Roam died - a question

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by David Knowles, Jun 10, 2016.

1. David Knowles

David Knowles Member

Apr 8, 2005

Advertisements

I got home a couple of days ago to find my Roamio Plus stuck on the start up screen and all the lights blinking. Tried rebooting, no luck.

I called Tivo and they confirmed what I knew - it's dead.

They are sending me another one, but I do have one question-

I had quite a bit of programs on the old one so if I decide to, could I take the drive out of the old machine and put it into the new one and have access to the programming (assuming that the drive didn't fail)

I asked Tivo and they said that it would void the warranty on the replacement but I may want to risk it...

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  2. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    What happens when you attempt to reboot? Does your TiVo power on?
    It could be the hard drive in it that's bad, in that case I would think any shows on it to be lost.
    If it powers on the hard drive could be replaced easy enough.
    If it won't power on the power supply could be what's bad and the hard drive could be placed in a new TiVo saving your recordings or you could get a new power supply for it.
    It takes a little more skill than it does to replace the hdd but not a whole lot.
    Best of luck

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk.

3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    The simple answer is, no, you can't put the old drive into the new box to sVe your recordings.

4. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    If he could get it to power up for a little while then he possibly could transfer his non copy protected shows over to a PC using kmttg or TiVo desktop or Archivo. Then transfer them to the new Roamio with pyTivo or TD.

5. Thom

Thom The Fatman's got his eye on you, kid

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.

Advertisements

Buy a used Roamio Plus or Pro, remove its power supply, and install the power supply into your dead Roamio. Assuming, of course, the problem is the power supply and not the main board.

6. David Knowles

David Knowles Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Thanks for everyone's advise.

The new Roamio should arrive today and I guess I will just loose the old programming.

The old one will not boot and the lights just blink.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Unless there have been drastic changes made in the newest models (and I'm pretty sure it would have been big news), this is incorrect.

Each TiVo has a unique TiVo Service Number. Not each model, but each individual box.

Recordings made on a TiVo are keyed to that number, and placing the drive from one TiVo into another, even if they're the exact same model, results in a TiVo that boots up but won't do anything else until it has erased the TSN (stored on the hard drive) of the old unit and replaced it with the TSN of the current unit.

Once this is done, the recordings that were on there (although the ones and zeros may still be on the drive) are no longer accessible because of the TSN mismatch.

The only way to "divorce" a recording from the TSN in effect when it was made (if the anti-copy bit wasn't set) is to copy it off to another TiVo or a PC.

You will then have a copy which can be played on that other TiVo (that has to be on the same account and have the same Media Access Key) or on the PC (again, same MAK necessary), but the original on the original drive is still keyed to the original TSN.

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Your old one is possibly dying because of a bad hard drive so you may be able to revive the old one by putting a new hard drive in it.. It will just reformat a drive..

or you could try hooking the old drive to a computer and using the various tools to copy the programs off... presuming it even shows up on the computer.

9. Richdmoore

Richdmoore New Member

May 24, 2015
    Never mind. Please delete

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016