Roamio Dying/Looking at Bolt...can I swap HDD's???

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by jmerr74, Oct 8, 2017.

1. jmerr74

jmerr74 Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Pembroke...

Advertisements

...is that possible? I'd rather not lose the hours of recorded programs. Also, will the HDD fit? I upgraded my Roamio to 3TB right away.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Bolt uses a 2.5 inch drive.

Replacement drives for bolt

If both TiVo are networked, you can transfer all programs not copy protected. A Bolt has 1Gbps port. I don't know what model Roamio you have, but even a basic 100Mbps unit can work at 10 minutes of content per hour with a decent router. If it's a Pro, it should be 5 minutes per hour of HD content or better.

jmerr74 likes this.
  3. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Even if they were the same size, swapping drives would render the shows unviewable (or it might trigger reformat)

Your best bet is if your roamio is still somewhat working, you can offload the shows to your new TiVo using TiVo Online to schedule the transfers or use one of the PC tools to copy the shows to PC.

jmerr74 likes this.
  4. jmerr74

jmerr74 Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Pembroke...
    Okay a couple of lame questions...which PC program can I use? Also, if I transfer them to PC can I then put them on my Bolt...Online schedule will transfer everything I have from my 3TB to my "upgraded 3TB" Bolt, via an Ethernet cable?

I'm trying to make this switch as painless as possible.

5. jsessler

jsessler New Member

Dec 2, 2002

Advertisements

Way easier to this:
    setup new Bolt+ on your network.
    Login to TiVo Online
    Goto the Mange, OnePass Manager
    Select the old unit in the left column, and the new unit on the right.
    Click the "select all" on the old unit, then drag all the passes to the right (new)
    This transfers all the one passes

Next for recordings:
    Manage, Transfer Recordings
    Select old on left, new TiVo on right
    Click the "All"
    Press Transfer

It will take some time to do this, but you'll get most everything in a day or two.

6. jmerr74

jmerr74 Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Pembroke...
    Okay. Perfect! Thanks for the info/help! I've read Toshiba drives are best...? My WD Green drive should be good too, no?

7. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Bolt uses 2.5" drives, as pointed out earlier. Is the WD Green drive a 2.5" or 3.5"? You could cut a hole and use SATA cable from motherboard to external enclosure for 3.5", but easier to get the Toshiba and install internally.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Note that with both DVRs still online and active within the same TiVo account, you can select individual recordings to transfer from the Roamio via the new BOLT's UI, by traversing into the Roamio's "My Shows" listing via the unit's icon at the bottom of the BOLT's "My Shows" listing. The same copy-protection restrictions apply.

Do this a few times and you'll see why using TiVo Online was recommended.