Roamio died, pretty good replacement offer

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by The Singing Bush, Jan 31, 2020.

1. The Singing Bush

The Singing Bush New Member

Dec 26, 2014
    My Roamio kicked yesterday (bootloop on the "Welcome! Starting up..." screen). I'm a bit bummed I only got about 5.5 years out of a lifetime contract, but oh well.

Anyway, TiVo offered a refurb Bolt for $80 and transferred the all-in for $199. I've been toying with trying something new but FiOS is actually more expensive if I remove the cable package and just do internet, and box rental would run me $60 a month for a DVR and one satellite. I was ready to cut and run but that $280 pays for itself in less than 6 months, so I guess I'll hang around this sinking ship a little longer.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    dianebrat and trip1eX like this.
  3. JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Before spending the money I would think about throwing in a new/different hard drive to see if that fixes the problem.

Mikeguy and dianebrat like this.
  4. The Singing Bush

Dec 26, 2014
    I had thought about replacing the hard drive but I found a bunch of threads saying it might be the hard drive or it might be the power source or it could just be fried, so I'm chalking this up to being a little lazy. It is an upgrade after all.

One thing that was a little annoying was they said the were sending the Bolt, but as a bonus they would send a couple accessories for free, which sounded nice. The free accessories? The power cord and a remote. I mean come on...

5. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    How does that math work? :confused:o_O

6. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I would have asked for an Edge. 2 of my Roamios got fried by lightning power surges, they made me a similar offer to replace both Roamio's with Bolts as they have no more Roamios.

As of yesterday I am now on my 6th Bolt in the last 12-13 months. First 2 lasted a few months. As replacements they actually sent me a new 1Tb Bolt as a replacement along with a 500gb refurb . The new one is still going, but the refurb only lasted 2 months before getting 4 flashing lights. The replacement Bolt that came Tuesday was dead on arrival. The replacement for that one came yesterday, it actually appears to be new and still in the shrink wrap even though it says its a refurb. Will see how long it lasts. My other 3 Roamios are still chugging along.

JoeKustra likes this.
  7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Read post 6. Read the Bolt forum.

8. The Singing Bush

Dec 26, 2014
    I'd have to pay Verizon $60 a month to rent the boxes, times 5 months is $300

9. The Singing Bush

Dec 26, 2014
    *tugs very nervously at collar*

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    And buy a UPS. Please.

Intheswamp and mrsean like this.
  11. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I'd at least try to put a new hard drive into your Roamio. It can easily go to 3TB which might be an "upgrade" for you. My Roamio is on a battery backup and a coax surge suppressor to protect it.

mrsean likes this.
  12. The Singing Bush

Dec 26, 2014
    Is a UPS an extended warranty? I was planning on that.

*edit*

Never mind, I googled it and I'll look into that as well.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  13. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    For $50/mo you can get YTTV.

14. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Many people on here consider Roamio -> Bolt a downgrade.

slowbiscuit, gigaquad and mrsean like this.
  15. The Singing Bush

Dec 26, 2014
    OK then it pays for itself in 6 months then? My current cable and internet is $74. If I drop TV it goes to $79.99.

krkaufman and JoeKustra like this.
  16. The Singing Bush

Dec 26, 2014
    Yeah, I'm starting to get that impression. Is that due to Hydra more than anything or more on reliability issues? I know people don't care for Hydra around here but I think it's fine.

FiOS is starting to air more stuff in 4K and that won't work with the Roamio, so it should be an upgrade from that standpoint.

17. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    well a $280 Bolt paying for itself in 6 months sounds like some dubious math. The $60/mo to rent Verizon sounds dubious as well.

I don't know prices everywhere but that's way higher than I've ever heard anybody quote monthly cable box rentals.

And to determine a savings from something like YTTV, one would need more info.

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That would certainly be a PRO for the BOLT. Mobile streaming, Gigabit Ethernet and built-in MoCA bridging may also be bonuses, assuming you’re talking about 4-tuner models for both series.

19. The Singing Bush

Dec 26, 2014
    OK, fair, I just looked it up and Verizon charges $30 for the DVR and $12 for each satellite per month. That's $42 a month, so it would be 7 months instead of 6. My mistake, the $40/20 is what they charged when I bought the TiVos because that's literally why I bought the TiVos.

Determining savings from YTTV, you don't need more info than I've already provided. My cable and internet is $74 using my current setup with TiVo. If I drop TV service, my bill increases to $79.99 for just internet service, and I will now be paying another $50 for YTTV.

krkaufman likes this.
  20. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    (1) Hydra (but, of course, it can be sidegraded back to TE3, for all Bolt boxes except the specifically-denominated Bolt OTA); (2) the use of 2.5" rather than 3.5" hard drives, the former of which sometimes seem less hardy (although many people have had no issue whatsoever); (3) some people, especially originally (I haven't heard much of this lately), have received boxes with noisier fans or fan connections; and (4) the Bolt box seems to run hotter, which can affect performance/longevity (and may have, for some people)--a reason why some people will use a cooling fan/pad for the Bolt box (I do, just as a precaution and because I also subbed in a 3TB hard drive and want to make things for the box as easy as possible). And then, of course, some people just don't like the white color or the bend (personally, I like 'em both, as a change).

pl1 likes this.