Roamio Crashing--NOT the hard drive!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by HaeMaker, May 31, 2016.

1. HaeMaker

HaeMaker New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    ...well, it might be the hard drive, but I am hoping it isn't and that would be one hell of a coincidence (ran a S.M.A.R.T. test, it passed)...

I have a Roamio standard with lifetime. I used the bless and expand method to at a 5TB drive. The Roamio is connected via Ethernet to my home network, I have a lifetime TiVo Mini connected via MoCA.

It has run flawlessly for about a year.

I swapped out my DSL for DOCSIS 3 using an Arris SB6183. I put a splitter on the cable that runs to the Roamio and connected the Arris to one leg, and the Roamio to the other.

Now, whenever I turn off the TV connected to the Roamio, it reboots.

Steps I have taken to try to fix it:

• Switched around ports on the splitter
    • Swapped the Arris and TiVo from 7Db and 3.5Db ports
    • Added a MoCA filter coming into the house
    • Switch MoCA settings from DHCP to Static
    • Turning off a set channel for MoCA, setting it to "Auto"
    • Turning off MoCA encryption
    • Fixing the grounding wire on my cable MPOE (long story)
    • Switched HDMI inputs on TV / Replaced HDMI Cable

My gut says it is some kind of ground potential difference that kicks in when I turn the TV off. The TV, Roamio, and cable modem are plugged into the same power strip so that should have a common ground. I wonder also if the ground on the cable shielding is causing this? Perhaps the Arris changed how ground works and TiVo doesn't like it.

Anything else I should try? I really, really don't want to swap the hard drive.

2. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Have you checked to see if HDMI-CEC/Control was turned on accidentally in your TV? If it is, try disabling it.

3. HaeMaker

HaeMaker New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Thanks, I will try turning that off. I didn't change any settings on the TV when I switched internet, so the timing would be very strange.

4. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    Handshake issue. Try the Roamio directly connected with no splitters.

5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You base your comment that the disk is good on the smart test? That test is easily passed depending on how the drive is failing.

6. HaeMaker

HaeMaker New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Thanks for everyone's help.

Looks like HDMI-CEC might have been it, and I think I figured out the timing. I started using my Nexus Player again with the new internet to get full Google Cast (since TiVo's cast support is very limited). Since Nexus Player makes use of HDMI-CEC, I guess it triggered the bug.

I'm kicking myself because I saw the thread on that, but it said HDMI-CC. As a long time TiVo user, I vaguely heard of HDMI control, but didn't know what it was called. I thought... "Okay, I'll turn off closed captioning, don't see how that will make a difference, but whatever." Dumb.

TiVo should add HDMI-CEC and full Google Cast support to the list of things...they will probably never get added now that they have been bought out.

:(