Roamio Chopping Recordings/Not Recording/Freezing

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by GomeRyan, May 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GomeRyan

GomeRyan Member

May 15, 2017
    I've had various TiVo boxes for a long time (about 12 years). In 2015 my current one crashed. I was bummed, but mine all seem to last about 5 years, so I was expecting it. I decided to get a Roamio. I bought one with lifetime service and a Mini for the other room. It came to about $800. I used the exact same cables, cable card and tuning adapter I had for my old TiVo. Since then, Cox has given me a new cable card and tuning adapter to try and address my problem.

I didn't have problems initially, but then it started freezing. When I say freezing, I would push play on a recorded show, and the screen would go black. It would make the TiVo button sound for certain buttons, but not others. For instance, the TiVo or Channel Up buttons would make a sound, but not Channel down. And that was very consistent. But even the buttons that were making sounds wouldn't do anything. I would also get problems with only recording about 2-3 minutes of a show. When I look in the history, it says it didn't record because it was a duplicate. The only fix I could find was to unplug the Roamio. That would work...until the next time I had the problem.

Cox has been out three times, and they insist that the signal is well within the normal parameters. Cox has been fairly pleasant and always willing to send someone out, but they don't seem very motivated to fix what they see as a TiVo problem.

I'm a huge fan of TiVo, but I've never had to deal with technical support until now, and it is TERRIBLE. At this point I've spent over 24 hours with TiVo technical support. Basically, their answer is always that it's Cox's fault, or that I need to put splitters on the signal because it's too high. At one point, I had five splitters on the cable coming in, but still had the same problem, but with the added joy of recordings being pixelated or glitchy. I've been dealing with this problem for over a year and they are rude and not interested in fixing it at all. Literally, the only thing that changed was the TiVo box, and they can't fathom that it's the Roamio that is the problem.

The big problem is that these issues don't show up immediately. I've had four different Roamio boxes and the problems don't show up for a couple of months. And then they start getting more frequent. it will freeze/not record once a month, then every other week, then it gets to where it's doing it every day. It's been the same pattern with each box and now, on my fourth box, it's either recording 2 minutes or nothing at all of most of my shows. Thankfully, I can use Cox on Demand or the internet so I don't miss anything, but what's the point of having a TiVo?

After many hours of dealing with TiVo technical support, I tried dealing with TiVo customer support, which is even worse. I suggested returning the Roamio and paying whatever the difference would be to go to a Bolt, to see if that would fix the problem. Unfortunately, because the problem didn't occur within a month of my purchase, "There's nothing we can do." I can keep the Roamio, but if I want a Bolt, I have to pay full price. So, for another $1,000, I can keep my Roamio with lifetime service that only records 2 minutes of a show, if that, and have a Bolt with lifetime service, that might work, but also might work just long enough for me not to be able to return it.

I've been all over the internet and spent countless hours with technical support. I don't believe I will ever be able to fix the problem with the Roamio. So, my question is, does anyone think the Bolt will have the same problem? Should I just sell the Roamio and settle for Cox's inferior Countour? Should I give Bolt a try and return it within a month?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I sad that their support has fallen so far. But as for help, this is a better place. Could you:
    restart the box (model of Roamio?)
    post the signal % and SNR of a channel, checking that all are the same

If you own your cable modem, can you check its signal level and SNR also? It's nice to get a second opinion. Note that a basic Roamio or Bolt does not count RS Corrected errors. I hope your RS Uncorrected are always zero.

It might help if you would add your location to your profile. There may be someone close with Cox experience.

3. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Sometimes with intermittent hard drive failures it can behave the way you describe. Are you able to remove the drive and run diagnostics on a PC? as long as you disconnect the tivo from the network and put the same drive back, it shouldn't result in any events tivo would recognize.

4. GomeRyan

GomeRyan Member

May 15, 2017
    Thanks for the quick replies.

It's a TiVo Series 5 Roamio Plus.

I usually have to unplug it, but I restarted it from the menu, and these are the values after restarting:

Tuner 0
    100%
    41 dB

Tuner 1
    100%
    42 dB

Tuner 2
    100%
    41 dB

Tuner 3
    100%
    41 dB

Tuner 4
    100%
    41 dB

Tuner 5
    100%
    41 dB

I have an Arris SURFboard modem and a Netgear Nighthawk router. I've attached what I could get from the modem. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

I am in South San Diego.

I don't know that I am tech savvy enough to remove the hard drive and run diagnostics. I've had four different Roamios, all with the same exact problem, though, if that helps. Because my cable hasn't changed, and it all worked with my earlier version TiVo, and I've had the same problem with different Roamios, it makes me think that there is just something about the Roamio software or setup itself that isn't compatible with something in my system.

Attached Files:

5. steneni

steneni Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Virginia, USA
    You said you also purchased a mini, is the mini also affected when the primary Roamio box starts to go bad? How is everything connected? I wonder if you have some sort of network loop and/or Moca type issues??

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Your SNR is higher than normal, but that's not a bad thing. If I was to change something, I would add some attenuation to get the signal % down to 90. At 100%, you may be overloading the tuners. This would result in a picture breaking up. A variable attenuator or a 1 to 4 splitter could be used on the input of the TiVo.

7. GomeRyan

GomeRyan Member

May 15, 2017
    I do have Moca set up. And now that I think of it, I didn't have Moca until I got the Roamio. I have that little box they send attached to my modem. When the Roamio freezes, I can usually still "use" the Mini, but it's pretty useless because it can't find the Roamio and can't tune to any stations.

8. GomeRyan

GomeRyan Member

May 15, 2017
    I've tried just about every combination of splitters I can think of. I've used the 1 to 4 and various combinations of 1 to 3, 1 to 2. At one point, I had so many splitters that I could barely get a channel to tune in. I'm not sure what a variable attenuator is. Is that a fancy name for a splitter, or is it something else?

9. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Would not hurt to (swap) replace the power supply.
    They can be had for a good price on eBay

10. GomeRyan

GomeRyan Member

May 15, 2017
    Are you talking about the internal power supply? I've since replaced the plug, just to try something. But if it was the power supply, I don't think I would have had the same problem with four different boxes?

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    An attenuator is just a dedicated part to reduce the signal level. Some are manually variable. But you have seemed to use splitters to drop the signal already. Since the signal can not display higher than 100%, you don't know what the real signal level is. Judging by your modem, it doesn't seem too high. There is another place to check the signal, which is more real time. It's in Settings, Channels, Signal Strength - Cable. It may jump higher then drop down. Sorry I can't help more.

12. GomeRyan

GomeRyan Member

May 15, 2017
    I'll check that when I get home. And no problem. Thanks for the advice.

13. GomeRyan

GomeRyan Member

May 15, 2017
    Under signal strength, it says "Signal strength is unavailable because your cable channel lineup has no digital channels."

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  14. GomeRyan

GomeRyan Member

May 15, 2017
    It hadn't occurred to me until I posted this, that although I used the exact same cables and everything, I did add Moca to the equation. So I unplugged the cable from the little Moca box and plugged it directly in to my modem. Then I re-setup the network on the Roamio to make the Roamio a Moca network using my wireless router. I still had the same problem. It recorded the first 2 minutes of Prison Break tonight. Mostly, the problems are random. But it seems kind of odd that the last four weeks, it's only recorded 2 minutes of Prison Break. I don't know if that's just a coincidence, or if there is something happening at that time. I'm going to try rebooting the Roamio and see if that helps. If I have the same problem, I'll try setting up the network just using my wireless router and not Moca at all.

15. steneni

steneni Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Virginia, USA
    Don't know what this little Moca box is you talk about. I have Moca running on my setup (Roamio Pro as source Moca device, using Moca for a Elite XL4 and an older Premier 2 tuner box). For Moca to work correctly I believe your Roamio should also be hard wired to your router. If it isn't hook up the ethernet port to the router.

16. GomeRyan

GomeRyan Member

May 15, 2017
    When I first ordered the Roamio and Mini, they also added on a little box that looks kind of like a modem. You hook your cable and Ethernet to it and then run it through your modem and router. I was able to disconnect from that and setup the Roamio as the Moca. It seemed to work, as far as still being able to connect to the network. But maybe I need to just set it up using the wireless option and bypass Moca all together. I'll try some different combinations and see if that fixes anything.

17. GomeRyan

GomeRyan Member

May 15, 2017
    UPDATE
    So it's been a week since I unplugged the Moca box and went direct to my modem. I've had no problems and it actually recorded all of Prison Break last night for the first time in a month. So that's pretty awesome...except that it seems like a problem TiVo should have at least thought of in the many hours I was on the phone with technical support.

Unfortunately, now my Mini in the other room doesn't work, because Moca is no longer set up and my router isn't close enough to plug it in directly. But I use my Roamio every day, and the Mini occasionaly, so I'd much rather have the Roamio working.

18. GomeRyan

GomeRyan Member

May 15, 2017
    One more update. It's been three weeks now and I've had no problems. So it seems clear that Moca was the problem. One other thing, for anyone with a similar problem, is how it affected my computer. Before I unplugged the Moca thing, my computer was constantly disconnecting from the router. It would disconnect and reconnect to my server. My Amazon Echo was constantly saying, "Now connected to..." my computer. Just a ton of problems. I thought I was having tiny, constant disconnects from the internet. ince I disconnected the Moca box, I haven't had a single problem with my computer.

steneni likes this.