Roamio HDMI port failure

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by 73Boomer, May 18, 2020.

1. 73Boomer

73Boomer New Member

May 18, 2020
    My Roamio HDMI port stopped working. Everything else works and Mini works fine. Does anyone have any thoughts on correcting ?
    Without HDMI, tv screen only shows 'no signal'
    Different HDMI cables and using other HDMI ports on tv make no difference, so DVR port is definitely the problem

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Unfortunately, its not replaceable.

3. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    This subject was discussed in another thread on this forum.
    The take away was; it would cost more to diagnose what's wrong than just buying a replacement. Plus more cost to fix the problem, IF it is even fixable.

My advice is to stream the content through your other TiVo device.

4. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    When my HDMI on my TiVoHD died, I just hooked up component video and optical audio. True, four wires instead of one, but it worked fine with 1080i and 720p. Today, with my Roamio and Bolt, if HDMI on one died, I'd do as Teeps suggested, and just stream from the broken HDMI device to the working one.

5. oldirtr

oldirtr Member

Apr 25, 2020
    or take it to a ps4,pc repair shop for them to replace the hdmi port with a new one , if its a lifetime version well worth it, if a pay per month then get another and save your old one for parts...

6. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    The service I found appears to replace damaged hdmi ports.
    The photos on the website show hdmi ports with mechanical failures due to abusive handling and/or subpar previous repair attempts.

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If it's a 4 tuner Roamio, then you can buy a composite breakout cable and connect to the composite input of your TV. If it's a 6 tuner Roamio, you can connect either component or composite built in outputs to your TV.

CopRock likes this.
  8. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    TiVo HDMI ports are fragile. I have a series 3, 4, and 5 lifetime TiVos which all have failed HDMI ports. I suspect some sort of ground loop between the TV and TiVo is to blame, but who knows. Some lasted years and some only weeks. So I use either component cables or a component to HDMI converter. The type with shot RCA pigtails seems a little neater:
    https://amazon.com/WSTD-Female-Converter-FemaleYpbpr-Compatible/dp/B07143MDTX/

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. austinsho

austinsho A repeated victim of Time Warner DBA Spectrum

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    And yet another HDMI port (possible) failure. Two days in a row, normal program audio has been replaced by a sound similar to pink noise, a roaring, rushing sound. Yesterday, it disappeared after a couple of seconds. Today it hung around until I unplugged the HDMI cable. When I plugged it back in, the noise was there for a second..then normal audio returned. Any thoughts if this could be HDMI?