Roamio mini connection question

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Johanna1, May 8, 2015.

1. May 8, 2015 #1 of 19
    Johanna1

Johanna1 New Member

May 8, 2015

Advertisements

I have a new Roamio OTA and I would like to add a mini for my bedroom TV. We have a community WIFI system, so my Roamio uses a wireless connection to the internet. I understand the mini must be hardwired to the Roamio, however. I have an old router and LAN wiring on hand. Could I connect both units to the router, for their connection, with the Roamio connected by WIFI to the internet?

2. Johanna1

Johanna1 New Member

May 8, 2015
    Thanks but no thanks for your help everyone! In case anyone is interested, I decided to go ahead and try it, and it does not work. Apparently the mini needs a connection to the internet over the LAN, not just to the other box. I suppose I shall have a mini to sell on ebay.

3. MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    I had the same problem with my Roamio Plus. I have a MoCa Adapter on order, so I can connect them. A MoCa network will solve your problem. Lots of threads about it.

I only needed 1 MoCa adapter; but I believe that you would need 2 with the OTA.

4. MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
  5. ukwildcat4life

ukwildcat4life Member

Apr 13, 2014

Advertisements

You have two options: 1. if your home is wired with ethernet then you can connect your Roamio and mini via ethernet. if your home is not wired for ethernet then 2. you can buy two MoCA adapters ( one connected to your router to create the MoCA network and the other one connected to your Roamio which will bridge the MoCA connection to your Mini ( the mini already has MoCA built into it so all you would need to do is connect your Coax cable and make sure in your mini's network settings that it is set to MoCA and not ethernet) let us know if you need any more help... the link that the last person posted has lots of info on how to create a MoCA network...

6. Johanna1

Johanna1 New Member

May 8, 2015
    The problem is I have only community (my townhouse community) WIFI, by which to connect to the internet. I can connect the two Tivo boxes by either coax or LAN, but the mini seems to also need to connect to the internet over these wires. There is no modem to connect the router or MOCA adapter to.

7. MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    If you are just sharing a WiFi signal, you are probably out of luck.

8. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    No she's not. She could get a wifi Ethernet adapter which would fool the Roamio into thinking it had a hard wired Ethernet connection and then it would bridge her internet to her coax/moca.

Something like these:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Ethernet+wifi+adapter

I've seen the netgear ones at Walmart all the time.

9. MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    Hmmm, I had thought of doing that for my Riamio; but thought that I read it wouldn't work. I didn't know why though. I hope it does. The streaming could be an issue with the shared WiFi, but the TiVo and guide downloads would be fine if that works.

10. Peter G

Peter G Member

Jan 3, 2012
    The wireless adapter may work, but it will be dependant on the bandwidth of your community WiFi. I have heard some success stories and some disappointments with this approach.

Community WiFi means you are sharing same network with several other households? Interesting. Mabe in this case the WiFi is high speed/high bandwidth so it might work.

Peter G

11. Johanna1

Johanna1 New Member

May 8, 2015
    Yes it's high speed, high bandwidth. Thank you, that might work.

It's a beach community, I live here year-round, but most are second homes, so it makes sense to go community WIFI. It adds $10 a month to our HOA fee and folks don't have to worry about maintaining a home network. Especially for people who do vacation rentals; they can just give the renters the trouble number to call if they have problems.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm using an ASUS EA-N66R on my Roamio and a TiVo AN0100 on my Mini. Both think they are wired. The Netgear items are not very powerful. The Roamio works with anything so far, but the Mini only works with the TiVo adapter. I don't know why. I have tried Linksys and the smaller Netgear adapters. Not so good.

13. ukwildcat4life

ukwildcat4life Member

Apr 13, 2014
    +1 since you don't have an actual router in your home, what harper vision suggested was going to be my suggestion as well; that would pretty much be your only option given your situation. If you do go that route and invest in the wifi ethernet adapters I hope they work. Report back and let us know if it does....good luck....

14. Johanna1

Johanna1 New Member

May 8, 2015
    Hello again guys. Just wanted to report that I have got it working, and thank you all for your help and suggestions. I got a refurb NETGEAR WNCE2001 from Amazon, got it connected to our WIFI and plugged it into the "internet in" plug on my old router (I disabled the router's wireless broadcast); ran some old LAN cables to the Roamio and the mini, then started them up. I had to register the mini to my account and restart the roamio before they'd recognize each other, which I did and they did. So I have a little ethernet home network and it's all working great, thanks again.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  15. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Incredible! You should patent that idea. ;)

16. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    how are the speeds? any hickups in video playback or streaming?

17. MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    Congratulations! Glad it worked out.

18. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Ditto! :)

19. ukwildcat4life

ukwildcat4life Member

Apr 13, 2014
    +1 I agree ! that was a great idea using your old router like that! good to hear everything is working!