1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio, audio dropout

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by RodMcC, Sep 13, 2018.

1. RodMcC

RodMcC New Member

Sep 9, 2018
    This is my second Roamio. The first Roamio lasted about a month before crashing. Called tech support, and returned unit. I've had the second Roamio in my system for about 2 month. But from the beginning, it had audio dropouts that make it virtually unusable. Fortunately, I didn't return my Comcast STB, which works fine. I also use a Roku for streaming. BTW, I've never had a problem with Roku. They make good stuff.

Here's the basics:
    Roamio Pro with Comcast cable card.
    HDMI output to Marantz receiver. I've replaced the HDMI cable. No change.
    Roamio software version:21.8.2.RC1-840-6-840
    The dropouts are random. But typically occur every 3 to 5 minutes.

I also have a Mini, and it works fine. So I'm guessing that eliminates the tuner and cable card as possible causes. I think it's the HDMI hardware or software in the Roamio that's at fault. Tech support wants to blame Comcast signal strength, but the Mini and the Comcast STB work fine.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Rod

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It sounds like a bad Roamio. Try (harder) to get a new one. Find Diagnostics. Each tuner has Signal Strength %, SNR and RS Uncorrected errors. for a basic Roamio the ideal numbers are 90%, 36dB and 0 respectively.

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Can you try the HDMI directly to the TV at least for testing purposes to see if you get the same dropouts there?

Scott

4. RodMcC

RodMcC New Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Thanks Joe, I'll check out diagnostics and lean on Tivo for a replacement Roamio.

Would you recommend getting a Bolt?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  5. RodMcC

RodMcC New Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Thanks Scott. Unfortunately, my TV (Pioneer plasma) is a monitor. So no audio. Also, I've got a Roku and Comcast STB coming into the Marantz receiver via HDMI, and have never had a problem. I think Joe has it right. I've got a bad Roamio.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have four Roamio units. I would not recommend something I have never used.