Roamio: Not booting to guide after setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sliderbob, May 16, 2019 at 3:34 PM.

1. sliderbob

sliderbob Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ogden, UT
    I have formatted 2 Roamio 500gb drives and an 8tb drive to reuse in a Roamio. Once I put in the formatted drive, I am able to go to guided setup and setup everything with no problems and I have a guide and am able to view the shows, HOWEVER, when I turn off the Roamio and turn it back on, it goes to starting up for a few minutes and then a blank screen-happens on all of the drives. I don't know why it's happening? I am running Hydra-argh...and also cannot rollback to the original OS. Any suggestions on what to do, besides using it as a paperweight? I have also tried ALL of the kickstart codes...didn't work.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo does not turn off, unless you pull the power. Explain what you meant by formatting the drives. Tivo does not use the usual formats such as in Windows (NTFS, FAT, FAT32) or apple's exFAT

Kickstarts are tricky to trigger. Timing is critical and use the remote in IR mode not RF.

3. sliderbob

sliderbob Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ogden, UT
    When I unplug the Tivo, then plug it back in, it takes a minute and goes to starting up...then I get a blank screen and stays blank-I've left it on for up to 20 minutes before.

I have to reformat the drive-to ntfs, when I cannot re-do a guided setup on the 8tb. I have no problems using the kickstart codes, but some don't work with this Hydra software.

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The drive needs to be blank and unformatted not formatted to NTFS. You need to erase the drive and not have any partitions that Tivo does not recognize.

5. sliderbob

sliderbob Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ogden, UT
    Oh, so I thought the Roamio would already do that? Do I just format it to raw mode or what?

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Blank, no partitions.

7. sliderbob

sliderbob Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ogden, UT
    Ok, I reinitiated the 8tb as raw-not formatted. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks!

8. sliderbob

sliderbob Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ogden, UT
    No, same scenario. I get the guided setup and see the channels, then I do a reboot....it goes through the whole booting process and gets ready to go to the guide, then it goes and stays black. I think it has something to do with the Hyrda software.

By the way, this Roamio does NOT have an active subscription...that shouldn't affect the drive from booting to a guide though, am I correct?

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 9:02 PM
  9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I replaced four drives in four Roamio boxes. All were formatted NTFS and not a quick format. None have any problems. A 3TB drive takes about 12 hours.

10. sliderbob

sliderbob Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ogden, UT
    I think I will try a full format on one of the 500gb and see if that does the trick...if so, then I will proceed to the 8tb.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I use an external USB 3.0 cradle. 500GB should only take about an hour and does not stop the computer from other tasks.

12. sliderbob

sliderbob Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ogden, UT
    Same here. I'm at about 29% formatted now. I didn't think that fast formatting and a full format would be a big deal?

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I figure if there is a defect on a platter then a full format could find it. Plus the extra time gets the drive warmup up. A quick format doesn't do much. The Roamio is still going to reformat the drive, but it's also just a quick format. I have four basic Roamio boxes. All were purchased with 500GB drives. One has 1TB and the others have 3TB drives. I have filled up the 1TB drive twice and never filled up any of the 3TB drives. One drive, that just saves deleted "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" programs, has programs going back to 10/1/2017. But it's ABC and they are only about 3GB each.

sliderbob likes this.
  14. sliderbob

sliderbob Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ogden, UT
    No. That didn't work either. I can still do guided setup and get to the guide after all of the setup, BUT once I restart/reboot the Tivo, it goes to the grey screen and shows "Starting Up", then after a minute, I get the blank black screen. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    If it boots and goes through Guided Setup it isn't the drive. It sounds like its either booting into Standby mode or a resolution that your TV can't handle. Try hitting the TiVo or Live TV key to rule out Standby, and if that doesn't work I would try different HDMI cables or ports on your TV. You could even try a component video connection to rule out a bad HDMI port on the Roamio.

P.S. You will also need to use MFSR to reformat any drive over 3TB, or you will only get a small fraction of the total available space on the 8TB drive.

16. sliderbob

sliderbob Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ogden, UT
    Yeah, when I do the guided setup, it is a clean setup and goes to the guide and live 720p video...everything works at that time. Then when I reboot it, I get a black screen after it shows starting up with the grey screen with the arrow. I can see the Tivo accepting commands from the remote, but why would it be a bad HDMI when it already was working before I rebooted it?

Just tried the A/V and it was the exact same scenario.

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 1:51 PM
  17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You have posted that before. When it boots, are saying that it goes to the guide without hitting the guide key? My TE4 Roamio always boots to the HOME menu. I hit Slow to kill the video.

18. sliderbob

sliderbob Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ogden, UT
    When it boots, I get the Tivo guy and the Starting up message...a minute later I get the grey screen with the arrow and the message starting up...a minute later a black screen and that's it.

19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Ok, that's bad. Have you tried the hdui reset? That's: Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play. It's a shot in the dark. But it does sound like there's a video issue. Also, when it's sitting there, give it some time. Maybe it's busy. Does the amber LED indicate remote control activity? That would prove it's not dead.

20. sliderbob

sliderbob Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ogden, UT
    The Tivo responds to the remote-I can see the front display lights on the Tivo, but the screen remains black. The ONLY time it works-Guide, video, etc is when I do a complete guided setup and leave it on. After I unplug it or reboot it, I get this mess.

I tried it using the A/V output and it gave me the same blank screen after booting it up.

When or where do I do the HDUI reset...as it is booting up, or do I need to be at the main menu-if so, I need to do the guided setup again.

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 3:14 PM