Roamia Pro (2015) seems to be dead. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by sbachman, Dec 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sbachman

sbachman New Member

Dec 26, 2018

Advertisements

Hi. I'm new to TiVo and to this forum, but I've read quite a bit of it in the past week! I appreciate any help or insights y'all can provide.

I wanted to stop paying for Comcast boxes and didn't really like their X1 interface, so last week I bought a used 2015 Roamio Pro and 2 Minis with "All-in Service." I had a ton of trouble getting the CableCARD to work, but after hours on the phone with both Comcast and TiVo tech support, it finally worked on Sunday!

Then the main box died on Monday...

My first indication that something was wrong was that the remotes only seemed to work intermittently on one of the Minis. I thought maybe I needed to pair it for RF, but it wouldn't go into pairing mode. So I went to the main box and saw the same symptoms there. I remembered that I had plugged in one of the USB dongle gadgets for a voice remote that came with the purchase. Without thinking, I pulled it out of the Roamio... without unplugging it from power first.

That might have killed it, or maybe it just finished the job. Anyway, the green power light went dark as soon as I yanked the dongle. I tried rebooting. The light came on, so I thought I was okay at first, but it wouldn't complete boot up.

Here is the consistent sequence:
    0 sec - Apply power to box and green light comes on, with TiVo cartoon guy logo on the screen
    40 sec - Amber light flashes quickly for a few seconds, as green light remains on
    1:00 - Gray startup screen displayed on TV
    2:27 - Signal to TV lost
    2:30 - Green light goes dark

I read about the kickstart diagnostic mode, but since I never got a solid amber light, I couldn't follow the procedure.

I called TiVo and the had me pull all the cable and start again. Same exact sequence as above. He said the unit would need to be sent in and I'd need to pay for a swap and pay to transfer the service. I contacted Weaknees and they said it sounds like a bad drive, which would be a $300 repair or I could buy a $250 DIY kit.

Has anyone else experienced this failure profile?
    Thanks!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If it is the hard drive that has gone bad, you could just swap it out with a WD Red, up to 3TB, but it can go to 8TB with some (5-10 min) PC work.

If you send it into Tivo, you would get an inferior Bolt model in return.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    "Dead" means no signs of life. Lights, fan, etc...

Yours is: Not Completing Boot Sequence.

Kickstart would be accessed as quickly as possible immediately after the first Amber Light indication.

You might have luck Cloning your existing Hard Drive to an appropriate replacement unit. It would be much less than buying the Ready-Made unit.

-KP

4. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Active Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    If you were using the HDMI interface, try switching to analog. At one point during boot, the TiVo engages HDCP and if there is a problem with HDCP the screen will go blank. I have several TiVos with failed HDMI/HDCP outputs that run happily on the RGB analog outputs.

Power supply failure is another possibility. Not hard or expansive to fiox.

5. sbachman

sbachman New Member

Dec 26, 2018

Advertisements

Thanks for that heads-up. The rep I spoke with said it would be replaced with the same model (Roamio Pro), but I'll be sure to double check this.

6. Steve-O

Steve-O Member

Jul 1, 2011
    I just got a Roamio Plus refurb from Weaknees. First thing I did was to replace the WD10EURS (WD-AV) drive with a WD30EFRX (Red) drive. The Roamio took me through all of Guided Setup with no problems, but on final boot, after "Starting Up" had been on screen for a few minutes, just at the point where I think it should have presented the TiVo UI, the screen and green light went dark!

I put back the WD10EURS that Weaknees had supplied and, after upgrading to the new UI, the TiVo is working.

I don't know if the power supply is too anemic for the WD Red (it's a 5400rpm drive after all), but putting the green drive back in did the trick for me.

Hope you can draw something from my experience this week.

7. sbachman

sbachman New Member

Dec 26, 2018
    Thanks! I'll see if I can rustle up an analog cable and try that tomorrow.
    Would a power supply problem typically allow the fan to run and the 2.5 minute partial boot-up?

8. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
  9. sbachman

sbachman New Member

Dec 26, 2018
    Thanks for sharing that! Your experience seems to reinforce the "bad drive" theory of the Weaknees rep. But, come to think of it, maybe it also supports the "bad power supply" theory. I suppose it depends on whether a dying, but not totally dead PS would power the fan and processor but not the hard drive, and whether that would cause the boot-up process to fail consistently at the 2.5 minute mark.

10. sbachman

sbachman New Member

Dec 26, 2018
    Thanks KP. I did try to activate kickstart as soon as the amber light started flashing. However, from what I've read here and from what the TiVo rep stated, I'm not getting far enough through the boot process to activate kickstart. I don't ever get to the point where the amber light goes solid and the gray STARTUP screen changes to the ALMOST THERE screen. The amber light only flickers at the 0:40 mark, and never comes on again after the STARTUP screen comes on at the 1:00 mark.
    The Weaknees rep said one cannot enter kickstart if the drive is totally dead.

11. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Pull the drive, hook it up to a computer, and run WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics. That will confirm that it's the problem or eliminate it. Either way it's one less variable in your troubleshooting process.

You start the kickstart as soon as the amber light starts flashing, but note that the remote has to be in IR mode.

kpeters59 likes this.
  12. sbachman

sbachman New Member

Dec 26, 2018
    Alright, for anyone interested, here's an update:
    1. Before going to bed last night, I checked to see if the fan was still running on the Roamio Pro. It was not and there were no lights on. It was plugged in, with cable and HDMI connected.
    2. This morning, I noticed that both the green LED on the left side (power) and the red LED on the right (looks like a circle and a close parenthesis) were both on.
    3. Turned on the TV and the TiVo menu was displayed. Live TV would not display (solved later, see below.)
    4. Called Comcast CableCARD support line and started through their debug procedure, but stopped at the point where they told me to reboot the Roamio Pro. I still haven't rebooted it, cuz I'm chicken.
    5. Called TiVo support to see if there was a way to check the hard drive without rebooting. He said there is no way to do it, but he also did not know what kickstart was when I mentioned it. He then looked up kickstart and said he would email me an article about how to use it. He said that TiVo was having general issues across many users and the I should wait awhile to see if the troubles I've had since Monday are resolved via whatever system-wide updates TiVo is doing. I got the impression that he was just trying to get me off the phone. Can't imagine why... (Never received the kickstart article, btw.)
    6. I eventually figured out that the splitter the Comcast tech had installed in the outside service box is either defective or was improperly installed. The splitter is an Amphenol IPGH3M4-VF. It has an input, 3 Hybrid outputs and 4 MoCA outputs. The 2 cable lines that were not working were attached to MoCA ports. (I verified that they were not working by connecting a Comcast adapter box (non-X1 cable box) directly to those ports and seeing that the green LED never went solid.) [UPDATE: I researched the splitter and learned that the MoCA ports filter out the QAM signal. Once I connected the Roamio Pro to the Hybrid port and the Minis to the MoCA ports, everything works.]
    5. So, this explains why it took so long to debug the CableCARD pairing problem last week. I initially had the TiVo connected to a bad (or inappropriate) port on the splitter, but it didn't SEEM bad because the X1 box worked fine. That X1 box was the smaller slave box, fed by the larger X1 box that was attached to one of the working Hybrid ports on the splitter. Apparently, the MoCA port can output the signal from the X1 master box, but cannot output the raw QAM signal from Comcast. The CableCARD worked once I tried swapping it to an outlet that (as I learned today) is attach to a Hybrid port on the splitter.
    7. Now the Roamio Pro and both Minis seem to be working, including the Comcast live TV.
    8. I have no clue why I was having the earlier problem with the remotes followed by the inability for the TiVo to boot up, as described in my OP. Maybe it was the "system-wide TiVo problems" mentioned in (5) above, but that seems unlikely. My current guess is that I might soon need to deal with a power supply and/or hard drive that is currently on the hairy edge. When I get the nerve to try rebooting, I'll try running kickstart.

I'll post again if I learn more. Thanks and Happy New Year to all!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    sakaike, kpeters59 and JoeKustra like this.
  13. sbachman

sbachman New Member

Dec 26, 2018
    The Roamio Pro seems to be working fine and it reboots without issues, so I've tried to enter Kickstart with code 54, to test the hard drive. I followed the instructions and after entering the 54 code, I get the alternating GREEN/AMBER flashing lights for about 5 seconds, which is supported to indicate that the code has been accepted. The

14. sbachman

sbachman New Member

Dec 26, 2018
    (oops, accidently posted. continued from above)
    The reboot happens after the 54 code entry, but I never get the kickstart menu; it just boots up to the normal TiVo menu, with the live TV in the background.
    Maybe I need to unplug the attached Minis to enter kickstart?

15. sbachman

sbachman New Member

Dec 26, 2018
    TiVo eventually sent the kickstart instructions, which stated that I should enter code 57. I tried that, using the same procedure that I'd tried for entering code 54. It worked, so I guess TiVo's servers are working to restore any file system errors. The Green Screen of Death indicated that it will take 3 hours...Fingers crossed!
    I don't know why the kickstart worked for code 57 on the first try, but wouldn't work for code 54 on multiple attempts.

16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  17. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Based on recent posts, KS57 is broken and will probably put your TiVo in a boot loop. Use KS58 instead.

kpeters59 likes this.
  18. sbachman

sbachman New Member

Dec 26, 2018
    Thanks. I went back to check on it about 20 minutes after starting KS57. It had booted back up to live TV. Not sure whether that routine did anything useful, but at least it didn't go into a loop! I tried KS54 again afterward and it was the same as before; rebooted and never displayed the Hard Drive Menu.
    I think I'm going to stop messing with Kickstart and just hope for the best, since it seems to be stable now.
    Before returning my Comcast boxes, it would have been nice to know that the Roamio Pro has a clean bill of health. But for whatever reason, I haven't been able to get any meaningful info from Kickstart.
    Thanks again to everyone for the help, and sorry to end on such a vague note.