Roamio black screen after reloaction

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Palumbo, Jan 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Palumbo

Palumbo New Member

Apr 14, 2017

Advertisements

So I finally got everything working after switching to a new provider (cox w/ tuning adapter). I ran for a week or so with cables everywhere, and decided it was time to clean up. Yesterday I pulled power to the Roamio while it was running, and then reinstalled everything back in the cabinet... but now I get black screen after startup.

It boots like normal with old startup screen and then new (running latest SW) but then instead of bringing up the menu I get a blank screen. Mini is still able to play recordings, so it seems to be running but no screen...

I've tried all of the Kickstart codes by now I think... this happened before when I first upgraded to new SW, and #56 did the trick. Now I'm able to pull up GSOD. It gave me "updating" message at one point... but always same result!

Any idea what's going on here??

2. Palumbo

Palumbo New Member

Apr 14, 2017
    Took it out of it's new home and it is happy again... but it back in and we are still OK. Keep you fingers crossed for me on the 3rd...

HerronScott likes this.
  3. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    Maybe it's in Standby? Or power saving mode? Or 1080P (or 480i) mode and your TV can't handle that video mode?

4. Palumbo

Palumbo New Member

Apr 14, 2017
    Was thinking something similar... I think maybe HDMI was not fully plugged in (even though I reconnected) and it would transmit the 480 splash screen but not the HD menu??

One thing I've learned with Tivo... once it's working, don't touch it!

5. Steve-O

Steve-O Member

Jul 1, 2011

Advertisements

I recently bought a Roamio Plus refurb and immediately replaced the HDD with a WD Red 3 TB. After all the formatting, guided setup, etc., after final restart, the screen would go black right at the moment I expected to see a menu. I put the original 1 TB drive back in and no problem. Erased the 3 TB drive and went through all the setup stuff again, and again, black screen at the end. Then I bought a WD Red 4 TB drive and put that in and -- yadda yadda yadda -- it works.

6. Palumbo

Palumbo New Member

Apr 14, 2017
    Now that's strange... i think this is all related the DRM HDMI registration or whatever it's called. HD signal is not displayed because Tivo can't see the registered device on the other end.

Someone mentioned it here:
    Tivo not outputting signal through HDMI