Roamio 3TB Hard Drive Failed - Appreciate Some Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by uvmgrad, Mar 11, 2018.

1. uvmgrad

uvmgrad New Member

Mar 11, 2018

Advertisements

I replaced my original Roamio's 500MB hard drive with a 3 TB about 3 years ago. It was working flawlessly until about a week ago. I noticed some of my recordings would start to completely freeze when playing them and required a reboot of the TiVo box. This happened for a couple of days until last night when my program froze and when I restated the Roamio all the lights began to flash quickly and it would not boot up.

I assumed the hard drive was bad and after attempting to reboot a couple of times with only the power cord connected decided to remove the hard drive. I took it out and placed the original one back in and it was working flawlessly.

I am assuming there are bad sectors on the 3 TB drive and would like to first try to repair the sectors and then clone the drive to another 3TB drive. The hard drive appears to be spinning and powers up as normal (no obvious physical damage). I dont want to lose all my kids' programs and season series I have been accumulating over the years.

I tried to connect the 3 TB drive to a SATA enclosure I had lying around and obviously windows did not recognize the disk. I was hoping to run chkdsk to try to identify and repair the bad sectors. I was wondering if someone could point me to how I could start by possibly repairing the bad sectors and then cloning the drive. I am not super technical, but can google and follow directions.

My initial idea was to use MFS tools and create a boot disk and connect the bad 3 TB drive to it and attempt to fix the bad sectors. Is that a legitimate approach and if not, what would the recommended approach be? Thank you in advance for the help

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    There's somewhat of a chance you could still clone the 'bad' drive to a new drive.

-KP

3. uvmgrad

uvmgrad New Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Thanks for the input KP. Are you aware of the steps needed to take to either clone or fix the drive. Is it normal that my windows computer cannot recognize the drive at all?

4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I doubt if there is anything you can do to salvage any of the recordings. One very slight possibility would be to use a program like SpinRite to try and fix it (similar to your own ideas, only that program is actually good!). But since the drive contents had gotten so bad that your box would not even boot with that drive, I'd bet that anything that affects those bad sectors will not enable TiVo to read the drive again. The problems with the drive contents have to be much worse than just a few bad programs.

Cannot hurt to try though, since everything is already lost.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  5. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas

Advertisements

Apparently a 'cloning dock' will do it with minor effort.

Otherwise, I think the state-of-the-art is MFSTools.

Look around here, you'll find it.

-KP

6. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    yes, that drive is a Linux format, not Windoze.

7. uvmgrad

uvmgrad New Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Thanks for the input. Would spinrite actually work with the LINUX based TiVo hard drive? I went to the website and it appears its an MS-DOS based application.

8. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    If I were you, I'd quit playing with it until you've tried a 'salvage operation'. It might be getting worse every time you power it up.

-KP

9. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    You will have to contact them for more information, as I have not used my copy for several years. If I recall correctly, the program can access virtually any drive because it does not depend on the formatting.

10. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Spinrite doesn't care about the disk format - it works at a much lower level than that. That said, it isn't exactly fast. I would expect it to take several days to work through a 3TB drive even on level 2.

If anything can salvage a drive at least long enough to copy it to another drive that's it, but you might want to try a straight duplication with MFSTools or a cloning dock first.

11. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Like to other folks said, use dd_rescue or a cloning dock.

The data on those sectors is likely gone even for spinrite, so trying to recover the data would be my last option.

The dd_rescue or cloning dock options will usually make some effort to re-read/copy the sector (sometime sectors have weak bits and re-reading over and over, you sometimes get a good read) and after a threshold will just insert a zero'd out sector on the copied version.

If the bad sector is in a recordiung, usually the zero'd out sector will cause a glitch but not a reboot, but even if it did cause a reboot, you could just delete the show and the area of disk would be overwritten by new recordings.

I've had good success recovering TiVo disks with bad sectors using dd_rescue, but it may not work for you depending on where your bad sector(s) are.

12. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Spnrite will often "repair" discs that nothing else can touch. No, it cannot replace data that is already gone, but it works in such a way that the drive often becomes usable again even if some files are lost or truncated. The goal here is to try and get the TiVo to actually boot again, then he can try to save any programs that still exist.

13. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    What model 3tb HDD did you use?