Roamio Black Screen in Recorded Program Playback

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Redhaze737, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Redhaze737

Redhaze737 New Member

Sep 30, 2006

Advertisements

Less than 1 year old 4 tuner Roamio with an external drive.

Lately I have been experiencing an intermittent black screen with no audio while watching a recorded program. It happens maybe once a night over a 3 hour period, seems to be random and not any specific recorded programs. After approximately 30 seconds the video and audio come back, but in Live TV. I can then go back to my recorded program with no further issues. I can Rewind and watch the same footage without any issues.

Any idea what causes this? Or what I can do about it.

2. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    My tivo does that to. It has me worried. And everyone he thinks it's the TV or something but it has to be the tivo.

I reboot my tivo roamio when this happens.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

3. Redhaze737

Redhaze737 New Member

Sep 30, 2006
    Yes, I've tried rebooting, but that does not seem to make any difference.

4. Redhaze737

Redhaze737 New Member

Sep 30, 2006
    I contacted TIVO support and this was their reply:

The playback complications you have received is likely an indication that some of your programming is receiving interference through your incoming signal. To identify this, tune to a channel that is currently coming in on Live TV. Once done go to TiVo Central > Messages and Settings > Account and System Information > DVR Diagnostics. In this menu locate the following signal values for both tuners on your TiVo box:

Signal Strength:
    SNR:
    RS Corrected:
    RS Uncorrected:

I gave them the info, which looks normal: 92, 37 (maybe a little high?), 0, 0. I have heard nothing further.

5. Redhaze737

Redhaze737 New Member

Sep 30, 2006

Advertisements

Tivo support thinks that the SNR of 37 may be causing pixelation which is my problem. I have asked them how pixelation can cause a recorded program to cause the Tivo to go to black screen and then when I go back to the recorded program the portion that previously caused the black screen plays normally with not noise in the video.

I'm not understanding how a Live TV feed problem - if there is one - can cause the Tivo to go to black screen during a recorded program playback. I've had 6 different Tivo's from the first version and never seen this before.

6. pbug56

pbug56 Member

Jan 27, 2008
    We are having a problem like that. No audio or video in a recording currently being made, but on Live TV everything is normal. SNR and signal strength are just fine. It's just that the TIVO doesn't seem to want to record the show. Picture quality in my new FIOS service is perfect HD. We went to FIOS because Altice no longer works properly with TIVO's at least on Long Island. But this recording problem is not a good thing.