Roamio OTA and Logitech Harmony 650?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rsamos, Aug 21, 2015.

1. rsamos

rsamos Member

Aug 20, 2015
    MN

Advertisements

First - hello from a brand new Tivo user. FWIW - I'm loving it (and the Mini)

Either this hasn't been direclty addressed, or my search-fu is horribly weak.

I'm thinking of picking up a Logitech 650 to control my AV receiver, and was wondering if the OTA with the RF remote (series 5) has an IR sensor in it. The Logitech site says the 650 will control an OTA, but I don't know if there's an earlier model that is IR only.

Thanks.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You're good. The Roamios (all models) do both IR & RF, as does the later Mini v2. (edit: And it's not one or the other; both protocols are always active.)

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    p.s. To toggle the Roamio/Mini v2 remote between IR & RF modes...
    Set remote to IR mode: press & hold (C)+TiVo buttons until LED flashes red

Set remote to RF mode: press & hold (D)+TiVo buttons until LED flashes amber​

4. rsamos

rsamos Member

Aug 20, 2015
    MN
    Perfect!

Thanks very much for that.

5. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014

Advertisements

If you do buy a Logitech 650, please ask Logitech to use a discrete (separate) infrared code for Standby and a discrete code for Resume. Not just a toggle which is what they have for the Logitech 600. Logitech will only add the codes if a customer requests them within their free customer support period, I was too late when requesting it for the 600.

I believe separate codes Might exist since TiVo will only turn on (resume) when the Tivo or Live Button are pressed and TiVo can distinguish between those two. I say might because those are RF codes whereas Logitech would need the infrared.

It is hard to believe that Logitech does not already have discrete codes for Standby and Resume. At some point remotes get out of sync with the devices and Tivo will be Resuming when All Off is pressed, the opposite of what is wanted.

6. thefisch

thefisch Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Not sure about the Harmony 650 or 600, but my 880 (that is very, very old) can load older versions of devices to access older remote codes from previous versions. For example, my Denon AVR3312 remote codes on the logitech do not support the dimmer control. So I found an older device (AVR3801) that had that option and added it to all activities just to have that custom button. Haven't need to do that for TiVo as it had all the buttons on the remote plus some not on the remote.

7. rsamos

rsamos Member

Aug 20, 2015
    MN
    I could certainly ask them for discrete codes once I have the controller (ordered from Amazon this morning). Not sure I'll ever use them, but I can make a request.

Do they toggle power on & off also? That's all I've got for the A/V receiver I'm using. I was a bit concerned about that when I first got it, but my old battle worn Pronto never seemed to have a sequencing issue with it.

8. rsamos

rsamos Member

Aug 20, 2015
    MN
    It will be interesting to see how it does with my hd-dvd player. :facepalm:

9. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    If the device has discrete Power-On/Off functions and it's in Logitech's database it will. For example, Panasonic televisions have discrete power functions as well as a toggle, and my Harmony remotes use them instead of the toggle (very nice). My receiver, on the other hand, only has the toggle function, so I find it useful to program a receiver toggle button on my remote menu.

When you program the Harmony remote you can look at the buttons the device supports to see if the discrete power functions are available.

10. rsamos

rsamos Member

Aug 20, 2015
    MN
    Thanks for that. Given that I don't have the 650 yet, I haven't directly seen the programming interface. I've seen a couple Youtube vids that show a simplistic wizard, but that doesn't really give me a sense of what might or might not be possible underneith the wrappers.

Only remote I've programed before has been the Pronto I mentioned. That was pretty simple but still allowed (required) defining the sequence, timing, functions associated with any given button.

11. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    With the Harmony series you don't program it at the lowest level; you tell it what devices you have, tell it what you need to do something (like watch TV with a TiVo), and then answer a bunch of questions to make it work. I think their goal is to make it usable for people who don't think like programmers; whether or not they were successful you will find out as you set up your 650.

12. rsamos

rsamos Member

Aug 20, 2015
    MN
    I'm fairly certain you're right about their goal in the design of the programming interface.

The ironic rub in that is that for those of us that do think like programmers it can look like features & abilities are missing. Somewhat like administrating a Windows system vs. UNIX.

As you said - I'll find out. Amazon swears that I'll have my 650 tomorrow.

And the thing I'm looking forward to the most is mucking about with programming it. *sigh*

13. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    All Harmony remotes will do a great job of controlling any Toshiba HD DVD player.

14. 4d3fect

4d3fect New Member

May 5, 2015
    We've got a 650 controlling our Roamio OTA, no gripes so far, although the Logitech seems to be a bit pickier with directionality, not enough to render it useless.

15. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    If you like programming, pick up a $16 Nevo C2 from ebay. You can program at the bit level if you want. And it runs circles around the 650. For example it has:

- 15 devices
    - 72 favorites, multiple favorites lists
    - 6 functions per page
    - higher resolution LCD
    - programmable hold durations
    - pronto hex import
    - custom protocols and devices
    - convert learns to devices
    - IR code analysis tools
    - access to JP1 database
    - offline programming and infinite number of offline configs

If you want Harmony-style hand holding, it can do that too.

This model originally sold for $150, so it's a hell of a deal. I've got over a dozen of them. Of course it works brilliantly with Tivo and any other IR device you can imagine.

Check out this thread for more info:
    http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14804

16. rsamos

rsamos Member

Aug 20, 2015
    MN
    Thank you!

I'm going to look into grabbing one of those to play with.

17. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I have several UEI JP1 remotes, although not the Nevo C2 and I can say the remotes are very capable but using JP1 to program the remotes is so painful, I won't do it any longer, instead I use Harmony remotes. The Logitech Harmony remotes blow UEI remotes away for my money.

I don't have the Harmony 650 but currently my three systems in house have one Harmony remote each, the Harmony One, Harmony 900 and Harmony 700. The Harmony 700 is very similar to the 650 but with rechargeable AA batteries using the USB connection, worth the premium for me.

18. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    +1 to the Harmony 700. Only issue I had was that eventually the power off button got harder and harder to activate till it finally stopped. So I bought a 650 and currently use it, but have another 700 new in the package as backup, since I despise the lack of hard number buttons on Logitech's newest remotes.

They need to take a step back and work on enhancing the Harmony One remote(like adding color buttons). That, IMO, was the best remote they have put out.

19. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    The Nevo/Xsight line was a big departure for UEI. They have a wizard based website for configuration just like Logitech, activities, LCD display, the whole nine yards. They also work with JP1 software as well which has improved greatly over the years.

All my Harmony remotes, including my 600, 650 and 700s are in my closet simply because I can do absolutely anything I want with JP1, which I admit has a steep learning curve. I agree Harmony can't be beat for simplicity, but they lack many of the advanced capabilities posted above.

If anybody has $16 to spare, Nevo would be well worth a try.

20. rsamos

rsamos Member

Aug 20, 2015
    MN
    Well, my 650 should be here soon so I'll see how that goes for me.

I may be kind of spoiled by the flexability of the Pronto. I only now replacing it as the software didn't keep up with OS upgrades. I'm probably going to have to build a virtual partition on one of my machines to load an older version of Winderz onto if I want to get it running again.

The Nevo sounds interesting too though. I'll probably try to get the software running on something around here as a first step if I decide to give one of them a shot.

But baby steps. First I'll make an honest effort to give the Harmony a fair shake.