Roamio and Mini remotes - interchangeable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tvmaster2, Jan 17, 2017.

1. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006

Advertisements

Are the remotes for the Roamio's and Mini's interchangeable, ie can either be setup to work with either box, or is there something within each piece of hardware that wants to only see the remote which came with the master unit?

The reason I ask is because the remote I use for my mini, which either came with the Roamio or the Mini, causes the Mini to lock-up. If I use an old, Premiere remote with the Mini, I get zero problems. If I use one of the newer, stubby remotes, communication ceases after a set amount of time

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Since the Mini v2 came out, both the Roamio and the Mini have the same remote (C00270). In RF mode, they don't affect units unless they are paired with them, and only one unit paired at a time. IR mode is different, and someone else will have to comment on that.

If you use the Roamio remote, just use TiVo + "C" buttons to put it into IR mode. Then they will act the same. As for selecting the IR remote channel, that's more work but only needed if two TiVo units are within visual range.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  3. Zonker007

Zonker007 Member

Oct 3, 2015
    I have the Mini v1 and I can confirm that they are Interchangeable from Roamio to Mini and vice-versa

Z

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have two Roamio, two Premiere and four Mini boxes. To avoid cramps, and to allow use in the dark, all are using the RF remote. I just couldn't make my old brain adjust to two different layouts. I do have a few spare IR remotes though. Its part number is C00221.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

See >this post< discussing the Mini v1 (92000) and Mini v2 (93000) remotes.

'gist: Your Premiere remote works with your Mini because it's communicating with your Mini via Infrared.

And it sounds like your original Mini is a Mini v2 and is having difficulty w/ RF remote communication. Possibilities include bad RF module in the Mini or the remote, or the Vizio TV is putting out an RF signal that is interfering with the Mini's RF communication.

6. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    brilliant, that sounds like a few good reasons. any idea how to measure a TV's RF? And, if the Roamio and Mini were in rooms directly above/below each other, would any RF confusion happen?

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have two RF configured Roamios that are directly above/below each other. No problem. I do believe that the pairing process is coded to a specific unit. The remote that controls my Mini does not control the Roamio two rooms away even if I carry it to the Roamio. That's pairing. Pairing survives a battery removal also.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Nope. :) I can only say that my Mini v2 and its RF remote experienced some RF communication hiccups when I had my Mini sitting just underneath the left side of our 65" Sony LED TV... and those hiccups disappeared when I moved the Mini to the device stack on the cabinet about 2 feet to the left of the TV.

I'm in agreement w/ JoeKustra's response: multiple TiVo RF remotes/devices shouldn't interfere with each other.