Roamio and MoCA set up

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by armyrctr0, Dec 22, 2016.

1. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    I tried setting up a Roamio and Mini with two Tivo Bridges but can not get the Roamio to connect. I have the coax coming from the wall with my splitter, then one end of the split coax into the modem the other into the bridge. I have the main Ethernet cable coming from the main Ethernet port on the router into the modem and then I have the other Ethernet cable going from the bridge to a port on my router. In my living room I have a cable coax coming from the wall into the splitter with one end going into the Tivo bridge and the other end into the roamio coax connection, and I have the Ethernet coming from the Tivo bridge into the Ethernet port on the roamio. All lights are on. When I try to connect via Ethernet I get an error saying that my router has some TCP ports fail (NO2) and the roamio won't connect. If I try to assign the roamio a static address and I'm not sure I did that right, the instructions said to make sure it wasn't within the range of the router's assigned addresses so I picked one at random and inputted the gateway, subnet mask,etc, I get router not found (NO7). I called Tivo and they were no help. I called Linksys (it's a 1200ac) and they explained to me how to open the ports on my router, which I did, but it did not help. I am at a loss.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It sounds like you have the connections in each room correct, but what remains unknown is how these two rooms connect to each other. Do you know where the coax runs to these rooms come together, and can you report whether they come together at a splitter or amplifier, and what the model # for the device is? And do you have a PoE MoCA filter in place? (More on PoE MoCA filter here: Why? & How?)

If you live in a "multi-dwelling building," you may want to review > this post <, highlighting proper connectivity in such a situation.

Also, have you tried connecting a laptop or PC with an Ethernet port to the remote MoCA adapter to see if they could make a successful network connection through to the router and Internet?

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    A typical setup is: From coax to splitter
    • ->1 leg to modem
    • -> 1 leg to MoCa adapter
      • MoCa Ethernet port to Lan port on router

The Minis do not need a MoCa adapter (Built-in).
    Roamio Plus/Pro also does not need a MoCa adapter (Built-in).
    Roamio Basic/OTA needs a MoCa adapter.

You can also mix ethernet connections with MoCa because its just an extension of your network.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Good point re: Mini, I'd forgotten that was in the mix.

Have you tried connecting the Mini via coax/MoCA, even without the Roamio being able to connect to your MoCA network?

Note that you can verify that your MoCA adapters are working, eliminating concerns with connecting coax lines & equipment, by connecting them directly using a single coax cable between their coax input ports. You'd disconnect the "bridging" MoCA adapter's coax port from your main coax lines for the test, but its Ethernet port would remain connected to a LAN port on your router. And you'd need a laptop or some other device with an Ethernet port connected to the "client" MoCA adapter to verify connectivity through the adapters.

Additionally, you can verify the bridging MoCA adapter is functioning and the Mini capable of connecting via MoCA by directly connecting the Mini to the bridging MoCA adapter's coax in port, and then configuring the Mini for a MoCA connection ("Connect using MoCA").

These confirmation tests can be useful in eliminating possible concerns with the components involved, and may help direct your troubleshooting focus.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    My prior posts focused on verifying the MoCA adapters are properly connecting, but your "all lights are on" comment would seem to indicate they are. Testing the connection by attaching a laptop or PC to the "client" MoCA adapter's Ethernet port would help in determining if there's a configuration issue with the Roamio or a MoCA/network connection issue.

6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    I am just addressing your failed attempt to set a "reserved" IP for your Tivos. There is a difference between setting a fixed/static/reserved IP on the device vs setting it on the router. Without getting into a long explanation it is usually best to do this on the router because in most cases the router controls the IP's. In about 2 minutes of googling "reserved IP on Linksys AC1200", I discovered that on that router, you must "reserve" the IP from something within the DHCP range not outside of it. Linksys Official Support - How to configure DHCP Reservation using your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account which is probably why you got the "router not found."
    Normally, you should not have to mess with any of the port settings on the router either.
    I would try using the normal DHCP settings on the Roamio and reset the router if necessary to start over.
    As far as sorting the MoCA issue, first thing is to let us know which Roamio you are using to determine if it has MoCA builtin....important information.

7. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Also consider that there might be a MOCA signal strength issue. Possibly consider making all the connections 'close by' to test it's all set correctly.

I've had to replace splitters in order to get MOCA working when finally 'distributed' in the house.

MOCA operates in the 1400mHz range. Many splitters are only rated for 900mHz or 1000mHz. I'd found a source of 2400mHz splitters that's solved the problem for me.

Also, sometimes the connections in the 'attic' are a series of multiple splitters that can drag the signal strength down. For those, I like to use a 6 or 8 way splitter. I sometimes use a 16 port splitter if the coax count is high enough.

HTH

-KP

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  8. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    I don't know how they connect. They both come in from the wall from outside, so I imagine there is some kind of junction box where all the coax cables come into the house. They are not connected internally, each room of the house has a coax cable coming in for a television signal. Also I do not have a POE filter, but I ordered one the day before yesterday and it should be here today -Amazon Prime :) - It's a one story house, about 1500 sq ft, not very large, so I don't think there are any long cable runs. I was just wondering if maybe it was the router? Oh by the way, thanks for the info.

9. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016

10. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Haven't thought of that. I will give it a try. Thanks.

11. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Thanks, I just googled setting a static IP, so you gave me more info. Much appreciated. It's the Tivo Roamio (basic 4 tuner), not any of the newer ones with MoCA built in. I really appreciate the help. With all the info on this site I may have this thing up and running today :)

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Just touching all bases, can you report what these two splitters inside the rooms show as their supported frequency range? (You should see something printed on their labels along the lines of "5-1002 MHz.")

And you will want/need to find that central location where the coax lines come together... to identify the connecting components (especially to determine if an amp is involved), similarly note the frequency range supported, and to figure out where that freshly ordered PoE MoCA filter will need to be installed.

13. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Thanks. The splitters are good, they came directly from Tivo and say "Tivo MoCA splitter" on them. I There's a cable box in my backyard that all the cables come from, so I will trace it into the house. Thanks.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Honestly, it *could* be as simple as misconfiguring the IP setup, or the Roamio having issues with same; I kinda jumped on the MoCA thing since that seems the most frequent roadblock and your symptoms appeared to match -- but then every issue may appear to be a nail to a hammer. ;)

fcfc2's suggestion...
    ... to initially give DHCP a try (allowing the Roamio to automatically receive an IP address assigned by the router) is a good one. Configuring static/reserved IPs for the TiVo equipment usually comes later, when customizing the setup for the longer term or to address a connectivity issue.

15. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Thanks, but that's how I initially did it. When that didn't work, I restored my router to factory settings so all other devices were not stored in it and tried to use DHCP again and it didn't work. That's when I tried (and did it wrong obviously) to configure a Static IP. It would not connect via ethernet (the only option with the first Roamio) so I tried to connect wirelessly. It prompted me to unplug my ethernet cable and when I did that, I still got router not found. I then went to the home page and used the help menu to restart the Roamio from the beginning setup process and when I got to select internet, I chose wireless (since the ethernet cable was unplugged) and it connected. I then plugged the ethernet cable in and it was connected via ethernet so I went into my other room to connect the mini. When I was going through the setup process, NO7 router not found prompt popped up. Went back into the livingroom and the Roamio had lost it's connection. That's when I decided to join this forum. Thanks.

16. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Are you sure you don't have that "random IP" information still working on the Roamio?

17. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Sorry, I don't understand the question? Not sure what a random IP is, but I disconnected everything now and just have the roamio running over wireless. I looked at my router map and it has the roamio's IP on there. For future reference, if I do have to give it a static IP, do I use the IP that the router has assigned it wirelessly or do I use another one. Thanks

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Where do you stand on testing the MoCA adapters using a direct coax cable connection between them? Or connecting a Mini directly to the bridging MoCA adapter's coax port and configuring the Mini for MoCA? (The Mini will complain when it can't find a compatible host DVR to which to connect, but it should still prove MoCA network connectivity.)

When you've successfully connected the MoCA adapter or Mini as MoCA clients, you should then be able to move them to their intended location and see whether the MoCA connectivity remains. If not, then you'll need to do the coax line tracing previously discussed.

19. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Thanks, I've been at work. I got the POE filter and it is at the junction right before the cable comes into the house so it is at the POE on the outside of the house. So if I understand right, where I have the main bridge by the router, connect the mini into the bridge to the port. How do I connect the two MoCA bridges to test them? What's the setup, and how do I do it? The Tivo bridge isn't like the Actionec so I only have an input for the Coax. How do I go coax to coax when they are both male ends?

20. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Looking at the setup, I don't know how to connect the mini directly to the Tivo bridge either. The Tivo Bridge's only output is an Ethernet cable, should I use that instead of the coax? The coax end of the bridge is only an input.