Roamio drive upgrade advice, can I keep my old recordings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by bfollowell, Mar 2, 2020.

1. bfollowell

bfollowell Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Between the Tivo Community and the Weaknees web site, I upgraded my old Series 2 drive 15 years or so ago. I'm wanting to do something similar now with my Roamio Plus. I've purchased a Western Digital AV-GP 2TB drive. It'll be a good replacement for my aging original 1TB drive and a nice little boost in capacity at the same time.I've heard that Tivo has made it really easy to upgrade. Remove the old drive, install the new, boot the machine, and it'll do the rest, downloading and installing the software, etc.

It seems like, all those years ago, I also went to a bigger drive, and I did it in such a way that I kept all of my recordings. Is that possible today? If so, how involved is it? Or would I be better off just putting in a new drive, letting it do it's thing and forgetting about it?

I have a few things on the drive I'd like to keep, but if it's really a lot of trouble, it wouldn't be the end of the world if I let it go.

Thanks for any advice.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I would suggest you use a WD Red 8TB instead of a 2TB drive as you would be filling that 2Tb as fast as you are filling up the 1TB.

MFS Tools 3.2

More instructions on post #1399.

schwinn and apsarkis like this.