Roamio Curiosities

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by lillevig, Mar 20, 2021.

1. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa

Advertisements

Just picked up a Roamio OTA that hadn't connected to the mothership in two years (according to the network connections screen). When I first turned it on it came up to the TiVo Central (TE3) screen (still had old user stuff on it) but wouldn't respond to any remote commands (yellow light blinked but no response). Cycled power and then it worked fine. Went ahead and deleted current content and ran Guided Setup. Worked fine. Thought I would try to upgrade to TE4 because everything else I have is TE4 and I like the auto skip function. It went through the process but the download only took a couple of minutes instead of the expected "long time". When I went back to TiVo Central to try to do the recommended restart it stopped accepting remote commands again. Cycled power and it worked again but no update to TE4. Done this several times with the same results. Upgrading is not a necessity but I'm concerned about the symptoms. Maybe it needs an interim update before an upgrade can work since it was disconnected for two years? Current SW version is: 20.7.4.RC42-846-6-846.

2. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Ok, more weirdness. Just got a new VOX remote and BT dongle. Paired it with the Roamio (RF mode works fine). Pressed the blue microphone button and it took me directly to the TE Upgrade screen. From what I can find, the VOX should work with TE3.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    VOX voice functionality only works with TE4.

4. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Thanks. I thought I had seen some posts where people said it worked with TE3. Guess I was mistaken. All the more reason to figure out why it won't upgrade to TE4. Anyone know the current SW version for Roamio OTA TE3?

5. johnbrown44

johnbrown44 Member

May 10, 2015

Advertisements

My Roamio OTA 1TB is TE3 v 20.7.4d.RC13-846-6-846. It has been plugged in and active for a couple of months. Prior to that it was owned by someone else & not used for ~10 mos.

lillevig likes this.
  6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    TE3 is the software version of v20.7.x.
    TE4 is v21.x AKA Hydra.

lillevig likes this.
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    lillevig and johnbrown44 like this.
  8. johnbrown44

johnbrown44 Member

May 10, 2015
    My Roamio went from a,i,a,a to a,a,a,a thu. Must have had something to do with the TE3 update. Don't think they updated Series3 software, did they? But mine went from i,i,i and no streaming to a,a,a and can stream again that day or the next. Was i,i,i for a couple months. Prior to that it did stream. But friend has 2 @ S3s and they are i,i,i no streaming.

Really surprised they are still updating older Tivos like the Roamio.

Wish there was a way to refuse updates not guide related. Seems they include it when the guide is updated? We blocked the CM DVR+ updates via blocking a url with our routers. But that was always separate from guide info downloads. Initially they were voluntary, but after so many refusals or days, it would load auto update.

REALLY not a fan of forced updates.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, they still do minor updates, my Roamio went from 20.7.4...RC8 to RC13 just a couple of days ago.

10. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Thanks to all for the version number info. I'll wait to see if my unit gets updated here in the next few days and then try the TE4 upgrade again.

krkaufman likes this.
  11. johnbrown44

johnbrown44 Member

May 10, 2015
    I meant I am surprised they still update the Roamio, I know they do, but don't know if they update Series3 HD Tivo units software. I haven't kept track of version numbers for that unit. Anyone know?

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, unless its a major update, like the time they changed from Gracenote to Rovi to keep it operational on the lifetime units.

johnbrown44 likes this.