Roamio, FiOS G1100 modem/router, Cable Card and new WiFi router network help

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Beersnob, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Beersnob

Beersnob New Member

Apr 22, 2015

Advertisements

For the past 4-5 years, I've had a Roamio Pro and 4 minis. In the begining, I had tv/internet servce via Verizon FiOS and a Cable Card. Recently, in my area, Frontier became the service provider with no change in hardware. The router that I have had since day 1 has been the G1100 with built in MoCA. So I have FiOS coming to the house, coax from the FiOS box in the garage to the Media Room where it splits. Split #1 goes to the Roamio and split #2 goes to the G1100. The WAN port is empty and the 4 LAN ports go to various devices including a Netgear hub.
    I DESPERATELY want to update the router without lossing the job it does for the minis (MoCA).
    Can I simply turn off the 2.4 & 5 radios in the G1100 and connect a new Synology Wifi Router to the WAN port of the G1100?? ....And of so, do I do anything else to the G1100 other then turn off the radios.
    I do not have any "On-Demand" or VoIP features with my cable subscription.

Any help is greatly appreciated as my wifi signal is horrible with the G1100 and I'm not confident that the firmware is kept up to date as well as it should be.

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    If you are going to maintain the G1100 as the router, then you don't want to install another router as that would segment your network with the typical configuration at least and would certainly cause you problems if you do any kind of show transfers with PC's on your network. It sounds like you just need an updated Access Point connected to one of the network ports of the G1100 (not the WAN port!), disable the G1100 wireless and make sure that the G1100 is still serving as the DHCP server for your network.

Scott

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    If you disable the DHCP Server on the G1100, you'll likely have good result using it as a MoCA Bridge/WiFi Access Point.

You also may need to change it's IP Address.

-KP

4. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    You do not mention what your internet speed tier is, but if you can get by with 150Mbps or so, you might consider trying one of these, WCB3000N "network extenders". https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_3?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=wcb3000n&sprefix=wcb,aps,255&crid=H56QR020YHH0
    They are MoCA based and should be able to take advantage of the G1100's MoCA to easily improve your wireless coverage, and they also have 2 Ethernet ports, you just need a common coax outlet to use them. They can be configured manually or via WPS, but if you use WPS, disable it when you are done as it is insecure.
    If these do not provide enough performance for you, there is a newer version, the WCB6200q but these are many times more expensive. https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-80...1&keywords=wcb6200q+wireless+network+extender
    But they will give you 400+Mbps when paired with the G1100.
    If you already have that Synology router, you should be able to put it into Access Point mode, which would allow you to take advantage of it's wireless, with or without disabling the wireless on the G1100. Usually, you would just run Ethernet from a LAN port on the G1100 to a LAN port on the Synology unit. Most routers configured as AP's only use their LAN ports, not the WAN port.
    Synology Router Manager - Knowledge Base | Synology Inc.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  5. Beersnob

Beersnob New Member

Apr 22, 2015

Advertisements

fcfc2 - Very interesting. My internet tier is 100/100 and I do NOT have the Synology router yet. Regardless of the version above I go with, does this mean that say I have an office (2 PCs) in the house with coax from the wall plate to a Tivo mini.......that I can use the 2-way MoCA splitter included in the kit (https://www.amazon.com/ACTIONTEC-WC...=UTF8&qid=1532439308&sr=8-3&keywords=wcb3000n) so that I have coax from wall to Mini and the Actiontec, then Cat6 from the Actiontec to the 2 computers...AND...closer wifi for any wireless IoT devices in the office???

6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Short version, yes, but look for the $14 version and buy a splitter if you need it, once connected, you could possibly just use the coax you have and then connect the mini in that location to one of the WCB3000N's 2 Ethernet port and put a small switch connected to the 2nd Ethernet port to connect other devices or just use a 2 way but get it separately, https://www.amazon.com/Holland-Elec...&qid=1532440600&sr=1-3&keywords=moca+splitter
    and you should be good.

7. Beersnob

Beersnob New Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Okay, makes total sense ...last question (hopefully) .....do you know if I will get any noticible speed improvement (or wifi range) with the upgraded version over the $14 version. The 2 PCs (both Gigabit)in the house would be wired to either version...wondering if there is a benifit to using the upgraded one in the Office and the base version in other locations of the house to extend the wifi in a "mesh" sort of way. I'm not adverse to spending the extra $135 for the office location but only if I will benefit from it....
    Thanks again

8. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The newer version is definitely a better device, and if you were on a higher speed tier and willing to spend the difference....you could go for it, but you are only on the 100Mbps tier and the older device, MoCA 1.1, should easily allow you to get those internet speeds and extend your wireless for a very low price. For the investment, the WCB3000N, should do everything you want/need for very few $$.
    The newer device (6200) is a bonded unit with the top potential for the current MoCA standards, but to get the max out of it, you would have to pair it with another bonded MoCA 2.0 adapter such as the Motorola MM1000 and stop using the G1100's standard MoCA 2.0 for your MoCA connection but even with those additions, your internet is still going to be capped at the 100Mbps tier, only other local networking transfers would benefit. Either way will get the job done, but if you are planning on boosting to a much higher internet speed, the new one is a good choice.