Roamio boots to Welcome... starting up! and then four flashing lights - repairable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by redbeard25, Nov 20, 2018.

1. redbeard25

redbeard25 Member

Jan 15, 2002
    I have been googling and searching Tivo Community for a while this morning and have seen conflicting reports. I have a 4 year-old lifetime (or "all in..." whatever!) 4-tuner cable Roamio with a dropped-in 3TB drive. While watching a time-shifted show this morning, the following happened:

Symptoms:
    • Boots up to the "Welcome... starting up!" screen.
    • After about five minutes, all four lights on the front of the Tivo start flashing rapidly.
    Here's what I've done so far:
    1. Left unplugged for 15 minutes. Plugged in. Same results.
    2. Swapped out the wall wart from a Tivo mini. Same results.
    3. Pulled the hard drive and dropped in a blank 640GB drive I had laying around. Same results.
    At this point, I'm looking for advice. I have seen people with the "flashing lights of death," but I've not seen anyone who got to the "Welcome... starting up" screen. Everyone else seems to have no picture at all.

Has anyone gotten to the boot-up screen and had the four flashing front lights? Is this something that can be repaired?

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Hydra/Mira (TE4) or Encore (TE3)?

3. redbeard25

redbeard25 Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Hydra.

4. redbeard25

redbeard25 Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Further details - I found a 2.5” 500GB drive laying around and got it to boot. However, it got stuck in the middle of guided setup with an S308 error. I then tried:
    • Connected to Ethernet
    • Connected to WiFi
    • Connected to phone hotspot
    All with no help. It makes me think four flashing lights is “I can’t find a hard drive that I know what to do with.”

5. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I would hook the 3TB drive up to a PC and run the manufacturer's diagnostics on it. Four flashing lights usually indicates a drive failure, but that's the only way you can know for sure.

6. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I've seen that before. My experience may be different but it ended up being the power supply/AC adapter. You mention you used a Mini AC to test, DO NOT DO THAT. A mini AC adapter does not have enough amperage to boot the drive, the Roamio will start up but will freeze as not enough power to boot the drive, ends up with the flashing lights, never even gets to "a few minutes more". AND it can damage the drive, drive is trying to boot, not enough power, so you get sector errors etc. I would try another AC adapter with the same voltage and AT LEAST as much amperage as the Roamio AC (2000ma?). Since you have other drives testing should not be TOO difficult. Since there was a problem and maybe more if tried to boot with Mini adapter maybe scan the drives for errors on your computer, might be some pending sector problems or bad sector problems.

7. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Do be careful when swapping adapters. The voltage needs to be the same as the original. The amperage should be at least as much as the original (more should be ok as it will only draw what it needs). AND polarity needs to be the same, as far as I know..............

8. Jan 2, 2019 #8 of 30
    Tom Edwards

Tom Edwards New Member

Dec 11, 2016
    My Roamio Plus was working great until a few days ago. My unit has a direct plug (no wall wort). When I plug it in, it starts to "crank." In a little while the yellow light blinks for about 15 seconds, then nothing. The cranking continues for about a minute and then goes silent.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

9. Jan 2, 2019 #9 of 30
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    What do you mean by "crank"? Is the hard drive making a noise (normally they are pretty quiet) so the suspicion would be a hard drive failure?

Scott

10. Tom Edwards

Tom Edwards New Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Thanks for your question, Scott.
    The sound is more like an old desktop computer starting.
    BTW, there is NO action on the TV screen.

11. peakay

peakay Member

Apr 7, 2002
  12. Tom Edwards

Tom Edwards New Member

Dec 11, 2016
    One of the Tivo Kickstart codes worked for me (see TiVo Kickstart Codes and Information)
    I used #54 (hard drive test), and it is probably what you should use first.
    NOTE: If you have not upgraded to the latest software, do not use any of the "software" codes. I hate the latest software, and I have seen posts asking if users can revert to earlier versions.
    Like Classic Coke, older is sometimes better.
    Good luck

13. timhbtr53

timhbtr53 Grumpy Old Man

Apr 24, 2014
    In the Deep...
    I just had the same problem it's the power supply. I opened it up my hard drive would power up for about 5 secs then shut down i opened the tivo up and pulled the HDD teed it on my laptop it works great so i got my tivo on my bench the power supply runs on the limit of 2.25 amps and it is dropping the voltage from 12 VDC to as low as 4.3 VDC "trash" so i found a 3 amp supply and it's happy so i'm happy....

HerronScott likes this.
  14. cherb

cherb New Member

Oct 15, 2010
    I had this exact set of symptoms on a TiVo Roamio and after much troubleshooting it ended up being a faulty DC power adapter.
    Symptoms:
    • Found the TiVo Roamio in a state with all lights flashing and a strange beeping noise
    • Roamio was at "Starting Up" screen
    • Unplugging and replugging Roamio, I could hear the hard drive start to spin up, then the "beeping" would start
    • After around 30 seconds all the lights would start to flash (assuming a timeout threshold was reached)
    Troublshooting info:
    • Upon investigation found that the "beeping" noise was coming from the hard drive (8TB Seagate) and sounded like the heads were stuck (assumed the drive was dead)
    • Put this drive in my PC and it was recognized without issue (no noises); MFSR reported it as a TiVo drive and correctly showed the capacity
    • Putting another Seagate drive in the Roamio yielded the same result with a slightly different sound
    • Putting in my previous 3TB WD drive yielded a different result: the drive would start to spin up for a second, then spin down for a second and would repeat this pattern every second
    Solution:
    • The Roamio uses a 2.0 Amp power adapter, you need to get a replacement 2.0 Amp adapter.
    • My TiVo Mini uses a 1.0 Amp adapter which yielded the same issue (Roamio would power on, but the drive wasn't getting enough power).
    • I also tried a 1.5 Amp adapter I had for a NetGear switch and it also yielded the same result.
    • Please note, my power adapter wasn't completely failed. I tested and confirmed the output voltage was still 12V. It was just no longer able to supply the required amperage.

oscarfish and jth tv like this.
  15. Redhaze737

Redhaze737 New Member

Sep 30, 2006
    I have a 4 tuner Roamio stuck in restart. The screen is flashing green with "TIVO Welcome Starting Up". I have a MOV video, but seem to be challenged this morning on how to convert to a format acceptable to upload. The lights on the front of the Tivo are flashing. The left Green light is flashing slowly every couple of seconds and the Red and Blue lights on the right are flashing every few seconds with a quick flash.

I recently changed the hard drive and have had no issues. Anyone ever seen this green screen. I've had Tivos for many years and many models and have never seen. Suggestions?

16. Redhaze737

Redhaze737 New Member

Sep 30, 2006
    Please tell me what format is needed to upload a video file

17. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Just upload your video to YouTube and post a link in this thread...if you're really sure that video is necessary.

Usually the four flashing lights indicates that your Hard Drive has failed.

-KP

18. Redhaze737

Redhaze737 New Member

Sep 30, 2006
    Thank you, there are only 3 blinking lights. One on the left and 2 on the right.

The drive is only 2 months old, but I guess it could be bad. 3TB WD

I have a new 3TB WD drive sitting waiting for my Bolt drive to fail. I'll install it over the weekend and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks again.

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 9:33 PM
  19. Redhaze737

Redhaze737 New Member

Sep 30, 2006
    X
    ADCHOICES IDENTIFIED
    IMG_1153.gif

Attached Files:

20. Redhaze737

Redhaze737 New Member

Sep 30, 2006
    Just installed the new drive, plugged in the Tivo and getting the same flashing lights on the front as well as the Welcome Restarting green screen. Hmmmmm...as I remember, and I have a terrible memory, you just need to install the drive plug it in and it installs itself? What am I missing?