Roamio & coax splitter - what do you use?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by marklyn, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Dec 6, 2016 #1 of 20
    marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin

Advertisements

I've tried to move over to MOCA today but kept running into problems.
    I got the Roamio set up on MOCA but the moca link status kept showing "down" and the mini's would never connect.
    I have two mini's and they would only work when I used a two way splitter that was 5-1002mhz, but the problem is I need a 3 way splitter.
    I had several 3 way splitters, 5-2040Mhz, 5-2400Mhz but when I connected them I could never get a moca connection from the mini's and the moca link status was "down". When I hooked the two way 1002mhz splitter back up to one of the mini's, it works!?!
    I was under the impression that 5-2040 and 5-2400mhz splitters work but obviously the two I tried didn't, so I'd like to know what you guys are using if you have a 3 way splitter and where did you buy it from. Details would be appreciated as I will need them to search and make a purchase or try my local electronics store.

2. Dec 6, 2016 #2 of 20
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
  3. Dec 6, 2016 #3 of 20
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The Holland MoCA 2.0-rated GHS-PRO-M splitters linked by fcfc2, except using a slightly different search to exclude those 2 "MSAT" models labeled as being for DirecTV, whose MoCA tech operates at a different incompatible frequency band than TiVo's MoCA gear.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  4. Dec 6, 2016 #4 of 20
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That said, if you're having issues switching-out splitters, it may highlight some other issue with your coax plant that is making it seemingly MoCA-hostile. Short of throwing together a diagram of your coax plant (which I *do* recommend; e.g.), some feedback on the following would be helpful...

How are you creating your MoCA network? (From your description, it appears you may be using a Roamio Pro(?) to create your MoCA network, but I want to make sure.)

What is your Roamio reporting for MoCA stats both when the Mini is connecting (via 2-way) and not (when connected with one of the 3-ways)? See this post for deets on checking MoCA stats.

How do all the coax runs to your separate rooms come together? What is the brand and model number of this "distribution" or "drop" splitter? And is there a MoCA filter installed on its input?

5. Dec 6, 2016 #5 of 20
    marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin

Advertisements

Yes, I'm using the Roamio plus to create the moca network.
    The Roamio doesn't have any stats that I can see, or noticed, since the view network screen says moca status: "down".
    I've attached a hand drawn diagram of two configurations I've tried. The second one works but the splitter is to small, that's why I'm asking about splitter specifics so I can hopefully find a brand that someone is using that works in the same scenario.
    I'm actually hoping someone will respond with something they're using that works rather than replying what "should" work. I've already tried a couple of splitters that, based on what I read, "should" work but they're not.

Attached Files:

6. Dec 6, 2016 #6 of 20
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, I figured that 2nd part of the request was pointless, since the stats likely wouldn't be accessible when there wasn't a connection; I was more interested in the stats when the Mini *could* connect.

That said, the drastic difference between your above/below configs in the diagram would have rendered moot the comparison I had in mind.

7. Dec 6, 2016 #7 of 20
    marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    I've had my Roamio and Mini's since they came out. When they work, life is great and nothing competes.
    Over the past 3 years I've been on the phone with TWC/Tivo and had new cabeling, new splitters (moca compliant supposedly), everything redone.
    It just seems like about twice a year I start having problems where the mini's can't talk to the Roamio, that is why I wanted to try moca.
    Arggh if I can't get moca working I'm about ready to sell everything and go back to TWC's cable boxes.

8. Dec 6, 2016 #8 of 20
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Splitter recommendations have been made and seconded. Not really sure what more you need on that particular front at this point. I don't have a YouTube personal testimonial to which I can link. And you can search TCF as effectively as I can for related threads and posts.

As for your diagram... I can't vouch for the MoCA compatibility of that amp so isolating the MoCA network off just one output of the amp isn't a bad idea, so long as you can get all your MoCA devices hung off that port -- where you're obviously running into issues on the splitter output front.

Note that since only the Roamio needs access to the signal from the cable provider, you'll want to continue using a 2-way splitter as depicted to ensure the Roamio receives the strongest signal possible (for that configuration). The 2-way would ideally be upgraded to a recommended model, with the MoCA filter on its input, connecting one output to the Roamio and the other output to a "MoCA clients" splitter (also as recommended), with as many outputs as you have MoCA clients.

The other option would be to replace the amp with a designed-for-MoCA amp. Similar to what you've done in the lower diagram, the amp models designed for MoCA have a built-in MoCA filter on the downstream side of the amp, to reflect the MoCA signals before they reach the amp circuitry -- with the added tweak that the "MoCA bypass" models also provide a path between the unamplified modem/voice output port and the amplified outputs.

9. Dec 6, 2016 #9 of 20
    marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    That sounded snarky, maybe I deserve it, don't think so.
    I have searched and searched and searched but so far haven't seen a post which answers what the poster has or the posts are really old.
    I'm just asking for personal experience for a 4 dollar device that someone says "works for me" and here is the make/model. When people post what 'should' work, it just means they did the same thing I did, searched and found something that "should" work.
    I will look into the amp but I did see on another post where someone had the exact same amp but it worked, so I'm still chewing on that.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Note that fcfc2, in a post here, states that your PPC amp is MoCA compliant, which increases the mystery as to why your upper diagram wouldn't work.

Understanding that it's not where you want to end-up, I'd be interested in your results were you to reconfigure per the upper diagram -- but for just one Mini connected (rather than using a 2-way to connect them both).

11. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    I am planning on doing that tomorrow morning and will post results but I think I tried that initially and it didn't work. Don't remember now, have tried several things and now I'm jotting down notes.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This is the question that was asked, and answered. Nowhere in my post did I state a hypothetical "should" -- though "should" is always implied, since manufacturing defects can occur.

So, here: I have bought Holland GHS-PRO-M MoCA 2.0-rated splitters in a few different varieties from TechToolSupply.com, and though I can't say off the top of my head that I am definitely using one of the 2 3-way models, at present, I am using a few of the 2-way and 4-way splitters successfully in an active MoCA environment, with the MoCA-connected devices in that setup not reporting any issues of which I am aware.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm going to try to find the specs on that amp, but if it is as fcfc2 stated, a Roamio Pro on one output should be able to talk to a Mini on another, and if not... I have to wonder about the Roamio Pro's MoCA circuit or the amp's MoCA compatibility.

14. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    I'm going to a couple of electronic stores tomorrow and will see what they have in 3 way. I've read postive things about the hollands but will probably only see them online, not local.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd expect the same... though if you see any it may well be the "MSAT" models designed for DirecTV's MoCA, which you'll want to stay very far away from.

I do recommend getting familiar with the process for checking MoCA stats, both on the Roamio and Minis, and what figures are of interest, in order to have a tool to judge relative improvement/degradation of your setup as you make tweaks. TX/RX PHY rates and TX/RX power estimates for each node are key, along with keeping an index card associating the MoCA MAC/HW addresses reported in the stats with your specific MoCA-connected TiVo devices.

16. Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    You really don't need anything fancy just go to home depot and get a three way splitter for cable television. It will have 5Mhz to 1000Mhz (1Ghz). I think they are made by Ideal. You also can buy the same in a 4 way and purchase a termination cap for coax cable to put on the one unused leg. The caps should be there with the rest of the cable TV hardware. Do not get the ones made for satellite TV, which is what you tried already.
    I am wondering why there is an amp as you don't have that many splits to need one. If the signal coming into your home is low then TWC will have to come out and fix it. You can buy a 4 way splitter at Home depot and eliminate the amp if you can . Run one leg to the cable modem, one leg to the 2 way you have now then that will go to your Roamio and TA. The other two legs will go to each of the minis.

marklyn likes this.
  17. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    I had moca when I first got my Roamio but changed over when I started having internet issues (on the computer). After a lengthy back and forth between Tivo and TWC I finally just decided to move to ethernet for the Tivos but my internet issue didn't go away. So months later after all new cabling and connectors and splitters my internet has been extremely stable. It's only now that I'm seeing more and more of the "can't connect to Tivo" messages on my minis that I wanted to try to go to moca to see if I could eliminate that issue. sorry, rambling... my point is that I do recall how to look at the moca tx/rx stats, etc., once/if I get this working. :)

18. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    The amp was one of the last resorts when I was having chronic internet issues and they tried it. The internet issues were finally resolved via another means but they told me to go ahead and keep the amp since there was no charge and it wouldn't hurt. I like the idea of trying for a non-amp splitter and didn't think of HD. Thanks!

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    On the Ethernet side, if your Minis are having connectivity issues in an all-Ethernet setup (they shouldn't!), some people have found that disabling the "IGMP Snooping" or "IGMP Proxy" setting in their switches and/or router was successful in eliminating connection errors. (see)

p.s. Jed1's suggestion to simply try some locally-sourced and easily returned splitters makes bigly sense; as does questioning whether an amp is actually needed. I can understand the hesitance at opening that door given what you say you've been through.

20. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    I already had the IGMP proxy disabled... I recall finding a similar discussion about that as a possibility. What frustrates me so much is that this setup can/has worked flawlessly for months, with no changes on my end at all and then all of a sudden I go through one of these spells. If I can get over to moca I hope this "can't connect..." issue will go away.