Roamio and New Smart Tvs

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by foyman, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Apr 5, 2018 #1 of 43
    foyman

foyman New Member

Feb 2, 2018

Advertisements

In January I bought a new "smart tv" (LG OLED65E7P). Well, my Tivo Roamio that I've had for several years wouldn't work with it. I called Tivo and was told my Roamio (which has a lifetime subscription) was not compatible with the new smart tvs, but they would be working on a fix. Right, and I've got a pet unicorn. But I was offered a solution....I could buy a new Bolt with a lifetime service plan to match what I have now for $750. In the mean time my Roamio is off the air and useless to me.

Does anyone have a update on a "fix" or a solution to my problem? No way am I buying another Tivo product.

2. Apr 5, 2018 #2 of 43
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    What are the symptoms? What have you done to resolve?

I don't believe it for s second.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  3. Apr 5, 2018 #3 of 43
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Define what you mean incompatible to your new TV. Is the Tivo still working?
    It should not be a problem to connect it to the HDMI input.

A Tivo is its own DVR system that you connect separately to the cable or antenna, and view through the HDMI input of the TV.

Mikeguy and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  4. Apr 5, 2018 #4 of 43
    PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Yeah this sounds fishy to me, how is the TiVo hooked up to the TV, via HDMI? If so try another cable to rule out a broken one. And of course make sure your TV input is set to whatever number input the TiVo is plugged into. Newer TVs can have as many as 4 HDMI ports and its not always easy to see the number in the back of the TV when plugging it in.

5. Apr 5, 2018 #5 of 43
    phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...

Advertisements

That TV has 4 HDMI inputs, try a different input.

6. Apr 5, 2018 #6 of 43
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    My guess is, the TiVo rep. was blowing smoke at you. When you connect your TiVo box to your TV, the box is only using the TV as a display, effectively (and totally sidestepping the TV's "SmartTV" functionality, still separately available if you use the TV in its TV mode as vs. the HDMI mode/input for your TiVo box)--absent something bizarre, there should be no issue there.

I'm assuming that your TiVo box is connected to the TV via HDMI cable. When you turn the TV on, make sure that the TV's input source (there will be a button for this on the TV remote, or it can be selected via the TV's menu) is the HDMI source (e.g. HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3, etc.) for the input that the TiVo box is connected to. And then, your TiVo should be there, as it always has been.

7. Apr 5, 2018 #7 of 43
    WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    OP didn't explain how he attempted connection. If he had a very 'old' TV and used RBG from the Roamio - I don't believe his LG has RGB capability. OP needs to explain much more about his connections. Right now I'd say it's something the OP is missing with the LG OLED set-up.

OP needs to mention which Roamio and needs a set-up poster maybe!!

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  8. Apr 5, 2018 #8 of 43
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    His TV model (see above) has 4 HDMI inputs. And so, simply HDMI connection from TiVo Roamio box to TV. :)

9. Apr 5, 2018 #9 of 43
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Strange. The OP has had the Roamio for years so you’d think he’d be pretty familiar with how things work. Plus, he did talk to TiVo so you’d think the hdmi issue would have been dealt with and further, there wouldn’t be a “fix” for incompatible connectors. Surprised the OP has let this go for so long. Smart tv or dumb tv, it doesn’t matter. I suspect the problem is simply a set up issue on the tv, so maybe he needs to check out the manual on the LG.

10. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    You have been served a steaming hot plate of unicorn poop; that answer is nothing short of ridiculous.

You have not given us enough information to help you in any way. Maybe there is something broken with your box? We have no way of knowing, but there is absolutely nothing "not compatible" about that model of TiVo and currently available TVs.

11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Maybe wait to see if the OP comes back. We all know TiVo gives out nonsense for support. Perhaps the support people now have to sell Bolts?

kpeters59 and krkaufman like this.
  12. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    :rolleyes:

13. MighTiVo

MighTiVo TiVotarian

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Works fine with mine, what problem do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. foyman

foyman New Member

Feb 2, 2018
    MighTiVo---Do you have the same model TV? And to the others who have responded----thanks for your input. I have in fact had the Roamio for several years and am familiar with its operation. That having been said I am not a techie. The specific Roamio model is TCD846500.

As to why I have waited for so long, after talking to the Tivo rep I gave up and ordered the new Channel Master Stream+. The Stream+ is on back order so I thought I'd have another go at the Tivo.

Several of you thought it might be as basic as my connections. I am using HDMI and have tried the different HDMI ports (all 4). But I'm going to follow your advice and once again check ALL connections. Again, thanks for the input.

15. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  16. [NG]Owner

[NG]Owner Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Kansas City
    Sounds to me the Roamio's HDMI port went bad. That has happened to many TivoHD units, why not on a Roamio as well?

Maybe try another device's HDMI on the TV's HDMI port, or the Roamio on another TV's HDMI (or Component/Composite jacks)?

[NG]Owner

17. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Agreed- try a fresh new cable and try the component/composits jacks. Alternatively, you can try on the old TV again to verify that the output is still working.

18. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Unless I missed it, the problem you are having is not described by you well enough to understand the issue you are having.

I have last years B6 model of LG OLED TV. You might want to see if HDR is toggled on for the port that the TiVo is plugged in to. If it is, toggle it off. Also set your TiVo to a fixed resolution. I would start with 1080i. If everything works the try 1080p.

UCLABB and krkaufman like this.
  19. MighTiVo

MighTiVo TiVotarian

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    C7P for me, as I understand the same TV under the skin, some cosmetic and speaker differences is all I know about.

Happy to help and try to replicate the issue, but somehow I have missed what the actual problem is.

I have Bolt, Romeo, Premiere, Apple g3-g5, and the CM stream+ along with many other devices, everything works fine other than the one problem I have with the LG is Audio sync and have given up on it after all manner of testing, connections, and configuration. I have tuned a most of the video settings other than the individual color channels as I have found they are close enough to not warrant all the trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Samsung 4K smart TV and a Roamio basic/4-tuner. The Roamio worked fine from day 1. I just connected the TV to the internet and used the Netflix app. It wasn't immediately obvious how to get back to Tivo...

Have you tried unplugging the Roamio and the smart TV and just letting them sit for several minutes? Have you gone through the settings on the smart TV and made sure it sees the Roamio? Does the Tivo still work on another TV, like your old one? Can you access your Tivo from a smartphone or a PC?