Roamio and OTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Bkemlein, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Nov 9, 2019 #1 of 11
    Bkemlein

Bkemlein New Member

Nov 9, 2019
    I am trying to connect my 2015 Roamio to an OTA antenna....knowing nothing technical about any of this and am just stumped. TIVO “help” (?) said to remove the cable card (Comcast), connect via WiFi vs Ethernet, connect TV to antenna, antenna to TIVO. Then run the channel set-up on TIVO and the TV, both completed. The Antenna picks up a group of stations starting with 25 to 33, none of which are the main networks (ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox31 or RMPBS). It doesn’t seem to matter where the antenna is located...high, low, on the TV, nothing changes. NBC came in for a bit but I had not removed the Cablecard yet (I am assuming it does something even with Comcast no longer my provider?). My TV identifies TIVO as Armstrong...is that the issue? Is it the antenna? The same type of antenna works perfectly in the other rooms where TIVO is not connected. Any ideas here?

2. Nov 9, 2019 #2 of 11
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Works in other rooms is no guarantee. Location is everything with antennas.

Cable card isn't hurting anything by leaving it in.

I don't understand why you connected the antenna to both your TV and the Tivo. It only needs to be connected to the Tivo. Removing that unnecessary split may give you the improvement you need.

Otherwise, could you possibly move the Tivo to one of those other rooms and use a Mini in your main room?

3. Nov 9, 2019 #3 of 11
    dobbie1

dobbie1 Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    My setup for my Roamio is: antenna to TiVO input, TiVO output to TiVO. I am not looking at the setup, but I thought Roamio was an either or not both on cable card or antenna. If that is the case then you would need to remove the cable card and hookup antenna and do a rescan of channels. Hope I haven't confused the issue.

4. Nov 9, 2019 #4 of 11
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You need to re-run Guided Setup.

It's in Help.

I think you have to pull the CableCard in order to select OTA. Maybe not.

Are you on TE3 or TE4? Post your System Version here, if you don't know.

TiVo's have been known to be fussy about Signal Strength/Quality.

-KP

5. Nov 9, 2019 #5 of 11
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I’ve switched from cable to antenna and back a couple of times and never removed my card. I suppose the software could have changed since then.

dlfl and kpeters59 like this.
  6. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    THIS^^

kpeters59 likes this.
  7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You have me confused. My Roamio has no output that could be a TiVo input.

8. ramiss

ramiss Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Put the antenna outside and then play with the location and rotation

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

9. dobbie1

dobbie1 Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    On the back of your Roamio you have a coaxial cable input, this is for either cable tv or your antenna. If your antenna connection does not have coaxial cable connector then you would need an adapter. The TiVo output would be your HDMI cable to the TV. Hope this helps.

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    nope

11. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I am sorry, but virtually NOTHING in your posts make any sense at all.

FIRST, you need to make sure your Roamio is capable of even receiving OTA channels (some models are cable ONLY). Tell us what model of Roamio you have and we can provide better help.
    Second, you do NOT need or want to change from wired Ethernet connection to WiFi - it makes NO difference for channel reception.

If your box is capable of OTA reception, changing from cable to OTA is VERY simple - you do nothing more than remove the cable coax and connect an antenna to the same place, then re-run Guided Setup, where you specify that your are using an antenna for signal source.

If you are using MoCA for communication to other TiVo boxes in your house, the cable connections could be more complicated, but that would have nothing at all to do with just setting up the Roamio to receive OTA channels.

There is nothing wrong with having your antenna connected to BOTH your TV and your TiVo through a splitter, but it is NOT needed. I do choose to have the antenna connected to each of my TVs in parallel with my TiVos simply because it makes troubleshooting signal problems and TiVo lineup errors very simple when I can just swap back and forth.

Removing the cable card is fine, and I certainly would do that too, but technically, it should work fine either way. Running Guided Setup is where you tell the box which channel line-up to use.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    kpeters59 likes this.