TiVo's. The diplexer workaround is really just a slight tweak to the original plan.